Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest johnson293

Those quotes are what he said on Sky yesterday afternoon, after the first round of tweets. It looked like he'd been spoken to by the club with the change of tone.

However, this mornings interview on Talksport (those above) doesn't do him many favours again.

Just doesn't seem to realise when to keep quiet.

He's going to leave and it's going to be a mess too.

He'll be fucking kicking and screaming about it. I predict carnage when the club tell him they have accepted an offer for him, from someone like West Ham.

Bearing in mind the acrimonious way he left City for us (and his insistence on pocketing his £300k 'loyalty' payment) I wouldn't be surprised if he dug his heels in and sees this new season out. IIRC the transfer would have broken down and we had to cough up the extra so City could pass it on to Barton.

Must admit I'm getting a bit sick of the situation now though.

The more I hear from him the more I'm thinking he's trying to make his position untenable, so the club snap and list him so he can blame them. He needs to stop this rent a gob stuff. It is a little refreshing at 1st, but hearing stuff like what ge said about England earlier this year was cringe worthy.

Guest bimpy474

When he goes I am expecting him to expose a few truths about the tyrants upstairs.

Same tyrants that didn't sack him after he got in a punch up and then went to prison ?

Guest WashyGeordie

When he goes I am expecting him to expose a few truths about the tyrants upstairs.

Same tyrants that didn't sack him after he got in a punch up and then went to prison ?

:bluestar:

Didn't he realise he was never going to get a pay rise? I would have though the negotiations would be about the size of the pay cut.

He agreed to a pay cut.  The problem is the length of the contract.

Fair enough, the headline talks about not getting a pay rise... on closer inspection the quotes don't even mention it.

Barton said he attempted to broker a new deal earlier this year "but I got a call saying there would be no negotiation. I was told they weren’t going to offer even 1p a week more. I was a bit taken aback. but that’s football. I believe in my ability and if Newcastle don’t think I’ll play past 29 then more fool them and I’ll go and ply my trade elsewhere."

On even closer inspection they do mention it!

My brain doesn't seem to be working today.

FWIW that shouldn't be read as they wouldn't offer 1p more than what he's already on, but that they wouldn't offer 1p more than their previous new contract offer.

Yes because they didn't sack him out of the goodness of their hearts. For once they let their mask of contempt for players and supporters alike slip and their true compassionate nature shone through.  :cheesy:

They stopped his wages and threatened to sack him if he didn't sign a reduced contract. You may say they were morally in the right to do so, but obviously legally they didn't have a leg to stand on as no new contract was signed and they backed down from their threats. The decision to not sack Barton was purely a financial one to not let a £6m asset go for free on the club's behalf, and nothing he should be grateful to them for.

"At 28, it's an important contract for me. My partner is pregnant with our first child and I said I need a bit of stability and to stay in the area for four or five years.

"You don't want to uproot your kids at that young age, and I was after that. Money was never an issue, I wanted to stay, but we never reached a compromise.

"I didn't actually go to the talks but I got a call saying there would be no negotiation. I was told they weren't going to offer even 1p a week more. I was a bit taken aback. But that's football.

And the fact that he doesn't evene want to participate in his own contract negotiations is kind of wierd to me tbh?

As per usual I think it's safe to say that we can't really trust either side, here. Both are going to desecrate the other. Barton talks too much for my liking. Some may call it refreshing, I just find it annoying as hell. Constant rocking of the boat and consequently covering of his own ass. For someone that seems to 'talk a lot of sense' he sure does contradict and backtrack a lot.

Guest Loven11

SkyBet Sky Bet

We've seen money for Joey Barton to join Arsenal and have consequently cut his price to 5/6.

I knaa it means fuck all but I don't think this will happen like, I'd be surprised if they wanted him.

SkyBet Sky Bet

We've seen money for Joey Barton to join Arsenal and have consequently cut his price to 5/6.

I knaa it means fuck all but I don't think this will happen like, I'd be surprised if they wanted him.

Already dropped to 1/2  :undecided:

SkyBet Sky Bet

Not 2/1?

Guest schmuck

"At 28, it's an important contract for me. My partner is pregnant with our first child and I said I need a bit of stability and to stay in the area for four or five years.

"You don't want to uproot your kids at that young age, and I was after that. Money was never an issue, I wanted to stay, but we never reached a compromise.

"I didn't actually go to the talks but I got a call saying there would be no negotiation. I was told they weren't going to offer even 1p a week more. I was a bit taken aback. But that's football.

And the fact that he doesn't evene want to participate in his own contract negotiations is kind of wierd to me tbh?

I can't listen back to the interview, but does he actually say the word 'more' in that context?. My memory of it was the implication that they wouldn't pay him a penny more after his current deal expired, ie they weren't going to offer him a contract.

Arsenal would be a mad one, isn't he more or less universally hated there?

SkyBet Sky Bet

I knaa it means f*** all but I don't think this will happen like, I'd be surprised if they wanted him.

Not 2/1?

No 1/2, as in worse odds than 5/6