Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

I bought the 'Just Call me Bobby' DVD a while ago, and it was absolutely brilliant.

I think it was even better because it was a while before his death, therefore not a rose-tinted tribute but a genuine picture of the man. Just spending time listening to him going about his job is the best way to remember him IMO.

I bought the 'Just Call me Bobby' DVD a while ago, and it was absolutely brilliant.

I think it was even better because it was a while before his death, therefore not a rose-tinted tribute but a genuine picture of the man. Just spending time listening to him going about his job is the best way to remember him IMO.

As chance would have it I watched this last night as I was in alone. Quality DVD.

As chance would have it I watched this last night as I was in alone. Quality DVD.

Agreed.

Guest johnson293

Aye, saw that when it was first shown on TV and its great to show his enthusiasm for everything - even down to him enthusing about the quality of the doors and door frames in St James' Park when he's showing Lineker around.

It showed how proud he was of the club, the ground and the job he had at the time.

best sales pitch ever  :lol:

They are a good quality t-shirt and obviously the design is brillaint as the tf lad did them.

They are brilliant Christmas presents.

And the England one will be particularly good when you are over in So Africa or down the pub with your mates watching the Three Lions lose on penalties in the Quarter Finals. Or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of getting a pic of Sir Bobby blown up as a Christmas present. Not sure which one to go for though, any suggestions? Got a couple in mind, but not sure. The first I'm thinking of is the image of him speaking to the squad against Barca and the other is the one where he's walking away in the rain under his umbrella.

One question, all of you lot that have read his bio. What does he say about his times in Barcelona? I had a conversation/argument this morning with another Barça fan about how he was treated in his time here, and really wanted to know what the man himself thought of us.

Barça TV aired an interview with him last week, recorded last year, have to see if I can get hold of it when I go to Spain this Christmas.

i think he felt like he was treated unfairly after he did so well in his season in charge, being moved to a director of football position. but certainly never seemed bitter about the whole thing, towards the end of his life he always described his second season by saying "  i was the best paid scout in the world". thats the only thing i can really think of.

but its been a while since i'v read his bio and dont have it to hand, so not sure if this is entirely trustworthy. 

i think he felt like he was treated unfairly after he did so well in his season in charge, being moved to a director of football position. but certainly never seemed bitter about the whole thing, towards the end of his life he always described his second season by saying "  i was the best paid scout in the world". thats the only thing i can really think of.

but its been a while since i'v read his bio and dont have it to hand, so not sure if this is entirely trustworthy. 

It is true he use to say " I was the best paid scout in the world" Bobby did really well but after Cruiff he is very hard to follow. Nunns the chairman at the time get lots of abuse from cruiff lover media and when Van Gaal is available at the time the world best Manager because of his AJAX team he snapped him up. Bobby also decline a chance to manage us just after Keegan left that year by staying true to his contract. I always ask my self what would happen had Bobby followed Keegan....

It is true he use to say " I was the best paid scout in the world" Bobby did really well but after Cruiff he is very hard to follow. Nunns the chairman at the time get lots of abuse from cruiff lover media and when Van Gaal is available at the time the world best Manager because of his AJAX team he snapped him up. Bobby also decline a chance to manage us just after Keegan left that year by staying true to his contract. I always ask my self what would happen had Bobby followed Keegan....

That's the gist of it really. He was guilty of not being Cruyff. Most of the press and lot of the fans (not all by a long shot, though), were pretty pissed at the way he was fired and attacked Nuñez through his new manager. I have to say that I wasn't in love with his football style, but the results were there and he signed Ronaldo afterall. But he always took it very gentlemanly, and only was guilty of landing in Barça's bench at a bad time.

Will add that president Nuñez was a long time admirer of Robson and had tried several times to have him on our bench, but always found the same response: Robson always honours his contracts (Terry Venables came to Barça in 1984 under Robson's recommendation, for example).

Guest Howaythetoon

One question, all of you lot that have read his bio. What does he say about his times in Barcelona? I had a conversation/argument this morning with another Barça fan about how he was treated in his time here, and really wanted to know what the man himself thought of us.

Barça TV aired an interview with him last week, recorded last year, have to see if I can get hold of it when I go to Spain this Christmas.

Said Barca were/are the biggest club in football, an honour for him to manage it, great culture, fans etc. but internal and external politics make it hard for anyone to manage it they way they want to. He didn't seem bitter over it that's what struck me about his comments on his time there, although he was quite scathing about the attitude of some fans who weren't happy with a 6-0 win or something. What more do they want I think were his words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Mick, excellent read.

I got the Knight To Remember DVD for Christmas and watched it yesterday. Really excellent watch, and obviously it's extremely emotional as well. Especially when Gazza is talking.

• 3 months later...