Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

He hasn't set the world alight but he hasn't really let us down either. Wouldn't be able to decide between harper or him, Krul might just make it for bring through youth and not dissapointing him too much by relegation to the bench again.

• 3 weeks later...

RAYMOND van Barneveld has tipped Tim Krul to achieve his dream of being Dutch No 1. keeper

The five-times world darts champion rocked Tyneside this week with 7,000 darts fans creating the loudest noise the Metro Radio Arena has heard for a long time.

And after visiting Newcastle, Barney reckons his close pal and fellow Hague native Krul can join him at the very top of the sporting world by eventually emulating the 22-year-old’s other big sporting hero Edwin van der Sar.

Barney told the Chronicle in an exclusive interview: “Why not?He can be Dutch No 1 – if you believe in yourself and do everything you can, you can do it.

“You have to believe in your own abilities and you can get there – that’s what my grandmother always told me.”

And just to prove that it is indeed a small world, Van Barneveld revealed his connection with the Krul family.

“Tim is from the same area in Holland as me,” he said.

“His father was a postman in the post office where I used to live.

“So I know them well.

“Tim can go really far.”

The 43-year-old global star has also vowed to return to Newcastle and hopes one day to see Krul pull on the gloves in the Premier League.

He says: “I went to watch Newcastle last year when they played Manchester United and I was with Tim that night.

“I’ll be happy when they are playing back in the Premier League where they belong.

“I’d love to watch him play next year in the top league.

“The Geordies love their soccer and so do I – my team is ADO Den Haag.”

Barney also feels that the Geordie crowd were the best on the Premier League Darts circuit after seeing off Mervyn King in a pulsating see-saw battle in an 8-4 win on Thursday night.

However, the night ended in controversy as King stormed out of the Arena following his defeat after he fell victim to the boo boys.

Darts MC John McDonald tried in vain to tame the rowdy Toon crowd and Barney said: “I felt sorry for Merv – he’s a good pal of mine, but I know what he has been through.

“I had the same in the 1990s when I was playing back in Holland and for some reason they all started to support Tony O’Shea.

“I thought ‘how can they support this man on stage with the funny glasses, and funny hair, walking on to a Madness song?’

“But that’s darts – the Dutch fans would back Ted Hankey too, and you don’t think it’s possible in your home country.”

King wound the fans up on Thursday by cupping hand to his ear to suggest he couldn’t hear their taunts. But Van Barneveld added: “The worst thing to do is stoke things up – it was getting worse.”

But Barney admits he is already looking forward to playing on Tyneside again in the future. He said: “There was an awful lot of noise.

“We’ve been to the 02 Arena in London and to Liverpool and there were bigger crowds but they didn’t make a lot of noise – in Newcastle it was incredible.

“I’ve been here four years on the trot now and the Geordie crowd are just brilliant.”

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He needs to learn when and when not to come for corners/crosses, when he gets them it takes a lot of pressure off the defence, but he's got them wrong a lot lately

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

His save from that one of that one from Torres is one of the main reasons we've won today.

Yes, that was a good save helped by the fact Torres was is so gash infront of goal. But he still has areas that need to be developed, communication and aerial ability are some of them

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

cOMMUNICATION NEEDS TO BE A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN TODAY.

COUNTED FOUR TIMES WHEN HE WAS IN A MIX UP WITH THE DEFENDERS!!!

Totally agree. First thing Krul could improve on would be the command of the Caps Lock.

cOMMUNICATION NEEDS TO BE A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN TODAY.

COUNTED FOUR TIMES WHEN HE WAS IN A MIX UP WITH THE DEFENDERS!!!

Totally agree. First thing Krul could improve on would be the command of the Caps Lock.

That was also because he had two donkeys in front of him that aren't used to playing with Krul at the back.  Another reason we need Colo and Williamson back.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I just think he needs to learn the right times to come for the ball from corners/crosses and learn when not to. He can do it very well, but has missed a lot lately and left us in dangerous positions.

All things which can be learnt through experience,

Agree with the majority here. Fantastic when he reaches the ball, but the times he doesn't puts us under a lot of pressure. Still a bit excitable but as long as he's given the chance I can see it being sorted in good time.

Guest firetotheworks

That save at Arsenal was the moment that convinced me he should remain number 1. It's been a month and when I watch it now, I'm still in awe of it.

Krul has been good, but the lack of experience troubles him sometimes like it did yesterday a few times, but that´s the only way he´ll learn. Overall he´s been solid and quite consistent. Have not made any big errors apart from one situation against Arsenal in the cup. I think he deserves to stay in the team and develop further, but most importantly he deserves the place because he´s our best goalkeeper.