Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good thread this. Brings back a lot memories for me.

Like half the people here, I followed Shearer.

In Australia, we had a basketball craze between 1993-1994 and I was really into basketball (I was 12/13).  I wore glasses and even had the rubber band between the frames so they don't fall off when you play (a poor man's Horace Grant).  But after USA 94 I fell in love with football and have never looked back.  Being born in Spain of Korean descent, I grew around football so it was natural I went back to it.  But in Australia, it was either Serie A or Premier League.  In the newagencies they sold  Match and Shoot! magazines and my brother and I literally fed off those and we fell in love with English football. 

The various posters of players with totally subjective statistics (e.g Shearer: shooting power 9/10, shooting accuracy 9/10, speed 8/10, strength 9/10 etc) gave us some idea of who was who and who was decent. Anyway, Shearer seemed like the most likeable, decent guy compared with Robbie Fowler and Matt Le Tissier etc so he became my favourite player.  I followed Blackburn for a while but Shearer and other players always spoke about how great Newcastle was and I thought to myself, "If I ever become a pro, I'll join Newcastle, even over Blackburn."  When Shearer joined Newcastle, there was only one outcome.  Never looked back and never regretted it.

btw I remember David Eatock from CM2.  He was crap and I always sold him to a League 2 team for 50K.

Born here, live here, will always live here and had a love of NUFC drilled into me from birth, my dads love of football not just this club was bound to have an effect.

wat?

Yes a know am not a non Geordie but not every Gerodie loves and follows NUFC or even football.

My little Nephew is 8 and Man Ure mad, in house where his man, dad and 2 older brothers and Toon crazy.

He'll convert by 12

He  will if I have my way, I take my eldest Nephew to the match with me, he is just Toon mad 16 now and he just cannot get his head around his little brother loving Mna U.

He is having a trial for that Wayne Rooney Street Striker thing today, fingers croassed.

He is through tot he next round, did the 1st bit today at the JJB socer dome in North Shields, gone by minibus now to Fat Freds Shepherd Offshore, in a big wharehouse to do the ball into the ski[ and things like that, done an interview on camera and will find out next week if he has made it through to the show.

My two brothers support Manure and my dad supports Newcastle so was always going to be one or the other.Fun in our house when Shearer signed!Brothers still talk about it..bet he was glad he signed for ye now,look at all the medals he won,blah blah!Also f***ing loved David Kelly and Micky Quinn

Interesting how many people's reason for supporting Newcastle in this thread is either directly or indirectly linked to Kevin Keegan (I'd say Shearer or Beardsley being the reason without a doubt means that Keegan's ultimately responsible).

It's all well and good me saying I had no choice due to my father but; surrounded by glory hunters in my school would I really have had my imagination captured by the toon if we weren't on the up? (First season I can remember is the promotion year) It's impossible to say for sure, but there's clearly a chance I would have wandered astray.

When Marc Hottiger joined the entertainers in 94 NUFC became more popular in Switzerland. I just had to fell in love with that team and that has never changed since then...

Who'dve known! Marc Hottiger actually did some good for NUFC!

A look at post war geography and history will teach you that many people have migrated from the North to all points South as well as far flung shores with the demise of traditional industries and their communities. I am one of these people.

As a result we end up with second and third generation offspring of this exodus becoming keen fans, as more often than not you are hooked when first taken to a game by older relatives.

I must say I am very sorry to my sons for giving them this cross to bear.

I was born in newcastle and lived there as a baby for about half a year....so thats my reason...unless you consider me a geordie cause i was born there...

...but can i be a geordie without the accent and not having lived there for more than 6 months? Indeed....a complex puzzle i face every day...

When Marc Hottiger joined the entertainers in 94 NUFC became more popular in Switzerland. I just had to fell in love with that team and that has never changed since then...

Who'dve known! Marc Hottiger actually did some good for NUFC!

Hot-dog was a legend.

Because they're all daft as brushes.

