Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Last year I wanted to follow football. I loved the sport but never had the chance to watch the EPL because of the timezones (I'm from Australia). I made the commitment. I based by decision to support NUFC because it was the club which was the closest to the origin of my family, in Langholm, Scotland. Quite a strange reason imo. Despite all the tribulations of last season, I'm confident I made the right choice. I've fallen in love with the club despite the mishaps.

I never had a choice... I lived in newcastle as a child and when I visited it was "Here's your kit son." And off to SJP we went. I should probably hold huge resentment to them... they are Jocks FFS and my family only emigrated to Newcastle in the 50s. I could have supported the Huns (thank god I don't - sectarian tossers that they are) where most of my family are from or St. Mirren, where my uncle played for years and was even capped by Scotland, but no. I support Newcastle... and then during the international breaks to make sure I completely understand the concepts of "public humiliation" and "dramatic failure" I support Scotland.

Severe undiagnosed brain damage?

Mainly the same reason a few others have said. I hate rooting for the "easy" teams - the big 4 PL teams that practically every soccer fan in the US supports.

When I started really following the Premier League, Newcastle was an underdog team that not too long ago was challenging for the title and was struggling to find themselves again. I liked something about that and I liked the devotion of the fan base. So I figured "What the hell, seems like a good group. Better than being one of those annoying ManU or Liverpool fans." Plus, I like the beer.

Mind you, there may be something to that brain damage theory.

Guest dover

KEEGAN

First game I saw was Tino Asprilla destroying Barcelona, never seen anything like it before. The atmosphere, the attacking football and the sheer brilliance of a team inspired by Keegan dismantaling the mighty Barcelona. Hooked from that day forward.....

KEEGAN

First game I saw was Tino Asprilla destroying Barcelona, never seen anything like it before. The atmosphere, the attacking football and the sheer brilliance of a team inspired by Keegan dismantaling the mighty Barcelona. Hooked from that day forward.....

It was Kenny Dog leash who was in charge for that game but It was all of Kevs players.  JUst about anyway.

KEEGAN

mmm, Keegan fanboys...so knowledgeable... O0

Guest toonlass

My father supported Newcastle and he pretty much forced me into it. No choice involved really. I don't regret it though. Have to say I always kind of disliked Shearer though, no idea why. Loved many of the others though.

:dowie:

My father supported Newcastle and he pretty much forced me into it. No choice involved really. I don't regret it though. Have to say I always kind of disliked Shearer though, no idea why. Loved many of the others though.

mackem

Guest eltsacwen

Peter Beardsley! My favorite player when I was like 8. I also used to hate Shearer because my brother supported Blackburn.

Born here, live here, will always live here and had a love of NUFC drilled into me from birth, my dads love of football not just this club was bound to have an effect.

wat?

Born here, live here, will always live here and had a love of NUFC drilled into me from birth, my dads love of football not just this club was bound to have an effect.

wat?

Yes a know am not a non Geordie but not every Gerodie loves and follows NUFC or even football.

My little Nephew is 8 and Man Ure mad, in house where his man, dad and 2 older brothers and Toon crazy.

wat?

Yes a know am not a non Geordie but not every Gerodie loves and follows NUFC or even football.

My little Nephew is 8 and Man Ure mad, in house where his man, dad and 2 older brothers and Toon crazy.

He'll convert by 12

wat?

He'll convert by 12

He  will if I have my way, I take my eldest Nephew to the match with me, he is just Toon mad 16 now and he just cannot get his head around his little brother loving Mna U.

He is having a trial for that Wayne Rooney Street Striker thing today, fingers croassed.

Why do I support Newcastle? Because I'm a fucking masochist :(

Actually, it's a tenuous link - I jumped on board the Toon when they were streaking the (then) First Division thanks to Keegan. At the time I only knew Keegan as a Liverpool legend and as my only other football exposure was thanks to Craig Johnston's exploits with them, that thin reed was enough.

But my "choice" was vindicated again and again - most Toon fans are negative bastards (like myself), continually disappointed (like myself) and fucking masochists (yep, tick another box).

And frankly, any true blue Goerdie who thinks that isn't a good enough reason - fifteen odd years of loving the Toon through thick and thin (and let's admit it - more thin that thick!) might not make me a sooperfan, but a real fan nonetheless...

Guest lubas

I've got no family/geographic tie to newcastle or the UK whatsover.  I'm based in Brisbane, Australia and just picked newcastle out of random cause they were top of the table in 1995! Old man went to London and bought me back a newcastle top and I've been a fan ever since.  Never miss a game on the tv (we get all the prem games live here) and travelled over in 2006 to see a game whilst visiting the UK.  I'm still as fanatical as they come despite the fact I've got no connection with the city.

Although, how I wish my old man had brought me back a different top all those years ago!! :)

Guest ItalianMagpie

Because their f***ing idiots. i know i am..

:clap:

Well I don't know exactly what happened to me when I chose to support NUFC. I just know that I got completely tired of italian football and its disgusting features (awful stadiums, violence, corruptions of any kind with the superb climax of the 2006 scandal :rolleyes: ) and that I decided to stop following it to focus mainly on English football, my greatest sport passion since a I was a child.

I had always liked NUFC (for many reasons: Shearer, Robson, the 2001-02 campaign, SJP, the kit, the fans...), and even before my passion for italian football completely ended I found myself much more concerned about the results of the Magpies than those of my italian side. So, when I definitely abandoned italian football it was pretty easy to choose the club to support  :coolsmiley:

Guest Craig_NUFC

I began to support Newcastle because Alan Shearer was my hero at the time. However i discovered purely accidently through my auntie that one of the lads who lived on my estate around the corner who i occasionally had a kick around with was signed by Keegan in 1996 for £25,000 and he then used to give me some of his old NUFC gear and got me some autographs.

His name is David Eatock and as far as i'm aware he never made a first team appearance but did play in the reserves. Im pretty sure he still plays semi-professionally at Rossendale United but he has also played for a number of other teams since he left, including a local team called Chorley FC where he is a bit of a cult hero as he was there for a while and one of their better players.

I do know however that he is currently working at Chorley Leisure Center as a fitness instructor. And since then i've been hooked attending as many games as i can both home and away - although most are mainly away fixtures around the North-West