Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Im really struggling to watch footage of him on the news etc, i havent cried yet, but im overdue.

Was like that all day at work, numb!

Started crying in the car on the way home listening to tributes and quotes of him on 5 live.

Im not normally one for doing the whole going somewhere to lay flowers when someone I didnt know dies, but this is a massive exception. I'll be there tomorrow.

I feel the same. I honestly can't think of anyone else that would move me enough to go to the ground to pay tribute but this is an exception. We're going to pay a visit tomorrow and take the baby so we can tell him about it all when he's older. He'll never get to see or meet Bobby but we'll make sure he knows what a truly wonderful man he was.

My first chance to get on here cos of overtime at work and must admit we all knew it was coming but so suddenly after sunday is a real shock still ,the word legend is overused in life but on sir Bobby it is so true for a gentleman with honour ,humility,sportsmanship,selflessness,love, you name it he had it and we had the honour of him managing the club he was born to manage and many years of football a joy to watch ,i nearly lost it a few times at work today listening to various shows dedicated to him , BOBBY ROBSON R.I.P TRULY TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF GOD  :weep:

I'm putting the blue-sponsored Northern Rock shirt down tomorrow.  I've wrote a message on it.

Also think I might pop into the Back Page to buy "Just Call Me Bobby" if they haven't already sold out.

That bit where he's bragging about our solid pine doors will live with me forever.  The first time I saw it, it cracked me up.  We had doors of solid pine, and to him, that was an important symbol of how great a club we were.

Guest Joe90

The world is a poorer place for not having Sir Bobby in it. A true gentleman of morals who valued the principles of fair play and sportsmanship whatever the outcome. So many quiet memories of the man who's continuing love of the game was an example of how sport can rise above petty differences which has been shown the world over by the many warm tributes paid to his memory and legacy. Rest in peace Sir Bobby. It was an absolute honour to have you as manager of Newcastle United Football Club and, at heart, to be one of us.

Guest Geordiesned

Its a 10 minute thing after the news on itv. Half hour tribute starting on sky sports 2 now.

Obviously I cant get to SJP, so donated the price of the flowers to the foundation. Thought it would be a good idea for anyone who is outside of England and would like to lay a bunch at SJP (and cant).

Shepherd intimating that although he sacked Robson (as chairman), it wasn't his choice. Implying that others were behind the decision - probably the Hall's?

More weasel words from a man who never seems to want to take responsibility for his mistakes. I'm not buying it for a second.

To be fair, Bobby had lost the support of alot of fans at the time anyway, so its unfair to blame Shepherd.

Bobby did great for the club but took it as far as he could unfortunately.

For sure he wasn't the only one who wanted Sir Bob to go. I'm just annoyed that he should be trying to duck his fair share of the responsibility with all these 'I was only obeying orders' - type hints.

Anyway, enough of that odious little man.

We are sitting watching "Just call me Bobby" on DVD and smiling a lot :aww:

Me too!

Talking about the Oak round the doors.  "Not plywood......Oak!!!"

Ledge!

I know it's daft as a brush, but really it shows what people mean when they say he was a man of standards. He set very high standards for himself and expected them same from everyone else he worked with. When he came to Newcastle he ensured that everything met his standards from the table in the manager's office to the grass on the pitch, etc. etc.

"Bobby Robson is one of those people who never die, not so much for what he did in his career, for one victory more or less, but for what he knew to give to those who had, like me, the good fortune to know him and walk by his side,"

Jose Mourinho.

:weep: