Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

I just wish he was learning from his mistakes on loan somewhere.

We can't afford this season to moonlight as a learning curve, especially not for a keeper.

I agree with this.

If Krul's mistakes become more frequent, he needs to be dropped, because they are now beginning to cost us points.

What points have they cost us?  Because the second goal against Man City wasn't his fault nor was Nolan's miss or Carroll's miss or the third goal.

It's typical of the collective bi-polar disorder of this forum that anytime and player does well he's the best around and as soon as he makes a mistake he's totally rubbish.  There's never any middle ground.

Nobody is saying he's 'totally rubbish'. You can't deny the mistake had an impact on the game though.

Did it cost us points?

Yes

I think Krul is a good keeper for his age.  But, I don't actually think he has been anything other than ok since he came into the team, with a tendency to be a bit rash and careless at time.  As well as having below average kicking.  At the moment, I think Harper is a more consistent keeper and should come back in the team.

So I've been looking at the bigger picture perfectly well thanks.

You think Harper's kicking is good?  I'm pretty sure he got slagged off for it time and time again in the past.

I think Hart put about three balls directly out of play yesterday better get Given back in the team.  Then Hart again once Given makes a mistake.

We can't afford this season to moonlight as a learning curve, especially not for a keeper.

I agree with this.

If Krul's mistakes become more frequent, he needs to be dropped, because they are now beginning to cost us points.

What points have they cost us? Because the second goal against Man City wasn't his fault nor was Nolan's miss or Carroll's miss or the third goal.

It's typical of the collective bi-polar disorder of this forum that anytime and player does well he's the best around and as soon as he makes a mistake he's totally rubbish. There's never any middle ground.

Nobody is saying he's 'totally rubbish'. You can't deny the mistake had an impact on the game though.

Did it cost us points?

It's hard to tell, 1-0 down after 5 minutes isn't as big of a mountain to climb.

And it's not as easy as saying "Well it'd still have been 1-2 if he hadn't have made the mistake" - unfortunately that's not how football works.

I agree with this.

What points have they cost us?  Because the second goal against Man City wasn't his fault nor was Nolan's miss or Carroll's miss or the third goal.

It's typical of the collective bi-polar disorder of this forum that anytime and player does well he's the best around and as soon as he makes a mistake he's totally rubbish.  There's never any middle ground.

Did it cost us points?

It's hard to tell, 1-0 down after 5 minutes isn't as big of a mountain to climb.

And it's not as easy as saying "Well it'd still have been 1-2 if he hadn't have made the mistake" - unfortunately that's not how football works.

I agree, which is why I wouldn't go as far as saying his mistake cost us points.

Harper seems to be getting better every game he's out, I remember him being horribly bad for 30 mins against Villa where his kicking was atrocious and almost cost us a goal needlessly conceding a penalty. Don't see much difference between the pair but Krul is the one who will learn and improve.

I don't see how we can say it cost us points though. Pointless side of the argument. If he hadn't have conceded that, we could've held out for a bit longer. But Man City could've put more urgency into their play, and potentially opened us up and we could've lost 1-0.

On the other hand, if he did still give that goal away, and Tiote didn't then gift a second, our players could've still fought for a goal, got the equaliser, and gone on to win.

Just all seems like a pointless part of the argument.

Harper seems to be getting better every game he's out, I remember him being horribly bad for 30 mins against Villa where his kicking was atrocious and almost cost us a goal needlessly conceding a penalty. Don't see much difference between the pair but Krul is the one who will learn and improve.

Is he fuck, he's getting worse every game he's out. You'd think it was either Krul, or a bloke with no arms and legs.

I don't see how we can say it cost us points though. Pointless side of the argument. If he hadn't have conceded that, we could've held out for a bit longer. But Man City could've put more urgency into their play, and potentially opened us up and we could've lost 1-0.

On the other hand, if he did still give that goal away, and Tiote didn't then gift a second, our players could've still fought for a goal, got the equaliser, and gone on to win.

Just all seems like a pointless part of the argument.

How can it be a pointless argument?  Krul made a huge rick that led to us going 1-0 down within 2 minutes.  That has quite a direct effect on the result.

Judging by the last page I wouldn't say that was true.  Harper's kicking is better, Krul is now costing us points and Harper wouldn't have conceded three yesterday.

Aye, but I don't think Ronaldo represents the general opinion of this forum :laugh:

Judging by the last page I wouldn't say that was true.  Harper's kicking is better, Krul is now costing us points and Harper wouldn't have conceded three yesterday.

Well we'd have certainly conceded two. The second and third goals weren't down to the keeper.

But ultimately it's about the next game. Krul has been a bit over-ambitious at times, and yesterday he paid the price. It's a simple lesson to learn, and I think he'll learn it. When in doubt, hoof it into the stands, no matter how bad it looks.

Dropping him would be a stupid knee jerk reaction. He's young for fucks sake. What young keeper hasn't made a mistake, hopefully he'll learn from it.

What type of message would that be to our young players? It would mean nobody would try something for fear of cocking it up and then being dropped. Therefore our young players wouldn't develop.

Of course they would then be sold on to a "lesser" team, play with a bit more freedom, look 10 times the player they were here and be sold for an inflated fee. At which point the ones calling for the likes of Krul to be dropped with no doubt rant on about how we sold them for a pittance and why can't we develop young players like other teams blah blah blah.

I think Krul is a good keeper for his age.  But, I don't actually think he has been anything other than ok since he came into the team, with a tendency to be a bit rash and careless at time.  As well as having below average kicking.  At the moment, I think Harper is a more consistent keeper and should come back in the team.

You think Harper's kicking is good?  I'm pretty sure he got slagged off for it time and time again in the past.

I think Hart put about three balls directly out of play yesterday better get Given back in the team.  Then Hart again once Given makes a mistake.

Don't think Hart's kicking led to a goal did it?

I've already said my view that Krul should be dropped is based on more than the hideous error yesterday.  So no - you shouldn't drop a player after one mistake.  Be interested to see where anyone has said that.

Well point out what other mistakes he's made then?  And continue to gloss over the mistakes Harper made in the past.

I pointed out Hart's kicking because you used it as an argument against Krul's selection.  I didn't say it led to a goal but then neither have any of Krul's other kicks have they?  And you were apparently looking beyond Krul's error yesterday.

Don't think Hart's kicking led to a goal did it?

I've already said my view that Krul should be dropped is based on more than the hideous error yesterday.  So no - you shouldn't drop a player after one mistake.  Be interested to see where anyone has said that.

Hart was flapping all afternoon, but lets not criticise him though.

All boils down to opinion. In mine; we wouldn't have conceded 3 goals with Harper there.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,73223.msg2680883.html#msg2680883

Nobody said he was. He's just more reliable than Krul.

As I said a few pages back, we have 2 keepers the wrong side of average.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,73223.msg2680883.html#msg2680883

Guest toonlass

It's a shame that people are willing to blame Krul for us losing yesterday. There were 89 more minutes after his mistake yesterday. More than enough for us to get back on track. Yesterdays game was always going to be hard to get points out of, ok Krul screwed up but chances were missed at the other end. It's a moot point to argue that with Harper in goal we wouldn't have conceded 3 goals, who knows? We could have conceded 4!