Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Can't disagree with anything Barton says.

That's not the point. He shouldn't be putting stuff like that out in the public domain.

Guess that depends on your perspective.

I can understand the argument, but if our players are being fucked about my the management I have no problem with Barton putting that in the press and being honest.  I doubt he's sowing sedition where none should exist.

I hate the way our club is run, and if one of the players stands up and says there's good reason for that, then respect to him.

Do you want all the operations of our club done in the public domain then? It could get very messy.

That's not the point. He shouldn't be putting stuff like that out in the public domain.

I can understand the argument, but if our players are being f***ed about my the management I have no problem with Barton putting that in the press and being honest.  I doubt he's sowing sedition where none should exist.

I hate the way our club is run, and if one of the players stands up and says there's good reason for that, then respect to him.

Do you want all the operations of our club done in the public domain then? It could get very messy.

No, of course not.

But when the ship's being steered by blind drunkards, I'd rather it got messy so it could get better.

I can understand the argument, but if our players are being fucked about my the management I have no problem with Barton putting that in the press and being honest.  I doubt he's sowing sedition where none should exist.

I'd feel the same regardless of who owned/ran us tbh. Things like this shouldn't be in the national press, keep it all behind closed doors and sort whatever needs to be sorted privately. Could be Ashley, Shepherd or the Queen, don't give a shit - keep it private.

I can understand the argument, but if our players are being f***ed about my the management I have no problem with Barton putting that in the press and being honest.  I doubt he's sowing sedition where none should exist.

I'd feel the same regardless of who owned/ran us tbh. Things like this shouldn't be in the national press, keep it all behind closed doors and sort whatever needs to be sorted privately. Could be Ashley, Shepherd or the Queen, don't give a s*** - keep it private.

But if it's kept silent and quiet, the club'll do what it has in the past.  Do what it wants and spin PR towards everyone: press, fans, the lot.  They'll lie like they did with Keegan, give false promises like they did with level 7 seating. 

Personally, I don't feel the club will sort anything out privately.  They'll do what they think is best.  And their track record is pretty damned poor when it comes to making big decisions.

No, of course not.

But when the ship's being steered by blind drunkards, I'd rather it got messy so it could get better.

How is this going to help it get better though? Mike Ashley isn't going to sell NUFC to a benevolent saviour because Joey Barton has his knickers in a knot. 

I think certain people need to start facing up to the fact that what's going on at the top is very calculated these days, for the most part. It's nowhere near the impulsive nonsense we've seen from Ashley and company in the past. Seems to me like they're finally getting a firm hand on the business/media side of running NUFC and are committed (overly?) to doing things their way, while allowing people who "know football" to guide them on the other side of things (within their framework, of course).

No, of course not.

How is this going to help it get better though? Mike Ashley isn't going to sell NUFC to a benevolent saviour because Joey Barton has his knickers in a knot. 

Of course not.

But the general idea is that ever-growing fan resentment and pressure will eventually build and make his position unsustainable.

Maybre we're just stuck with him, though, and that won't work.  In which case, if we accept that and lie down, are we really fans of a club?  Or do we simply spectate as we would a series of Casualty unable to change or influence at all?

Maybe it really is the latter, but I think it's horrendously sad when the fans of an English Premier League club start to feel that.

I think certain people need to start facing up to the fact that what's going on at the top is very calculated these days, for the most part. It's nowhere near the impulsive nonsense we've seen from Ashley and company in the past. Seems to me like they're finally getting a firm hand on the business/media side of running NUFC and are committed (overly?) to doing things their way, while allowing people who "know football" to guide them on the other side of things (within their framework, of course).

I've been arguing this for ages, he seems to be learning from his (admittedly massive) mistakes and in the end those mistakes haven't ended up costing us that badly anyway.

Obviously there's always the worry he'll do something terrible at any moment, but there does at least seem to be some sort of policy where we're going to be prudent and not be taken for mugs by agents, players or other clubs.

This will lead to some good outcomes and some bad ones, at least judged by how football business has been done in the past.

I'd feel the same regardless of who owned/ran us tbh. Things like this shouldn't be in the national press, keep it all behind closed doors and sort whatever needs to be sorted privately. Could be Ashley, Shepherd or the Queen, don't give a s*** - keep it private.

But if it's kept silent and quiet, the club'll do what it has in the past.  Do what it wants and spin PR towards everyone: press, fans, the lot.  They'll lie like they did with Keegan, give false promises like they did with level 7 seating. 

Personally, I don't feel the club will sort anything out privately.  They'll do what they think is best.  And their track record is pretty damned poor when it comes to making big decisions.

Not disputing any of that. :thup:

They need to keep things in-house too and not go running to the press to try to spin things either. The less I read of NUFC in the press the better.

'Comment when you need to, not when you're asked to' should be the new motto. 

