Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

There's a part of that documentary, just call me Bobby where he's showing Lineker around the newly upgraded SJP. It's a couple of years since i watched it but he's showing Lineker the finish demonstrating how good the door casings are. :lol: The man was immensely proud of the fucking door casings.

Contrast that with our current situation. Owned by a man who turned our stadium into the Sports Direct brothel. Sponsored by a pay day loan company, a shirt that was made with no expense considered with an iron on badge. These may be small, reasonably palatable issues when isolated but they add up to a different club. A million miles away from what Sir Bobby would have accepted and that saddens me as i'm sure it does all of you.

Mike Ashley should be made to sit down and watch that film.

RIP Bobby.

titus bramble ‏@19tmb 4m

As i celebrate my birthday its also a sad day for me. The day football lost one of its true legends. Gone but never forgotten. #RIPsirbobby

Retweeted by martin lee trinder

That lot will never work with anyone close to SBR as a manager again. They all admit it, too. Fair play.

Guest NewcastleHibee

What groups funded the bronze statue outside the stadium?

Was any poster here involved in the fundraising, production or implementing of the statue?

The statue is a cracking monument and I'm sure the sculptor was impressed himself.

Was any poster here involved in the fundraising, production or implementing of the statue?

The statue is a cracking monument and I'm sure the sculptor was impressed himself.

Commissioned and paid for by the club, and fair play to them for that.

Sadly still feel a twinge of disappointment whenever I go past it, and far prefer the strength of the Milburn statue. But I suspect very few would have captured him in a way I think he deserves, and hope that over time it the weathering will add to its gravitas. :thup:

Guest NewcastleHibee

Sadly still feel a twinge of disappointment whenever I go past it, and far prefer the strength of the Milburn statue. But I suspect very few would have captured him in a way I think he deserves, and hope that over time it the weathering will add to its gravitas. :thup:

Thanks for that. It was done by the same chap that created one of the Milburn statues (the statue that Milburn's daughter preferred, I think).

I know that one of the Milburn statues was funded entirely by supporters, which is why I asked.

Hibernian recently lost the last of the 'Famous Five' and a naturally the topic of having a statue commissioned is being discussed.

I was interested to find out as much about the feasibility of this as possible and Newcastle was the first club that came to mind.

I think Tom Maley made another statue but I forget which club - Middlesbrough/Sunderland, perhaps.

I think he did a cracking job and it'll stand the test of time.

Thanks for that. It was done by the same chap that created one of the Milburn statues (the statue that Milburn's daughter preferred, I think).

I know that one of the Milburn statues was funded entirely by supporters, which is why I asked.

Hibernian recently lost the last of the 'Famous Five' and a naturally the topic of having a statue commissioned is being discussed.

I was interested to find out as much about the feasibility of this as possible and Newcastle was the first club that came to mind.

I think Tom Maley made another statue but I forget which club - Middlesbrough/Sunderland, perhaps.

I think he did a cracking job and it'll stand the test of time.

Whilst I do love our statue of Sir Bobby, I think the one Ipswich have is probably a better sculpture

http://www.inthestands.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Bobby-Robson-Statue.jpg

I'm so immensely proud that Sir Bobby was our manager  :rose:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

The thing that always gets me is that Bobby wanted us to get Michael Carrick for free, so naturally Shepherd buys Butt for £2.5 million. :lol: Fucking lunatic.

The thing that always gets me is that Bobby wanted us to get Michael Carrick for free, so naturally Shepherd buys Butt for £2.5 million. :lol: f***ing lunatic.

It was Bobby who wanted Carrick for £2.5million but Shep wouldnt pay it. He thought we'd get him for free in January and that Carrick wouldnt sign for anyone else. He then signed for Spurs.

• 3 months later...