World Class?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bad crack, guess this place is a bit more Nazi than other forums.

its the law

You'll be telling us you don't and drink drive, next.

I can guarantee he doesn't as it happens. :lol:

that works on two counts.

I know.

Teetotal without a licence?

Alonso > Gerrard and that proves how crazy it is that Gerrard is making "world class" lists (Alonso might go either way).  Gerrard can't even work in a midfield where someone plays the same way he does for fucks sake - how is that world class?  

He can play in midfield for England, but his strengths are nullified by having two strikers already on the team with a midfielder next to him who he has to cover for. Should play Gerrard off Rooney, with Lampard given the licence to bomb on from midfield, been saying it for ages.

I hate seeing Gerrard on 'World Class' lists.

Never done it at International level = not world clas imo. Not to mention the on-field thuggery and constant cheating whcih leads to his 'match winning' goals for Liverpool.

Figo in his pomp, now there was world class. Ditto the real Ronaldo (albeit possibly on too short a time scale to be truly world class).

Gerrard is world class.

<Soz like>

I understand why you'd not include him due to lack of International success, but does that mean the likes of Essien and Drogba should be disregarded here? Or what about the likes of Best, Cantona, Di Stefano, Litmanen, Weah, Giggs who never even played at a World Cup, should they be disregarded in laying claim to World Class status?

Now I know the majority of them played for inferior teams than England, but Englands failings as a whole can be put to blame for lack of international pedigree.

Drogba is worshipped like a god in the Ivory Coast, he's brilliant at international level. Colo's SAC didn't neccessarily mean success as in silverwear

Isn't he worshipped like a god, because he's an absolutely amazing player playing for a nation that doesn't exactly have a massive history of producing world class players?

Scoring goals against Burundi, Malawi, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Benin, Libya etc when you're the main focal point of a team's attack doesn't really go alot to proving whether you're a top quality international player? Not that I'm saying Drogba isn't, but purely for arguments sake.

Bad crack, guess this place is a bit more Nazi than other forums.

its the law

You'll be telling us you don't and drink drive, next.

I can guarantee he doesn't as it happens. :lol:

that works on two counts.

I know.

Teetotal without a licence?

anyhoo...somewhat of the topic aren't we ?

stevie "punchie" G as world class....many world class moments but not enough world class games.

Alonso > Gerrard and that proves how crazy it is that Gerrard is making "world class" lists (Alonso might go either way).  Gerrard can't even work in a midfield where someone plays the same way he does for f***s sake - how is that world class?  

How does Alonso > Gerrard work like? Alonso has one great season (btw, thats not saying his others in England were ordinary) and suddenly he's worth £35m and on another level to Gerrard? I cant stand 'Stevie G' but he's a hell of a good footballer. He hasnt hit it off for England, but neither had Alonso with Spain until last year.

Puyol is not a world class defender tbh.

Even though he was at the heart of the Spanish side that won the Euro Championships in style, and also a vital defensive member of the Barca side that won everything last year?

Not sure. Maybe he's not a spectacular defender, but he's difficult to beat at the highest levels and in the big games.

Spain and Barcelona's success is down to their attacking options, not defensive.

Puyol can be clumsy and often dives into tackles without thinking and gets caught out.

Alonso > Gerrard and that proves how crazy it is that Gerrard is making "world class" lists (Alonso might go either way).  Gerrard can't even work in a midfield where someone plays the same way he does for f***s sake - how is that world class?  

How does Alonso > Gerrard work like? Alonso has one great season (btw, thats not saying his others in England were ordinary) and suddenly he's worth £35m and on another level to Gerrard? I cant stand 'Stevie G' but he's a hell of a good footballer. He hasnt hit it off for England, but neither had Alonso with Spain until last year.

This. Gerrard is a better player overall. Alonso reminds me of Juninho in a lot of ways, he has brilliant technique, but imo that doesn't make him a world class player, you need a bit more than that. For example I can't imagine Alonso ever doing what Gerrard did against Milan in the Champions League final, a good player no doubt, but not world class.

Never done it at International level = not world clas imo. Not to mention the on-field thuggery and constant cheating whcih leads to his 'match winning' goals for Liverpool.

Figo in his pomp, now there was world class. Ditto the real Ronaldo (albeit possibly on too short a time scale to be truly world class).

Gerrard is world class.

<Soz like>

I understand why you'd not include him due to lack of International success, but does that mean the likes of Essien and Drogba should be disregarded here? Or what about the likes of Best, Cantona, Di Stefano, Litmanen, Weah, Giggs who never even played at a World Cup, should they be disregarded in laying claim to World Class status?

Now I know the majority of them played for inferior teams than England, but Englands failings as a whole can be put to blame for lack of international pedigree.

Drogba is worshipped like a god in the Ivory Coast, he's brilliant at international level. Colo's SAC didn't neccessarily mean success as in silverwear

Isn't he worshipped like a god, because he's an absolutely amazing player playing for a nation that doesn't exactly have a massive history of producing world class players?

Scoring goals against Burundi, Malawi, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Benin, Libya etc when you're the main focal point of a team's attack doesn't really go alot to proving whether you're a top quality international player? Not that I'm saying Drogba isn't, but purely for arguments sake.

He plays well for them consistently, be it against Holland or Argentina or whoever. Gerrard on the other hand looks a different player in the england shirt

Gerrard is world class.

<Soz like>

He plays well for them consistently, be it against Holland or Argentina or whoever. Gerrard on the other hand looks a different player in the england shirt

Answered for me before I got a chance to!

I take on board the point about Giggs et al, but Gerrard has had the platform with England to really stamp himself on the International game and time and time again has failed to deliver.

Best and Giggs looked good in poor teams, as do Drogba and Essien. Gerrard looks ordinary at best in a team who should be looking at quarter finals at a minimum in each tournament. Thats not being England-arrogant (I couldn't give a stuff about England tbh), but England are constantly in the Fifa top 10 and as such should be looking at not reaching the quarters as failure.

If you look at Gerrards top match winning/saving moments, a lot of them involve cheating. Give me Barry/Carrick and Lampard in the middle for England anyday over the sly scouse cheat

edit: not sure I'm liking the abbreviation to Colo's Sac like, its one step too far!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Final List?

Now put them in order :)

Gerrard

Rooney

Torres

Villa

Drogba

Terry

Rio

Messi

Iniesta

Xavi

Ronaldo

Kaka

Vidic

Casillas

Eto

Essien

Ribery

Buffon

Henry

Ranger

Messi I'd say was in a class of his own.

In the sub-class below him, I'd put Iniesta, Kaka, Rooney, Gerrard, Torres, Ribery and Essien.

Defenders you judge by different criteria, so I'm ignoring them.

Messi I'd say was in a class of his own.

In the sub-class below him, I'd put Iniesta, Kaka, Rooney, Gerrard, Torres, Ribery and Essien.

Defenders you judge by different criteria, so I'm ignoring them.

No C. Ronaldo?  ???

I think Ribery is world class.

He looks good, but he's never really done it in an international tournament, the CL or in one of the top three leagues in the world. Don't think he can go down as world class as it stands (mind I have only picked 4 players in the world).

Puyol is not a world class defender tbh.

Even though he was at the heart of the Spanish side that won the Euro Championships in style, and also a vital defensive member of the Barca side that won everything last year?

Not sure. Maybe he's not a spectacular defender, but he's difficult to beat at the highest levels and in the big games.

Spain and Barcelona's success is down to their attacking options, not defensive.

Puyol can be clumsy and often dives into tackles without thinking and gets caught out.

Much of it is down to their attacking strength and playing style yes, but Puyol has been great for both sides when it's mattered. The CL final was an example of this, fantastic defensive display from Puyol at right back. Rooney, Ronaldo et al didn't get a look in.

I'd agree that he can be clumsy, but he wasn't last season imo, nor was he throughout the Euro's. I'd say he's a world class utility defender given how well he's performed across the back four.

As I think Mowen hinted at earlier in the thread, are we looking to pick just generally the best players, or the best XI?

Because as already said, theoretically there can be only one "world class" player for each position.

As I think Mowen hinted at earlier in the thread, are we looking to pick just generally the best players, or the best XI?

Because as already said, theoretically there can be only one "world class" player for each position.

That was Nixon you ringpiece. :angry:

Are players who go to the World Cup for their country not therefore 'England class' etc?

Assuming they are I would say that at any time there would be around 30 'World Class' players and it may be an easier task to name a world squad (3 keepers etc) which could then be narrowed down to a World 11.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Gerrard

Messi

Xavi

Iniesta

Kaka

Ronaldo

Essien

Ribery

All world class, but cant all play in the same team