Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

He had the odd good game but he doesn't belong in the company above.

You can't mean Shola, I think even you could belong in his company as a footballer and I've never seen you play.

Players like Bellamy, Shearer, Solano, Robert, Dyer, Speed, Lua Lua and of course Sir Bobby.

• 1 month later...

"A quirky statistic from Wednesday's Champions League quarter-finals is that all four managers once played in the same Barcelona team.

Barca coach Luis Enrique , PSG manager Laurent Blanc , Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola and Porto coach Julen Lopetegui were all on the books at the Nou Camp during the 1996-97 season, when Bobby Robson was manager of the Catalan club."

Guest TruToon94

He never hit the heights we all hoped, mainly as he couldn't keep his head up, but Lua Lua was a very exciting player to watch.

Agreed. At the time in and in retrospect if people were to ask if we had to put up with Shola or have him, I'd still chose Lua Lua everytime. At least he could run!

• 1 month later...

I laughed out loud a couple of times during that clip, great stuff. The way Bobby stutters around and Jose answers the questions for him, they seem like a double act not a manager and his coach.

Guest Brendan_Rice

I laughed out loud a couple of times during that clip, great stuff. The way Bobby stutters around and Jose answers the questions for him, they seem like a double act not a manager and his coach.

Was Mourinho not just a translator for Bobby?

Was Mourinho not just a translator for Bobby?

I think he was during Bobby's time in Portugal but by the time they moved to Barca I think Mourinho started to have more of an influence in coaching and tactics etc. I'm sure VI would be able to confirm this though.

Guest Brendan_Rice

Mourinho was hired as an assistant manager by the time they moved to Porto.

Pretty impressive going from a translator to an assistant manager

Obviously I speak from a less personally invested viewpoint compared to you guys, but even though much of his career was before my time, I don't think there's one figure in football I can say I have more respect for than this man. He was a gentlemanly world class manager, and he was a world class gentleman. Very, very rare to see such professional, top-level longevity mixed with such grace, dignity and class.

This is why I can never dislike Mourinho, a true apprentice turned master.

He has so much respect for Bobby too,in Mourinho's book he says one of the most important things he learnt from Bobby was "just because you win doesn't mean your the best,and just because you lose doesn't make you the worst"

He has so much respect for Bobby too,in Mourinho's book he says one of the most important things he learnt from Bobby was "just because you win doesn't mean your the best,and just because you lose doesn't make you the worst"

Best coach in da league could hear Sir Bobby speak to him in his dreams every night.