The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Love it there, Everton are 0-2 and there's 3:35 gone of the four minutes of stoppage time. Distin dribbles towards his own goal, and the ground is silent bar one bloke yelling "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY" :lol:

Why aren't the press hounding Moyes out like Benitez? his results are just as bad.

Everton have had a horrendous start injury wise, and the supporters should be content knowing they are still contending for their goals at this point. Treading water, before snapping at the jugular vein that is the European places.

As for Rafa, we should remember that rising expectations lead to revolution. The bar has been set, and he is falling short. The people want change. Change shall come about. Rafa's days are numbered.

Why aren't the press hounding Moyes out like Benitez? his results are just as bad.

Everton have had a horrendous start injury wise, and the supporters should be content knowing they are still contending for their goals at this point. Treading water, before snapping at the jugular vein that is the European places.

As for Rafa, we should remember that rising expectations lead to revolution. The bar has been set, and he is falling short. The people want change. Change shall come about. Rafa's days are numbered.

And so ends the gospel according to Babatunde.

Indeed. It should be remembered the contexts of the 2 clubs are different. When Moyes came, we were a mediocre PL side fighting relegation most years, and he's transformed us into a squad with plenty of talent, and 3 top 6 finishes in the past 3 years to boot. Most fans I know, like myself, aren't too panicky at the moment, because we know we can turn it around when we get players back, get a good win under our belts, and so on.

Where has the fat Spanish waiter taken Liverpool? Sideways as far as I can see, and has made some seemingly horrendous calls (buying Keane and not giving him a sniff, selling Alonso, being 2 recent ones), which has culminated in them being a 2 man team. And what happens when they're out? The last 3 weeks happen.

That said, it should be noted that there was massive room for improvement when Moyes came to Everton (i.e. most of the PL to climb). Benitez had the clear task of winning the Premier League. As such, he has failed.

Regarding the Europa League, we were awful last night. But, we got a stroke of luck in Greece with the 2-2 draw (sorry Chris), meaning qualification is very much in our own hands. Without boring you with various permutations, we basically need to beat BATE at Goodison, because I can hardly see us going over to Athens and winning, at the current time.

And regarding the rest of the league campaign, well, things aren't going to get better any time soon. After West Ham on Sunday, we go through a period of 3 months where we play the big 4 twice. But, I still retain hope that we can pick up enough points during the upcoming games to keep us around mid-table, slowly improve, and then make a charge in our last 10 games. And if anyone checks them out, you can see why I think we have a good chance of a European spot, even if we're in a similar position come February.

May as well be optimistic, anyway.

Cronaldo has seen his injury worsened and will spend a further month in the sidelines, potentially missing El Clásico. He has, however, dodged surgery for now (that would sideline him for 3 months...).

Spanish TV showed a guy a few months ago claiming that he had put a hex on him and that he would barely play until Christmas unless Florentino paid him $$$$$$. Voodoo blackmail! So awesome.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

It would be truly horrendous to see CRonaldo and his cultured left foot missing El Classico. I remember watching him in the EPL he used to bomb down the left wing and deliver powerful and accurate crosses for Rooney to finish with his incredible heading prowess. I can't believe that's the same Rooney I used to do child modelling with, stunning.

However, if CRonaldo is missing El Classico to avoid surgery that would keep him out for even longer, then it's horses for courses. At least the game should still be a highly contested contest with Messi patrolling the defensive midfield area with his powerful physique. Sad to think he will be retiring in a few seasons now he's reached his mid 30s.

I'm willing to say now that Wigan will not win La Liga again.

Zlatan's work rate and Iniesta's aerial prowess will win the game for us, surely.

By the way, who came up with the name "El Clásico"? We sure as hell did not. Only have heard that nickname in the very few last seasons.

I thought that was the name of Boca v River. It was probably fucking Sky.

Zlatan's work rate and Iniesta's aerial prowess will win the game for us, surely.

By the way, who came up with the name "El Clásico"? We sure as hell did not. Only have heard that nickname in the very few last seasons.

I thought that was the name of Boca v River. It was probably f***ing Sky.

Yeah, that was my impression too. But it's starting to get used in the press around here (fucking Marca), although it really has zero tradition. We don't really have a story of naming our derbies/rivalry matches like you do.

I thought that was the name of Boca v River. It was probably f***ing Sky.

Yeah, that was my impression too. But it's starting to get used in the press around here (f***ing Marca), although it really has zero tradition. We don't really have a story of naming our derbies/rivalry matches like you do.

We'll I wouldn't say we named them.  The Tyne/Wear derby represents the areas both teams reside in.  Can't think of a one with a name tbh?

Yeah, but that's a name on itself, we just call them "Barça-Madrid" "Madrid-Atlético" or "the derby" if you are talking to other fans of your team or your local rivals ("you won't get a sniff at the derby" and such). But lately we are starting to see all this "Derby Madrileño" "El Clásico" thing on the press, I assume by influence of the English media and the globalization of the game.

I guess we are just getting on with the times and all this branding malarkey.

EDIT: Silly topic but I need very few excuses to procastinate.

Robbie Savage is a cunt, he's embarrassing at times.

I think it was probably a yellow but the way he threw himself to the ground and rolled over did the player no favours.

Yeah I agree, was no need for the theatrics.