Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not often i agree with Steve bruce but he was right when talking about capello not coming up to the North East to watch the players,  the only time he will watch the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland are when they are playing away and probably against a big team. 

:sadnod: Carroll scoring at the Arse was one of the  pivotal points in his career. 

They may have a point in regards to Bent, but I guess he saw enough about his game at Spurs and last season at Sunderland to know what he can and can't do. Injuries excepted, he's 2nd choice at best for England.

And up until Carroll started to build his reputation as the season went on there was no reason for Capello to specifically come up to Newcastle to watch us.

Theres no bias, just we both don't (or didn't) have any English players who should be England class.

They may have a point in regards to Bent, but I guess he saw enough about his game at Spurs and last season at Sunderland to know what he can and can't do. Injuries excepted, he's 2nd choice at best for England.

And up until Carroll started to build his reputation as the season went on there was no reason for Capello to specifically come up to Newcastle to watch us.

Theres no bias, just we both don't (or didn't) have any English players who should be England class.

Changing the terms of the discussion a little bit, but the England squad doesn't have many players in it that are England class. The whole thing needs an overhaul, and bearing in mind we have the highest proportion of English players in the country and can play well, we're worth looking at.

Not discounting players at other clubs of course, but Barton, Nolan and Simpson, and possibly Harper and Williamson should have been called up along with Carroll for assessment to see if they should be part of a newly forged team/squad/system, because the old one is patently not up to the job.

Not been worse than any other out there today, the game as a whole has been utter shite

I expect more from him though, obviously the pitch is shit but he really hasn't been fit it so far.

Hopefully a better second half from the lad, Pardew clearly signalled "that's two shit corners now Joey" :lol:

Got another unjust booking last night after receiving three or four challenges on him, each more worthy of a yellow card.  Fucking reputations mean more than anything in this game.

the challenges made on him should have been booked. However i agree with the refree on Joey's yellow.

Probably waiting like Enrique to see if we are safe and what the clubs intent is over the summer. I would.

Its also possible that the club is waiting to use it as a PR boost too. If he is going to sign it why not wait until we can use that as a morale boost.

I think they will both sign if we finish well. Doesnt mean we wont sell both.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barton-pay-peanuts-you-get-monkeys-2217175.html

Barton: 'Pay peanuts, you get monkeys'

By Phil Shaw

Thursday, 17 February 2011

Joey Barton has urged Newcastle United's owner, Mike Ashley, to ensure the £35m the club received for Andy Carroll is reinvested in the team. And the midfielder warned that the club must recruit personnel of the requisite quality, rather than buying on the cheap, to bolster a squad short on depth.

On Tuesday, Newcastle gained their first victory since Carroll joined Liverpool, adding a 2-0 win at Birmingham to Saturday's 0-0 draw at Blackburn. Barton believes the results show the camaraderie of Alan Pardew's side, but maintains the new manager must be given the resources to break a "stop-start" cycle on Tyneside. "You don't take four points from Ewood and St Andrew's if you don't have that character," said Barton, who made his 200th league appearance against the Carling Cup finalists. "This squad wants to keep pushing on but we need a squad to compete on all fronts. It's up to the men upstairs to make sure we amass one and get the bodies in to challenge for Europe."

In a thinly veiled message to Ashley, Barton added: "You need to spend money. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. So hopefully they spend it and spend it wisely. There are certain characters who, if you'd brought them into this dressing-room four or five years ago, wouldn't have gelled. The mentality now is such that you could almost pitch anyone in and they would buy into our work ethic. Everyone who has come in over the past year has had to buy into our principles and there are lads who sacrifice individual performances for the team. "With all the adversity that's gone on around the club, we're probably a bit low on bodies [to compete in the Premier League] and go on cup runs and the things we all want to do. We played on Saturday and Tuesday, and obviously teams who can rotate are at a massive advantage. If we can add more in the summer, we've got the spine of a side that can push for a European place."

