Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew would be reluctant to lose Barton but cash plus his former West Ham charge Reo-Coker may prove persuasive.

Nee f***ing chance. Why the f*** would we sell Barton and get him, nowhere near as good as Joey.

Obviously bullshit.

Why would we sack Chris and replace him with a manager with a worse record.  With this club (regime) you never know.

This window- could have a huge bearing on where the club is headed.

just cant help feelig Ashley is too willing to throw away long term prospects for a fast $$$

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd take Reo-Coker like.

Not in a swap deal obviously.

Former Wimbledon player too, so he'll be best mates with Ashley no doubt! He's had decent industry about him last time I saw him player, which feels like FOREVER ago now, which wouldn't a miss in our midfield at the moment. Just hope the lack of regularly football hasn't totally stalled his development/confidence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/11/joey-barton-newcastle-aston-villa

Aston Villa put off by Joey Barton wage demands and Newcastle price tag

• Newcastle thought to want £6m for 29-year-old midfielder

• Gérard Houllier keen on player but wage bill a problem

* Stuart James

* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 11 January 2011 18.10 GMT

Aston Villa appear unlikely to sign Joey Barton after being put off by the player's wage demands and Newcastle United's asking price.

Gérard Houllier was keen on bringing Barton to Anfield during his time in charge of Liverpool and has revived his interest in the midfielder since taking over at Villa. Barton, however, is earning £67,000 per week at St James' Park and it is also understood that Newcastle would want £6m for a player who will turn 29 later this year.

With Paul Faulkner, Villa's chief executive, eager to reduce the Midlands club's wage bill after it climbed to £71m in the last set of accounts, there appears little prospect of a deal taking place.

Barton has previously suggested he would be happy to remain at Newcastle but he has less than 18 months remaining on his contract and there is no chance of Mike Ashley, the club's owner, sanctioning a new deal on similar terms. West Ham expressed interest in the former Manchester City player but they also felt the financial package was beyond them.

If I could pick one person to score a winner against them it would be Barton just for how much they hate him and how much it would wind them up.

This, plus how much I love him and how awesome his celebration would be. Smiling at the thought.

Deserves a new deal like, top class this season.

Definitely deserves a new deal based on this season, although we've paid him a fortune for doing nothing for a few years so hopefully he'll show some respect and restraint in his dealings over a new contract.

Really hope Pardew doesn't ever try to play him on the left wing again like last week, the only reason we would want him out wide is because he's a good crosser of the ball, but on his right foot only.

I would never have dreamed I would be saying this a year ago but Barton epitomises what you need to be a successful Newcastle player. Big match temperament and talent. Shame he's not a yard quicker but then Gerrard wouldn't be an England player.