Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Never thought he had that kind of pass in him. Always just thought he was a typical 'allround' English midfielder, jack of all trades but master of none - and after his previous 3 years at the club you can see why I thought that.

Does have genuine class about him though, showing it now.

Can't take you seriously man.  You're just a deranged sex-pest to me now.

Guest neesy111

Barton has proved now that Allardyce was correct in buying him and selling Parker.  We shouldn't be looking to replace him at all.

Barton has proved now that Allardyce was correct in buying him and selling Parker.  We shouldn't be looking to replace him at all.

Um no.  I was happy when we bought Barton and sold Parker. And I think Ive been a consistent backer of Barton  at Newcastle. But no. Allardyce has not been proved right. To my mind Barton--when he isn't injured, recovering from injury, suspended, or in jail-- is a better player than Parker--imo he's one of the best in the league, but he hasn't played for us often enough.

Were it my decision and I could do it all over again, I would not have sold Parker in the first place.

Alan Smith was Parker's replacement.

Dyer's replacement wasn't he?

Aye, seem to remember Alan Oliver (yes, I know) banging on for months about how Allardyce had the option of buying Elano but went with Smith instead.

Seem to remember quotes from BFS about replacing Dyer the day before Smudger arrived.

Aye, seem to remember Alan Oliver (yes, I know) banging on for months about how Allardyce had the option of buying Elano but went with Smith instead.

Seem to remember quotes from BFS about replacing Dyer the day before Smudger arrived.

do we have to have "replacements" ? could we not just buy players we think are good and can do a job for us.

do we have to have "replacements" ? could we not just buy players we think are good and can do a job for us.

No but it seems to be what was going on at that time.

No but BSA did.

Just spotted a blog post about Joey on Run Of Play

New on RoP: On the strange calm of Joey Barton, by @ayjay: http://runofplay.com/s/16689.

Whenever I get to watch Newcastle United, my eyes aren’t on Andy Carroll, emerging young star that he is, but on Joey Barton—always on Joey Barton. What’s especially fascinating about Barton is the disjunct between his repeatedly bizarre, boorish, and criminal behavior and his typical on-pitch demeanor. In the recent draw with Sunderland, for instance, Barton was the still heart of his side for the whole match. He kept the team steady throughout: when his teammates struggled to keep possession, he would drop back, receive the ball, and distribute it smartly. He took all, or nearly all, the team’s free kicks during the game, and used them to put his teammates in good attacking positions. His defense was intelligently disruptive. Clearly his teammates looked to him to provide stability; he was supremely calm throughout, a Geordie Xavi. (It was particularly important for him to play that role with the propulsively dangerous Carroll on the bench with an injury.) Watching him play, not just in this match but in most matches, I find it almost impossible to believe that this is the guy who crashes his car into pedestrians, pummels teammates on the training field, curses his managers, makes two-footed lunges into opponents’ shins.

It’s useful in this context to compare Barton to another famously combustible player, Craig Bellamy. Bellamy would wear his temper on his sleeve except that he keeps his sleeves short to show off his tats. He flings himself madly but purposefully around the pitch for as long as his worn-out knees hold up; when he’s making one of his brilliant bandy-legged runs you think he’s going to launch himself into a defender rather than avoid him, and when he flies into a tackle you’re surprised whenever it’s not two-footed and studs-up. You could have no idea who Craig Bellamy is but watch him play for ten minutes and have his temperament fully pegged.11 Not his character, though: off the pitch Bellamy is a remarkable guy.

But if you had no idea who Joey Barton was and watched him play as he played on Sunday, as he plays most games, you’d probably assume that he’s a pillar of the community and the kind of guy his teammates seek out for wise counsel.

At the end of the Sunderland match, after Newcastle had led throughout only to give up a stoppage-time equalizing tap-in by Asamoah Gyan, the television camera found Barton. As players shook hands and exchanged shirts and walked off the pitch, Barton just squatted on his haunches, squinting into the distance, breathing heavily, not talking to anyone. His look was that of a man who had worked hard and didn’t have much to show for it—not as much as he had hoped for, anyway. Or maybe that was the look of someone trying very hard to master his emotions, and, as far as I could tell, succeeding.

[/Quote]