My 2 pennies worth: ridiculous from barton, he's one player who has really stepped upto the plate and been excellent this past season and his performances merited a contract extension, yet he's proved yet again what a liability he can be. As has been said before, senior players play an important roles in the progression of the club, speed and shearer being perfect examples in the past for nufc. Someone like barton could have been an even better example to players, a professional who acted professionally after seemingly conquering his demons and most importantly doing so whilst playing well on the pitch. Instead, with only one good season out of 4 where the club had backed him more than other clubs would have done (Marlon king at wigan) he's been more outspoken than he should be, for me he's overplayed his hand and will suffer because of it.

Nolan's demeanor + barton's ability = extended contract for a senior player.

know football and won't kick up a fuss at the other stuff. Agree though.

Aye, more-or-less. Was thinking more Carr than Pardew though. It seems to me like they've put the scouting system in place as a club, rather than just having it on the behest of the manager (as it has been in the past). Obviously Pards has input somewhere along the line, you'd think, but I'm not convinced it's too great when it comes to recruitment/negotiations.

Aye. No surprise a lot of the targets are ones we've been linked to previously. It's almost as though Carr is a DoF rather than a scout just not labelled so as so not to piss of the majority after the Wise shenanigans.

Aye. No surprise a lot of the targets are ones we've been linked to previously. It's almost as though Carr is a DoF rather than a scout just not labelled so as so not to piss of the majority after the Wise shenanigans.

He's definitely got more of a public profile/reputation than any other scout I've seen here and any I've noticed elsewhere (although naturally I don't really read the other local rags from around the country).

We do seem very heavily-reliant upon him, but he must know his stuff when it comes to judging a player. He was literally Man City's only full-time (only employed, actually, although I'm sure they would have had people helping out) scout before the big takeover happened, as mental as that seems, even through the Shinawatra time of Elano/Geovanni and others. Not quite sure why they got rid/he decided to go considering the finance that department now has.

Guess value for money isn't really an issue for City and judging by signings since the City's arab spring they seem to have been totally manager driven so maybe they've binned scouting aside from on a youth level because they can afford to make (lots of) mistakes. As daft as that idea would be.

With regard to your point Sewelly IMO we should be looking for regional link ups with clubs like Spurs have with Internacional etc. Can't do any harm for the relative low amount it would cost. E.g. Spurs would have paid for that many times over if they decided to sell Sandro this summer.

Guess value for money isn't really an issue for City and judging by signings since the City's arab spring they seem to have been totally manager driven so maybe they've binned scouting aside from on a youth level because they can afford to make (lots of) mistakes. As daft as that idea would be.

They haven't. Their scouting/support staff is quite possibly the best in the world these days. They've invested a fortune into sports science/analysis/scouting. It's all digital now, I believe, even down to the scouting, and they have their own servers and everything where stuff is kept (footage of games at all their levels/footage of targets). They are certainly the most advanced in England now, or at least on a par with Man Utd (who are a lot more old school/cloak and dagger about their set-up) in terms of the pure number of support staff they employ.

A lot of clubs still do the basic pen/paper scouting, where they'll go and watch and make notes during the game and it'll get passed to the manager and then binned if the move doesn't come off. I think City's do everything on software programs and feed it into a central database of information. They're pretty revolutionary on that front.

They haven't. Their scouting/support staff is quite possibly the best in the world these days. They've invested a fortune into sports science/analysis/scouting. It's all digital now, I believe, even down to the scouting, and they have their own servers and everything where stuff is kept (footage of games at all their levels/footage of targets). They are certainly the most advanced in England now, or at least on a par with Man Utd (who are a lot more old school/cloak and dagger about their set-up).

A lot of clubs still do the basic pen/paper scouting, where they'll go and watch and make notes during the game and it'll get passed to the manager and then binned if the move doesn't come off. I think City's do everything on software programs and feed it into a central database of information. They're pretty revolutionary on that front.

Seems like a massive waste really when they have a blank cheque book to simply buy ready-made stars..

They haven't. Their scouting/support staff is quite possibly the best in the world these days. They've invested a fortune into sports science/analysis/scouting. It's all digital now, I believe, even down to the scouting, and they have their own servers and everything where stuff is kept (footage of games at all their levels/footage of targets). They are certainly the most advanced in England now, or at least on a par with Man Utd (who are a lot more old school/cloak and dagger about their set-up).

:thup: didn't know that. You wouldn't know it judging by their signings like, maybe it will become more apparent when these new rules kick in.

They've got money to burn though, so they might as well I suppose.

Like Disco alluded to, it's main use will really be for targeting up-and-coming players as they know that the day will come when they need to start being self-sustained. It's more about just building up the overall knowledge base of world football, I think, and bringing it in-house so they don't need to rely on any external companies for stuff.

What they are doing could potentially change the way the whole scouting/analysis side of things works the world over if it proves to be a successful model. It's never really been done before anywhere else. Obviously it'll take other clubs (even clubs our size) a while to catch-up.