Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer, saw him on the tube pre Newcastle days, then Euro 96 was on ESPN here in America, was 100% sold, Newcastle love immediately fell in and there was no turning back for me, even as depressed and insanely negative I am, still the love doesn't falter.

Mind you I should have been a Liverpool, Leicester supporter growing up as my uncle and brother tried to brainwash me.  My father and his family grew up in Leicester/London so its a wonder how I was allowed to walk around with a Toon top in our humble home in Florida. 

Simply put though, will always be Shearer. He's the reason I fell in love with football, stayed in love with football, and will always love football.

Guest helios_centric

Interesting read and it raises an intriguing point about our future fans. Many people who became fans from outside the area were 'chramed' by Shearer, Keegan, entertaining football etc and for the current crop of young pups growing up and looking for a team to latch onto, we have more or less no chance of being considered.

Being from the Toon, it's hard for me to empathise with those who 'chose' to support us, but the way I see it we are gong to be short of fresh recruits in Norway, North Dakota, Nuneaton and Nairobi.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Either 'The Entertainers' era attracted them or its their random premier league team... or friends and family from the area.

Guest cfhpantera27

To be honest probably wanting to be different, i was 10yrs old and everybody i knew seemed to support Man Utd or Liverpool, Newcastle had just been promoted and Andy Cole was banging goals in for fun.. so i chose to follow NUFC, ..also liked the black and white stripes  :cheesy:

Nice to read all these stories from non Geordies, whatever you reasons you must be commended for the lifetime of misery you signed up for :p Seriously though, although things look pretty bad right now and there is hardly a sign of the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm sure at some point in the future things will turn around. I still feel proud to follow the toon despite everything.

I'm a Geordie so I have no story to tell.

I think the fact that people abroad - like in Sweden - can watch pretty much any Premier League game they want to, will mean that the big clubs will get even more global support. Wolves, for example, have a great support in Sweden because they were on every now and then in the 80's, but if the kids of today sit themselves in front of the TV, they'll choose to watch Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U or Liverpool ahead of Bolton, Wigan, West Ham, Villa etc. any day of the week.

Guest rinaldo #18

All of us aren't gloryhuters..

Joking aside, my dad has supportet Toon his whole life. And when growing up in Belfast all of his friends supported Pool' but thankfully he chose Newcastle. He gave me my first shirt on my first birthday, since then i've always supported Newcastle.

When I was 5, I saw Shearer playing in Euro 96 and asked my dad who he played for as he was my favourite England player. Now I could never imagine supporting anyone else, no matter how bad things get.

The answer at that time was Blackburn. :razz:

Might have been after then. Give us a break man I was 5! :lol:

I'll let you off but if Tooj sees this sort of lax football knowledge there'll be bother.

:lol: I honestly was going to mention that.....

Guest Brummiemag

Moved from Warrington to Newcastle (cos my dad changed jobs) when I was 2 years old and then moved to Brum when I was 9 years old in 1973, but by then I was already in love with the toon.  At the time lived first in Byker, then in Coalway Drive, Whickham where you could see the floodlights out of the upstairs window.

Came back as a student when I was 18 in 1982 at Newcastle Poly and lived in Fenham and Benwell. Fantastic times drinking in the Darn Crook before the game and standing in the corner of the Gallowgate

Plastic fan tbh  :sadnod:

None of my family have links with Newcastle - my mum's side are all from Manchester and support Man U whereas my dad's from Airdrie. When I was about 5 or 6, Newcastle were one of the best teams going and used to be king on the old football management games I played with my dad, which gave me an initial interest in the club. My dad reckons I started seriously following after watching the 3-2 game against Barca and just being bowled over by it all - Tino's hatrick and his class celebration, Gillespie bombing down the wing and the like. Got my first football shirt, the 97-98 home one with the itchy collar, that Christmas and have just gone on from there really! It's likely to be frowned upon by a lot on here but meh  :crazy2:

Went to Uni in Newcastle in 98 without any sort of interest in football, and by the time I left the area in 2002, somehow, without noticing it, I'd become hooked on NUFC. I live in London now but there are 100s of us (both Geordies and non-Geordies) down here and there's always a big crowd watching games, or taking part in Supporters Club events.

None of my family have links with Newcastle - my mum's side are all from Manchester and support Man U whereas my dad's from Airdrie. When I was about 5 or 6, Newcastle were one of the best teams going and used to be king on the old football management games I played with my dad, which gave me an initial interest in the club. My dad reckons I started seriously following after watching the 3-2 game against Barca and just being bowled over by it all - Tino's hatrick and his class celebration, Gillespie bombing down the wing and the like. Got my first football shirt, the 97-98 home one with the itchy collar, that Christmas and have just gone on from there really! It's likely to be frowned upon by a lot on here but meh  :crazy2:

your dads from Airdrie?

your dads from Airdrie?

Yeah.

i'm from Airdrie. what part? such a small town :)

Couldn't honestly say. I don't know Airdrie too well as I've only been there to visit grandparents and relatives but it's in a sort of cul-de-sac type area.

Can't really get into MLS too much.  No point following another league if I didn't have a team to root for. Refused to follow ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea. Didn't really care to support a London-based team. Did a little research into the club's history and the city's history -- seemed a good fit. Eventually realized the lunacy I signed up for -- confirmed good fit.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

Growing up in Colchester I hardly even knew football existed until I was 14 (except for the 1990 world cup, Waddle) was always too busy riding bikes, building ramps, climbing trees and falling off said intrests. Until one day when my now best mate moved to my school. He got me into the beautiful game as he used to play for the Chelsea youth team,. (upfront with Jody Morris)

He supported Liverpool and lent me some videos so that I could get my fix for something I fell instantly in love with, there was some season reviews, best goals, a Dalglish one, Ian Rush and last but not least a Peter Beardsley one. His one was so good I was mesmorised. Watched it about 10 times before he stole it back off me. He was desperately trying to "recruit me" as our other best mate was a avid Man Ure fan, and there were Arsenal and Spurs fans in with our crowd also.

It was the summer of '93 and I vividly remember coming in from a kick about (of which I was obviously shite and getting ribbed off the lads who had all been playing since they could walk  :angry:) they were all still badgering away at me. Support this team, support my one. Until my mate got the teletext up and bang there it was! BEARDSLEY RE-SIGNS FOR NEWCASTLE. That was me there and then.

Been going to as many games as I can afford, home, away, a couple abroad. (all those years ago) It only works out to be 8-12 a season but its quite funny, because I'm the only one out of all of us that has actually gone to any. None of them have ever been to their "home grounds" let alone away. Soopa fan alert!!! I've even been able to drag both of them up Toon a couple times :lol:

Anyway, I've been hooked since day one and will as they say "bleed black and white until the day that I die" The Man Ure fan is still to this day trying to get me to jump ship. Always reminding me of how much happier I would of been if I'd of listened to him and went his way all them years ago. Think he is just tired of all my pure hatred towards them down the years. But it will never change!