Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

I hope SJP is rocking on the last game and Sir Bobby's name is bellowed out by the whole ground!!!

This :thup:

Then  stopped after 5 minutes followed by a rendition of Hughton leading KEANO HE WA**S HIS DOG :laugh:

£3,100 now  :clap2:

It's a great cause and I'm really pleased so much money is going to it... but over £3,000 for Shola's shirt... Some people have crazy amounts of money!

Guest toonlass

Shola's shirt sold for £4,800, so shirt sales in total by the club have raised £35,987 this sason. Well done there!

Guest antz1uk

Great Article...

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100423/sir-bobbys-been-our-guardian-angel_2240137_2033029

or full article below...

Sir Bobby's Been Our Guardian Angel

By Craig Hope

WITH a life-size portrait of Newcastle United legend Sir Bobby Robson adorning the wall of the manager's office at the club's training ground, Chris Hughton admits that the black-and-white knight has been something of a guardian angel this season.

One of Hughton's first tasks upon being handed the manager's role was to order a giant canvas of the former Magpie boss for his training-ground base.

And, speaking to nufcTV ahead of Saturday's visit of Robson's former club Ipswich Town, Hughton explained how the great man has played his part in United's title success.

"Once it was determined I would be taking the manager's role on a full-time basis I thought it would be fitting to have a picture of Sir Bobby in my office," he revealed.

"It was a great honour for me to become manager of this football club and when that happens certain people come to mind.

"One of them, of course, was Sir Bobby, and he would have used this same office.

"I spoke with Sir Bobby on a number of occasions and I knew how proud he was to manage this football club.

"It was right and fitting that the portrait is in my office because we all know what he meant to this football club and I think he would have been proud this season.

"There are times when you think 'What would such and such have done in this situation?' and Sir Bobby is one of those people I have thought about."

Robson passed away last summer at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer, and Hughton feels that the subsequent celebration of his life helped to unite a football club which, at the time, was going through a period of uncertainty.

"It (his death) united the football club and took the difficulties away from people's minds," said Chris.

"This great man and great ambassador for this football club had passed away and it put everything into perspective.

"It was right that we celebrated his life and it was a time that united everybody in football."

• 1 month later...
Guest michaelfoster

People at the pub i was watching at last night started a 'one bobby robson' chant

Everyone joined in, was good.

• 1 month later...

From nufc.com

Ahead of their upcoming trip to Tyneside, PSV Eindhoven faced Ipswich Town at the Phillips Stadium on Saturday, with the home side recording a 1-0 victory.

No organised tributes to Sir Bobby Robson were made, but home and away fans joined together in vocal salutes to their deceased former manager.     

PSV chose to donate a share of the match receipts to charity, donating €1 for each ticket sold. And despite a low turnout on the night, €13,300 (over £11K) was raised for a Dutch children's cancer organisation.