Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Guest toonlass

It's not like Harper has never fucked up though is it? Do we keep the young keeper on the bench so that an experienced keeper who is arguably no better than him in the long run can play? Or do we let the young keeper gain some experience and learn how to cut out those mistakes in his game? Whose to say we would have conceded any less goals today if Harper had been between the sticks?

Worrying that Harper is making so many terrible mistakes. We really cannot afford to go into the premier league and concede easy goals. We're going to have to win an awful lot of games 1-0 to stay in the the big league.

When exactly did Harper turn into Mr Reliable?

Guest toonlass

All boils down to opinion. In mine; we wouldn't have conceded 3 goals with Harper there.

And I don't think we would have had a clean sheet against Arsenal with Harper in between the sticks. Swings and roundabouts, it's all opinion. It would be harsh to drop Krul.

Nobody said he was. He's just more reliable than Krul.

As I said a few pages back, we have 2 keepers the wrong side of average.

Think Krul will develop into a better keeper than Harper. The thing is he isn't there yet, but if you drop him now it will hurt his confidence.

Krul is only going to get better, players will make mistakes early in careers, his have been much less than average so far.

Who knows how good he is going to become with experience. He may become the worlds no.1 for all we know.

Sadly we cannot say that about Steve Harper at this stage of his career.

All boils down to opinion. In mine; we wouldn't have conceded 3 goals with Harper there.

Probably true. But I think all in all come the end of the season it wouldn't have made a big difference if Harper or Krul played for the majority of the season.

Next season though, I fully expect Krul to be the better goalkeeper because the experience he's earning right now.

How many deflected goals we have conceded this season which no keeper in the world would have saved? And how many of those magnificent reflex saves you've seen young Tim make which have saved us many times already? There's no blaming Krul IMO!

Defo he's better than Harper already

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I just wish he was learning from his mistakes on loan somewhere.

We can't afford this season to moonlight as a learning curve, especially not for a keeper.

I agree with this.

If Krul's mistakes become more frequent, he needs to be dropped, because they are now beginning to cost us points.

Krul is only going to get better, players will make mistakes early in careers, his have been much less than average so far.

Who knows how good he is going to become with experience. He may become the worlds no.1 for all we know.

Not really that fussed about the experience Krul gets.  It's about points for us and survival this season.

Still not quite sure how this experience line is being used for Krul's mistake.  If Krul doesn't already know that he should have smashed the ball out of the box by now, he's never going to learn.

When you're young, you're not always going to make the immediate obvious decision. You'll make ricks like that. Yes, he's already been taught that, and undoubtedly he's cleared his lines in situations like that before. But sometimes there's just moments like yesterday his concentration will slip and he'll make the wrong decision. The more he plays, the more he'll cut things like that out as he gets older, wiser, calmer and more focused.

Not really that fussed about the experience Krul gets.  It's about points for us and survival this season.

Still not quite sure how this experience line is being used for Krul's mistake.  If Krul doesn't already know that he should have smashed the ball out of the box by now, he's never going to learn.

It was bad judgment it happens all the time in football.  Have you never seen an experienced keeper play a ball to a centreback or fullback that sometimes puts them in trouble?  I've seen Valdes at Barcelona do it a fair few times and it's going to happen if the manager's instructions are to play it short more and more.

Or have you never seen an experienced centre back give a rubbish back pass to a keeper?  Krul already knows he shouldn't give the ball to a player under pressure in that position but he made a mistake.

The same way Coloccini made mistakes against Blackburn and Bolton, Campbell against Liverpool, Williamson and Perch against  Wigan, Carroll against Stoke.  There have been plenty of mistakes made by players throughout and the season that haven't resulted in players being dropped.  Thankfully our managers seem to be able to look at the bigger picture.

We can't afford this season to moonlight as a learning curve, especially not for a keeper.

I agree with this.

If Krul's mistakes become more frequent, he needs to be dropped, because they are now beginning to cost us points.

What points have they cost us?  Because the second goal against Man City wasn't his fault nor was Nolan's miss or Carroll's miss or the third goal.

It's typical of the collective bi-polar disorder of this forum that anytime and player does well he's the best around and as soon as he makes a mistake he's totally rubbish.  There's never any middle ground.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I agree with this.

What points have they cost us?  Because the second goal against Man City wasn't his fault nor was Nolan's miss or Carroll's miss or the third goal.

It's typical of the collective bi-polar disorder of this forum that anytime and player does well he's the best around and as soon as he makes a mistake he's totally rubbish.  There's never any middle ground.

If we hadn't conceded just after a minute, do you think the game would have panned out exactly the same way?

I agree with this.

Nobody is saying he's 'totally rubbish'. You can't deny the mistake had an impact on the game though.

I agree with this.

Nobody is saying he's 'totally rubbish'. You can't deny the mistake had an impact on the game though.

Did it cost us points?

I agree with this.

If we hadn't conceded just after a minute, do you think the game would have panned out exactly the same way?

I know that if Nolan had scored then we probably would've drew.  It Carroll hadn't let his man go against Stoke we probably would have more points.  If Coloccini and Williamson hadn't cocked up against Blackburn we probably would have more points.  Same with Tiote against Blackburn.

What would've happened if Harper played against Arsenal and Nasri's shot went in?

I think Krul is a good keeper for his age.  But, I don't actually think he has been anything other than ok since he came into the team, with a tendency to be a bit rash and careless at time.  As well as having below average kicking.  At the moment, I think Harper is a more consistent keeper and should come back in the team.

So I've been looking at the bigger picture perfectly well thanks.