Man City

Guest BooBoo

i've decided that i want man city to finish in the top 4 for the next couple of seasons and hopefully arsenal or liverpool will drop out the champs league both seasons.

I would love to see Liverpool drop out.

If anyone drops out it will be Liverpool.

But it won't be Man City who finish 4th.

i've decided that i want man city to finish in the top 4 for the next couple of seasons and hopefully arsenal or liverpool will drop out the champs league both seasons.

Yeah screw the toon, Man City wheeeeeeeeeeeeeyyy.

I've decided to do a Lee Stewart and am now a Man City fan, man I feel sorry for all you poor bastards suffering.

what the f*** are you on about ?

Just saying I've decided to support Man City.

no you haven't. i just thought you were attempting to make out thats what i was saying.

i hope if anyone drops out its liverpool but i think it'll be spurs,citeh and everton putting pressure on arsenal.

Yeah screw the toon, Man City wheeeeeeeeeeeeeyyy.

I've decided to do a Lee Stewart and am now a Man City fan, man I feel sorry for all you poor bastards suffering.

what the f*** are you on about ?

Just saying I've decided to support Man City.

no you haven't. i just thought you were attempting to make out thats what i was saying.

i hope if anyone drops out its liverpool but i think it'll be spurs,citeh and everton putting pressure on arsenal.

Yeah, I'd like to see liverpool drop out as well for some reason, I don't know why but I've always hated them more than anyone else other than Sunderland of course and maybe Spuds.

Looking forward to seeing them this season, anyone see David Dunn in the papers today, saying Blackburn are going to kick lumps out of them? Hope City turn them over.

Hope they break a couple of legs. Who are City's most expensive players? Actually, scratch that, hope they get a couple of centre-backs injured so they have no defence but still have to find something for all those forwards to do.

They way they've pursued Lescott deserves looking into really.

Aye its a disgrace, they were not told to up their offer they were told straight NOT FOR SALE, then Hughes saying talks on are still ongoiing, Moyes says no they fkn aint, I say who gets sold and we are NOT selling.

They way they've pursued Lescott deserves looking into really.

Aye its a disgrace, they were not told to up their offer they were told straight NOT FOR SALE, then Hughes saying talks on are still ongoiing, Moyes says no they fkn aint, I say who gets sold and we are NOT selling.

I remember Everton telling us & Man Utd that Rooney wasn't for sale. Didn't stop us increasing our bids and him leaving anyway.

I guess it was "a disgrace" as well after we'd made our bid when Shepherd, Shearer & Robson all said they'd love to sign him even after the £20m bid was rejected?

Guest Heneage

I imagine Fergie would be quite envious of City's position. Man United aren't quite the financial super power they once were, and you could read a lot into the fact Ronaldo's head was turned by Madrid. By no means are City proper contenders in the market, but they have literally limitless money, like 10 fold what chelsea had, and we saw them spend £300m in the space of 2 years.

If City are clever, they will spend money on their academy as well. Clubs are starting to realise success begins with academies, the Champions League winners started with seven players produced by the club, the only club who came close to that were Boro who were relegated, so you have to be careful. It's about bringing players from both internally and externally from the country in which your team is based.  

If they have sense they won't limit their searches, Dutch and Argentinians are fashionable players, but if you look at the likes of Eastern Europe there are a lot of interesting good young players, Zhirkov, Akinfeev and Dzageov of Russia, Modric of Croatia then we have our own Harris Vukicic. The problem will be the fact City's owners can sustain multi million pound investment for years to come, something Abramovich couldn't.

In some ways, City will be an interesting project to watch. It has the potential to be the making of a tremendous football club that could compete, or it could end up crippling them when their owners get bored of the play thing as it would appear Roman has.

• 4 weeks later...

The real price of Carlos Tevez?

£47 million: the bill for Carlos Tevez to cross the Manchester divide

Manchester City are paying an astonishing £47 million fee to Carlos Tévez’s private “owners” in a move that obliterates the British transfer record. The deal makes the Argentina striker the fifth most expensive footballer of all time.

City’s billionaire Arab owners have agreed to pay almost twice the £25.5 million fee widely reported to have changed hands, The Times can reveal. An initial £15 million payment is to be followed by two additional sums of £16 million.

Another £3.5 million will be paid if City win the Champions League while Tévez is at the club — an improbable scenario, but Sheikh Mansour has already shown the lengths to which he is prepared to go to transform the club from perennial underachievers into contenders for the biggest prizes.

