Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Everyone in this thread is an idiot who is doomed to an awful life due to a series of woeful decisions.

You guys had the chance, you could've made it out. No-one would've looked down upon you, you're not even from the area.. You could've won title after title with Man Utd, watched an unbeaten season with Arsenal, you could've experienced the glory of THAT champions league final vs AC Milan or you could've watched The Great One run the Russian Revolution.

But no. You got Nicky Butt. And its your own stupid fault.

Guest palnese

Everyone in this thread is an idiot who is doomed to an awful life due to a series of woeful decisions.

You guys had the chance, you could've made it out. No-one would've looked down upon you, you're not even from the area.. You could've won title after title with Man Utd, watched an unbeaten season with Arsenal, you could've experienced the glory of THAT champions league final vs AC Milan or you could've watched The Great One run the Russian Revolution.

Love it :)

Growing up in Colchester I hardly even knew football existed until I was 14 (except for the 1990 world cup, Waddle) was always too busy riding bikes, building ramps, climbing trees and falling off said intrests. Until one day when my now best mate moved to my school. He got me into the beautiful game as he used to play for the Chelsea youth team,. (upfront with Jody Morris)

He supported Liverpool and lent me some videos so that I could get my fix for something I fell instantly in love with, there was some season reviews, best goals, a Dalglish one, Ian Rush and last but not least a Peter Beardsley one. His one was so good I was mesmorised. Watched it about 10 times before he stole it back off me. He was desperately trying to "recruit me" as our other best mate was a avid Man Ure fan, and there were Arsenal and Spurs fans in with our crowd also.

It was the summer of '93 and I vividly remember coming in from a kick about (of which I was obviously shite and getting ribbed off the lads who had all been playing since they could walk  :angry:) they were all still badgering away at me. Support this team, support my one. Until my mate got the teletext up and bang there it was! BEARDSLEY RE-SIGNS FOR NEWCASTLE. That was me there and then.

Been going to as many games as I can afford, home, away, a couple abroad. (all those years ago) It only works out to be 8-12 a season but its quite funny, because I'm the only one out of all of us that has actually gone to any. None of them have ever been to their "home grounds" let alone away. Soopa fan alert!!! I've even been able to drag both of them up Toon a couple times :lol:

Anyway, I've been hooked since day one and will as they say "bleed black and white until the day that I die" The Man Ure fan is still to this day trying to get me to jump ship. Always reminding me of how much happier I would of been if I'd of listened to him and went his way all them years ago. Think he is just tired of all my pure hatred towards them down the years. But it will never change!

Good story this. :thup: And few other good ones in here. Makes a nice change from the doom and gloom threads.

My grandfather immigrated to Canada from South Shields. I never knew him, but I've always been interested in my roots in England, so when it came time to pick a team, Newcastle United seemed the logical choice. I also cheer for the English national team, though only because Canada never compete in any way against them.

Can't really get into MLS too much.  No point following another league if I didn't have a team to root for. Refused to follow ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. Didn't really care to support a London-based team. Did a little research into the club's history and the city's history -- seemed a good fit. Eventually realized the lunacy I signed up for -- confirmed good fit.

Pretty much the same here...it's always a little odd for us in the States with no natural team. I am trying to make it to SJP for a match once I've got the money, though. (Who knows what league they'll be in at that point.)

geordie born and bred but the best story i heard about non geordies supporting nufc was at watford a long long time ago when i think john anderson scored. made it to watford via the train. in some pub was a load of 16/17yr old toon ans with cockney accents. on questioning they told us that about 3 years previous a geordie had moved into their school class and in the fullness of time had dragged them off to a toon game (at charlton i think). for most of them it was there first proper game and first travel without their parents.......they enjoyed the experience so much they became nufc fans.

that day at watford was also our first meeting with brenda of the london branch.

Growing up in Colchester I hardly even knew football existed until I was 14 (except for the 1990 world cup, Waddle) was always too busy riding bikes, building ramps, climbing trees and falling off said intrests. Until one day when my now best mate moved to my school. He got me into the beautiful game as he used to play for the Chelsea youth team,. (upfront with Jody Morris)

He supported Liverpool and lent me some videos so that I could get my fix for something I fell instantly in love with, there was some season reviews, best goals, a Dalglish one, Ian Rush and last but not least a Peter Beardsley one. His one was so good I was mesmorised. Watched it about 10 times before he stole it back off me. He was desperately trying to "recruit me" as our other best mate was a avid Man Ure fan, and there were Arsenal and Spurs fans in with our crowd also.

It was the summer of '93 and I vividly remember coming in from a kick about (of which I was obviously s**** and getting ribbed off the lads who had all been playing since they could walk  :angry:) they were all still badgering away at me. Support this team, support my one. Until my mate got the teletext up and bang there it was! BEARDSLEY RE-SIGNS FOR NEWCASTLE. That was me there and then.

Been going to as many games as I can afford, home, away, a couple abroad. (all those years ago) It only works out to be 8-12 a season but its quite funny, because I'm the only one out of all of us that has actually gone to any. None of them have ever been to their "home grounds" let alone away. Soopa fan alert!!! I've even been able to drag both of them up Toon a couple times :lol:

Anyway, I've been hooked since day one and will as they say "bleed black and white until the day that I die" The Man Ure fan is still to this day trying to get me to jump ship. Always reminding me of how much happier I would of been if I'd of listened to him and went his way all them years ago. Think he is just tired of all my pure hatred towards them down the years. But it will never change!

