Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The black and white stripes are very slimming, and I'm a tubby bastard.

Really, one of the cable sports channels started showing Premier League games while I was at law school, and I was mesmerized by Beardsley.  Liked "soccer," thought it would be fun to follow a team, and have stuck with Newcastle ever since.  Thank goodness I didn't tune in when he was playing with Everton or Liverpool - think how boring my football life would have been!

My cousin was playing for the Toon when I was just getting into the age to follow football. Geographically a shocking decision, for everything else no complaints whatsoever. Even now.

Who was your cousin, if you don't mind saying?

I can't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure high up there was being a contrarian bastard who didn't want to look like a bandwagoner manu, arsenal or liverpool supporter.

That's worked a treat, btw.

I got this wake-up alarm clock with the club chest on it when I was 7 years old, was already a football maniac and loved Shearer (this was before his signing), my grandparents bought it when they went through Newcastle on their way to Glasgow. A couple of months later I was wearing my first Newcastle top in school and told my friends that Ginola was the best player in the world when I had actually never seen him play.

I can't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure high up there was being a contrarian bastard who didn't want to look like a bandwagoner manu, arsenal or liverpool supporter.

That's worked a treat, btw.

Yeah. That's pretty much how it worked out.

I decided to support the worst team I saw, so that I could really be invested in their triumphs and struggles.

*ahem*

When I was 5, I saw Shearer playing in Euro 96 and asked my dad who he played for as he was my favourite England player. Now I could never imagine supporting anyone else, no matter how bad things get.

The answer at that time was Blackburn. :razz:

When I was 5, I saw Shearer playing in Euro 96 and asked my dad who he played for as he was my favourite England player. Now I could never imagine supporting anyone else, no matter how bad things get.

Might have been after then. Give us a break man I was 5! :lol:

My cousin was playing for the Toon when I was just getting into the age to follow football. Geographically a shocking decision, for everything else no complaints whatsoever. Even now.

Who was your cousin, if you don't mind saying?

Going by his avatar, I would guess Kevin Brock.

got an Aunt and cousins from Newcastle. got interested in team after my cousins constantly going on about Newcastle. got tickets to a game for my 14th Birthday and travelled up from Scotland and had an amazing experience and wanted more.

(im now 28 btw. My Local club (Airdrieonians) went into administration and went bust. Came back shortly after as Airdrie United and they are now my second team

Cardross

Up from Scotland?

haha sorry down. working at 4am makes me tired lol.

what part of Scotland you from Scottish Mag?

Near Loch Lomond

Doesn't that mean it could be anywhere within the region of the highlands to Northern Glasgow, I.E. Milgavnie, Bishoppbriggs arn't all that far away, 30-45 mins away max. Which is like Blyth, Morpeth and AShington distances from Newcastle.

Might have been after then. Give us a break man I was 5! :lol:

I'll let you off but if Tooj sees this sort of lax football knowledge there'll be bother.

Don't have a local team as such, starting supporting Newcastle at a young age because it was the club I most admired. Entertaining football, great players and an atmosphere about the club at the time that connected with me. Having been to Newcastle since and supporting since an early age I feel part of it now. Would of been a lot easier to support Rangers or Celtic like most do where I'm from but I was always aware of the bigotry that came with it due to my old man constantly telling me this. Fair play to him though.

Listening to the radio, Jim Smith was in charge, the radio commentator called them the Magpies and as I supported a team also called the magpies "Collingwood" I was hooked. Same sought of history as far as winning any silverware goes.

Because of Keegan really. All my mates had a team, I didn't, Swansea were dogshit at time, so I picked Newcastle the season they came up. My mum was a Liverpool fan so bought me loads of videos for Chrimbo, I had some of Keegan and really enjoyed watching him play. Newcastle were playing excellent football and I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon of Man Utd/Arsenal & Liverpool fans.

I've been asked if I am going to support Swansea this season over Newcastle but I'm not. It would be very scummy of me if I did. Even in the shit state we are in now, I still care for the club, I take interest in the Swansea news that comes out but I feel invested in Newcastle if you know what I mean, the support I have for the club can't be just turned off, so thats what makes me know I am a kinda proper fan rather than a plastic fan....

The father followed Keegan for some reason, which developed into support for the club, and I naturally followed suit.

I can honestly remember some of my mates calling me a glory supporter for supporting Newcastle because I weren't from there :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Surrounded by big Geordies/Shearer/Keegan entertainers/black and white/Warrington doesn't have football team.

The father followed Keegan for some reason, which developed into support for the club, and I naturally followed suit.

I can honestly remember some of my mates calling me a glory supporter for supporting Newcastle because I weren't from there :lol:

and who did you want to follow? :)

and who did you want to follow? :)

Can't remember, dunno what you're talking about  :shifty:

Whilst entertaining a few international partners at the recent conference, the conversation moved to NUFC once they found out I was from Newcastle. Preparing myself for a torrent of overseas abuse, I was surprised to hear both the South African and American claimed Newcastle were their second team (neither had another English club as their first). Asking them why, their responses were to do with the ease of catching English games but also the international fan base Newcastle have. Furthermore, they said they would continue to pay attention to the results despite the relegation.

Now they weren't active supporters but they did go out of their way to find out the results. Surprisngly they seemed to have a lot more sense then those that I half hear whilst out in town. Their summary of the current situation, without the inclusion of paper talk, was interesting listening and I found myself agreeing to a lot of what they said.