One of the Sheikh’s first moves when he took over 12 months ago was to smash the British transfer record by paying Real Madrid £34.2 million for Robinho, the Brazil forward.

But that fee is dwarfed by the £47 million deal for Tévez, which ranks behind only the signings of Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Kaká, and Zinédine Zidane, for £80 million, £60.7 million, £56.1 million and £47.2 million respectively, as the most expensive.

The revelation is the latest twist in the extraordinary saga surrounding Tévez, whose name has rarely been out of the headlines since he arrived at West Ham United in August 2006 and sparked huge controversy about third-party ownership.

And it deepens the mystery about where the money is going.

The Times understands that it is paid to two offshore companies but Kia Joorabchian, the businessman who fronts the consortium that owned the rights to Tévez until City bought the player outright in July, has never explained who the beneficiaries are.

Nonetheless, Tévez has represented a handsome bit of business. The investors stand to make an estimated profit of at least £50 million from an assortment of fees received for a player whose “economic rights” they originally bought from Boca Juniors for £14 million in 2004.

They are understood to include a fee of £4.5 million from West Ham, where Tévez spent the 2006-07 season, a £9 million payment from Manchester United to cover the cost of the player’s two-year “loan” at Old Trafford and now the sum from City.

City’s outlay does not end there, though. On top of the £47 million fee, the club are paying Tévez a salary of £7.5 million a year, or just under £145,000 a week. His wages over a five-year contract take City’s total projected outlay on the striker to £84.5 million, a staggering sum even by City’s inflated standards.

In all, City’s billionaire owner has committed £770.986 million, which includes the £200 million it cost to buy the club, the £342.786 million committed on players’ contracts and £10 million spent on improving the Carrington training headquarters, City of Manchester Stadium and the club’s academy. Mark Hughes, the City manager, has spent £140 million on six leading players this summer and £218.2 million in transfer fees in total since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover, during which time City’s annual wage bill has more than doubled to just under £95 million.

So over 5 years Tevez will cost them £84.5m.  Fucking hell, that's insane.  :kasper:

The money side of things is irrelevant. They've got so much money behind them it doesn't even matter how much he's going to cost. The fact they took him from under United's nose was the important thing - it sends out a signal.

They're shitting money and this is only the start of it tbh. They'll win the League soon enough.

The money side of things is irrelevant. They've got so much money behind them it doesn't even matter how much he's going to cost. The fact they took him from under United's nose was the important thing - it sends out a signal.

They're shitting money and this is only the start of it tbh. They'll win the League soon enough. 

Just like shagging a prossie. You get your win but no-one's actually impressed with you.

Just like shagging a prossie. You get your win but no-one's actually impressed with you.

Money talks.

They're stupidly rich and when they win something some people will, rightly, say they've bought it. But most clubs that have been successful over the years have spent a shit load. It's a canny rule of thumb - the more you spend on good players, the more you win. Doesn't always work out like that obviously but generally speaking...

Money talks.

They're stupidly rich and when they win something some people will, rightly, say they've bought it. But most clubs that have been successful over the years have spent a shit load. It's a canny rule of thumb - the more you spend on good players, the more you win. Doesn't always work out like that obviously but generally speaking...

Yep. Ambition + financial clout =  :thup:

[/potentialcanofworms]

Money talks.

Yep. Ambition + financial clout =  :thup:

[/potentialcanofworms]

no can of worms there tbh. Just common sense. There's a limited number of pots to win each year and subsequently some big names are going to win precisely fuck all. Some big teams spending a fortune will end up with nowt. They can't all win something.

To be honest I think it might be a good thing that ManCity ends up winning the treble or something, since hopefully it will highlight how f***ed up the sport is nowadays. I remember back in the time where a well managed and astutely built club could go all the way, now it's impossible without the cash.

I know that's a bit rich coming from somebody who supports Barça, but I generally enjoy the competition less than 10 or 20 years ago. The Spanish league, for example, is fast becoming a joke akin to the SPL.

I wouldn't give a fuck if City "bought" the league. They will have done what they had to to get to that position. Isn't everyone saying it's too boring with the "top 4 winning everything" anyway?

I'd agree with that. Money alone won't win games of football - players will. The money has to be spent well on players that will get results.

I reckon they'll finish 4th this season and then spend another fortune to break the top 2. In 5 years time they'll have won the league imo. They're putting their money where their mouth is and part of me wants them to be successful - if only to drop the sickening scouse cunts out of the CL/top 4.