Barton suggested Newcastle's spirit had developed despite a perpetual state of flux. "The nature of this club is that it's sometimes stop-start. As soon as we get something going, players get sold and we have to start again. It feels like a constant work in progress and it's tough in that respect, but what we have is character in abundance."

Guest VegasToon

Some more quotes in the Daily Star: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/177232/Newcastle-s-Joey-Barton-Splash-your-cash-Ash-/

JOEY BARTON has told Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to get his wallet out and splash the cash.

Midfield ace Barton insists a push for Europe next season will fall fl at if the £35m Andy Carroll windfall is not invested in the team.

The 28-year-old believes Newcastle are not too far short of having a side ready to make big progress.

But if Liverpool’s massive cheque for Carroll is banked, never to be seen again, Barton says it will be back to square one for the club.

Barton said: “You need to spend money. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

“This club wants to keep pushing on but we need a squad to compete on all fronts and we want to do that.

“And that’s up to the men upstairs to make sure we amass a squad and get the bodies in to challenge for Europe.”

Newcastle’s 2-0 win at Birmingham shunted them up into ninth spot in the table.

Barton said: “Hopefully they will spend the money because we’ve got some good players here.

“If we can add more to that in the summer then we’ve got the basis and the spine of a top side and a team that is capable of challenging for Europe in my opinion.

“With all the adversity that has gone on around the club, we are probably a bit low on bodies to compete in the league and go on cup runs and do all the things that we want to do.”

Barton wants the Newcastle mistakes of old to be avoided to take the club to the next level.

“It is the nature of this club sometimes that things are stopstart,” he said.

“As soon as we get something going, players get sold and then we have to s t a r t again. It feels like it is a constant work in progress and it can be tough in that respect.

“There have been stages in the season when you think we have a good chance of Europe but you need bodies. Teams that can rotate have a massive advantage.

"We are going to take things a game at a time with regard to Europe and just see where it gets us. If it ends up being enough, then great.”

Barton firmly believes that the building blocks are in place to put the club on a solid footing.

He added: “Hopefully they spend the cash – and spend it wisely.

“Maybe if you had brought in certain characters four or five years ago, they wouldn’t have gelled.

“But the mentality here now, you could almost pitch anyone in and they would buy into the work ethic we have.

“We’re not getting too far in front of ourselves because we also know that we have still got to get to that 42-point mark which we set ourselves as the minimum required to be safe.”

Guest VegasToon

Very good read and says exactly what all of us are thinking.  We need to spend some money, build the depth and we can make a good push for Europe. 

Barton needs to climb off his high horse. We've paid him huge wages for long periods in his contract when he was unavailable due to offending behaviour and injuries. I don't like him giving the club a lecture.

I also wonder what the players on lower wages than him feel about his 'pay peanuts get monkeys' comment. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend, but he should be more careful what he says.

Barton needs to climb off his high horse. We've paid him huge wages for long periods in his contract when he was unavailable due to offending behaviour and injuries. I don't like him giving the club a lecture.

I also wonder what the players on lower wages than him feel about his 'pay peanuts get monkeys' comment. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend, but he should be more careful what he says.

i do, i like it a lot

they obviously haven't got a fucking clue and aren't interested in learning about football - maybe someone shouting it in their faces will make them notice?

Guest toonlass

No he doesn't. It's refreshing to hear a player speaking intelligently.

Players on lower wages are on lower wages for a reason. If you buy championship quality players it is more than likely that you will end up playing championship football. Barton has said what we have been saying on here. If the money brought in from the Carroll sale is wasted on sub-standard players then it will have been wasted. If it is invested in quality then the Carroll sale will have been a stroke of genius. He obviously wants to see this club kicking on from where we are, which is exactly what we all want.

Barton is not afraid to speak openly and honestly about his views. Whether you like what he says or not, it makes a change from listening to the turboshit that most players spout.