The idea of liking football and then picking a team is totally bizarre to me - for me they came hand in hand and I couldn't have had one without the other. It's been good reading some of your stories as to how you chose Newcastle.  :aww:

My father supported Newcastle and he pretty much forced me into it. No choice involved really. I don't regret it though. Have to say I always kind of disliked Shearer though, no idea why. Loved many of the others though.

:dowie:

What?! I can't be the only one who didn't idolise him growing up. :lol: Maybe dislike was the wrong word. I respected that he was a great player and was grateful that he did what he did for this club, but he was never one of my favorite players. I think it was his personality and the way he played. Not my style.

Everyone in this thread is an idiot who is doomed to an awful life due to a series of woeful decisions.

You guys had the chance, you could've made it out. No-one would've looked down upon you, you're not even from the area.. You could've won title after title with Man Utd, watched an unbeaten season with Arsenal,<b> you could've experienced the glory of THAT champions league final vs AC Milan</b> or you could've watched The Great One run the Russian Revolution.

But no. You got Nicky Butt. And its your own stupid fault.

:lol: That's the game that made me a fan of the sport. I stepped away from Liverpool when I realized how big that win was.

What a terrible time to start supporting this club for goodness sake. Our table positions since then are 7,13,12,18, championship.

My father supported Newcastle and he pretty much forced me into it. No choice involved really. I don't regret it though. Have to say I always kind of disliked Shearer though, no idea why. Loved many of the others though.

:dowie:

What?! I can't be the only one who didn't idolise him growing up. :lol: Maybe dislike was the wrong word. I respected that he was a great player and was grateful that he did what he did for this club, but he was never one of my favorite players. I think it was his personality and the way he played. Not my style.

Everyone in this thread is an idiot who is doomed to an awful life due to a series of woeful decisions.

You guys had the chance, you could've made it out. No-one would've looked down upon you, you're not even from the area.. You could've won title after title with Man Utd, watched an unbeaten season with Arsenal,<b> you could've experienced the glory of THAT champions league final vs AC Milan</b> or you could've watched The Great One run the Russian Revolution.

But no. You got Nicky Butt. And its your own stupid fault.

:lol: That's the game that made me a fan of the sport. I stepped away from Liverpool when I realized how big that win was.

What a terrible time to start supporting this club for goodness sake. Our table positions since then are 7,13,12,18, championship.

I accept that the downturn and relegation happened only because I became a fan.

Shearer!!! I always loved football (playing, watching it) from when I was a kid and I played as a forward at school from when I was young so Shearer became my favourite player. At first I was a Shearer fan but then I quickly became a Newcastle fan, and well I guess now I'm hooked, will never support another club!

As an American I grew up playing the game in the 70's and 80's.  In the deep south it wasn't considered a "normal" sport to be playing when compared to football(the American game), baseball, and basketball.  This was especially true when I started out, so it sort of set me up as a person who likes to do things off the beaten path a bit.  Started following the American national team in the 90's and that eventually that exposed me to European and specifically English league play.  I was blown away at how much better the game was overseas.  ESPN was carrying more Champions League games and Fox started showing some English league games around 2000.

I finally decided to pick a team to follow and pretty much used the same methods as others.  I really didn't want to follow one of the big three teams as I saw it at that time.  Arsenal, Liverpool, and ManU.  I liked the beer, the stripes were amazing, and I had heard of Shearer so Newcastle it was.  I watch or listen to every game I can since then.  I have infected about 6 other people as well, though some naturally gravitated to the glory teams.  In retrospect it seems I jumped on at the highpoint of the ride.  I figure it would be craven to bail off at this point.

So I may be a plastic fan.  I may be a fool by some people's estimation.  I may be driving myself to an early grave raging at the television this summer.  I don't care.  What I am is loyal.  I am here for life.  One day we will win something and that day will make it all worth while.

J

• 10 months later...
Guest palnese

I have just been reading through the entire thread. Some very good stories in here.  O0

I do wonder if there is any newcomers with a story to tell?

Guest je85

None of my family like football so I wasn't brought up to support a team at all. First shirt I got bought (Which I assume was going cheap in a sports shop) was a Newcastle keepers top, that led to an interest in the club I guess things just escalated from there.