Great Story the first one for many month in this fourm....

1969, I just started to get into football and being taken to see the Swans with a mate by his dad.

But in school everyone had their favoutrite 1st division team and hardly anyone supported our local team (well we were just outside Swansea). Most supported the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, etc. But I just liked the name 'Newcastle', plus they played in black and white just like the Swans.

It didn't harm that they hade just won the Fairs Cup as well.

So when all the chat came to Match of the Day, I just backed the corner of Newcastle and have done ever since.

Swansea's still my first team mind  :iamatwat:

Being relegated means I don't get to see any games where I'm not impartial out here in the wastelands of Canada, where I now live.  :no:

I've actually got a link to the city and to the club even though I'm Norwegian. My father lived and worked in Newcastle during the promotion season and the season after when Keegan was in charge. He went to games and so he influenced my older brother, who in turn got me to support Newcastle. Didn't really understand much of football until a few years after my dad had worked there (was about 3-4 years old at that time), but I remember visiting quite a few times and I have some great memories from back then. Been completely hooked since about 97, just about when Dalglish began to fuck it up. Went to a match at SJP for the first time in 2004, and absolutely loved it. Trying to get to at least one game a season now, just a shame the whole thing costs about as much as a season ticket.

1969, I just started to get into football and being taken to see the Swans with a mate by his dad.

But in school everyone had their favoutrite 1st division team and hardly anyone supported our local team (well we were just outside Swansea). Most supported the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, etc. But I just liked the name 'Newcastle', plus they played in black and white just like the Swans.

So when all the chat came to Match of the Day, I just backed the corner of Newcastle and have done ever since.

Being relegated means I don't get to see any games where I'm not impartial out here in the wastelands of Canada, where I now live.  :no:

and we haven't won a thing since. You're the curse!

I know this threads not meant for locals, but here we go. I'm not from a footballing family and discovered it all by myself at the late age of 7, I'd literally never heard of it until I saw a Sunderland vs Stoke match on telly. Chester-le-Street is pretty much in the middle of Newcastle and Sunderland, but I'd always disliked the scummy feel  around the word Sunderland and picked Newcastle. Then we signed Shearer and then the magic began......then it ended. And here we are!!! Gradually the whole family has caught the bug but within the last year theyve pretty much lost interest again. Don't really blame them, I wish I could. But thanks to god damned loyalty, I'm here for life  :no:

and we haven't won a thing since. You're the curse!

It's something that I've thought of more than once, I've often thought 'why couldn't I have supported Manchester sodding United'  :rolleyes:

I know this threads not meant for locals, but here we go. I'm not from a footballing family and discovered it all by myself at the late age of 7, I'd literally never heard of it until I saw a Sunderland vs Stoke match on telly. Chester-le-Street is pretty much in the middle of Newcastle and Sunderland, but I'd always disliked the scummy feel  around the word Sunderland and picked Newcastle. Then we signed Shearer and then the magic began......then it ended. And here we are!!! Gradually the whole family has caught the bug but within the last year theyve pretty much lost interest again. Don't really blame them, I wish I could. But thanks to god damned loyalty, I'm here for life  :no:

You'd never heard of football?

You'd never heard of football?

and then it was sunderland and stoke so quite a possibilty he was 9 beore actually seeing any football.

You guys had the chance, you could've made it out. No-one would've looked down upon you, you're not even from the area.. You could've won title after title with Man Utd, watched an unbeaten season with Arsenal,<b> you could've experienced the glory of THAT champions league final vs AC Milan</b> or you could've watched The Great One run the Russian Revolution.

:lol: That's the game that made me a fan of the sport. I stepped away from Liverpool when I realized how big that win was.

I can remember at about 4 ,my mam bought me some football style red and white striped pj's and my Dad saying to her,"What the ****$$$"" have you made that poor bairn wear,"than proceeded to put me in non offensive coloured pj's and burnt the offending garment in the incinerator/dustbin with holes in outside.

I was never going to be anything but a Mag.

Interesting read and it raises an intriguing point about our future fans. Many people who became fans from outside the area were 'chramed' by Shearer, Keegan, entertaining football etc and for the current crop of young pups growing up and looking for a team to latch onto, we have more or less no chance of being considered.

Being from the Toon, it's hard for me to empathise with those who 'chose' to support us, but the way I see it we are gong to be short of fresh recruits in Norway, North Dakota, Nuneaton and Nairobi.

Yeah, recently my 12 yr old nephew asked me which team I thought he should support, and I said stay clear of Newcastle if you want to avoid miserable pain and suffering. Also stay clear of Sunderland and 'Boro if you want to have me as your uncle  :iamatwat:

My Dads family are all from near Durham, half red and half black. No idea why but was asked aged 5 which team I supported and said Newcastle. A few days later my 6th birthday present arrived and I opened up the 1997 home shirt. I wore it for the rest of that day and never looked back.

:lol:

Yeah, sometimes I think of that. But when I consider the fanbase of the clubs you just mentioned, just being associated with them makes me sick to the stomach, so NUFC it is lol.

:lol:

Yeah, sometimes I think of that. But when I consider the fanbase of the clubs you just mentioned, just being associated with them makes me sick to the stomach, so NUFC it is lol.

thats a bit harsh, we still have Ameobi, and we HAD Titus Bramble :D  :iamatwat:

Guest Alan_Shearer

1) Alan Shearer

2) Was 8, so thought i should start supporting a team, and all i knew was i hated Man U, so a team comes and beats them 5-0...they are my team :).