Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'd say he's on at least £60k. Last of the Shepherd contracts and all that.

Barton was signed under Ashley in as much as he had to agree to the transfer.

You were implying that a hand shake should be enough in the Nolan thread ( a player you hated btw) and now you are using a technicality to make Barton's wage an Ashley deal when you know fine well it was a Shepherd one in all but name. At least show some consistency if you want to use the moral standpoint Mick.

I fail to see how they are mutually exclusive tbh.

Makes me think that in those first few months Ashley was like a kid in a sweet shop.

"What? Geremi wants 60k a week? Yeah ok whatever, let's get down Blu Bamboo for a party!"

To be fair, for every Smith, Geremi & Barton that came in, a Dyer, Parker or Babayaro left.

Guest BooBoo

Still to think he was offering big money for "over the hill"'players like Faye, Beye and Geremi.

Polar opposite to what he operates on now.

Still to think he was offering big money for "over the hill"'players like Faye, Beye and Geremi.

Polar opposite to what he operates on now.

Funnily enough, didn't we get back what we paid for the first two and make a profit on Geremi, transfer fee wise?

I'd say he's on at least £60k. Last of the Shepherd contracts and all that.

You were implying that a hand shake should be enough in the Nolan thread ( a player you hated btw) and now you are using a technicality to make Barton's wage an Ashley deal when you know fine well it was a Shepherd one in all but name. At least show some consistency if you want to use the moral standpoint Mick.

I fail to see how they are mutually exclusive tbh.

Isn't that what I said?

Guest BooBoo

Pilko- true. If Ashley has any strengths, getting good prices for outgoing transfers (Given, excepted) is probably top of a very short list.

I wasn't a fan of Nolan and I'm not trying to make out that I am or have been, I think the way the club have handled his contract is shocking.  Can I not take that stance?

As for the Barton signing, Mort and Ashley had to agree to it and that's a fact.

I wasn't a fan of Nolan and I'm not trying to make out that I am or have been, I think the way the club have handled his contract is shocking.  Can I not take that stance?

As for the Barton signing, Mort and Ashley had to agree to it and that's a fact.

Why do you want to use a verbal agreement to vilify Ashley when it comes to not handing out daft contracts to fatcat players, then slate the same regime for doing the same earlier on a technicality? Where are you coming from? 

Why do you want to use a verbal agreement to vilify Ashley when it comes to not handing out daft contracts to fatcat players, then slate the same regime for doing the same earlier on a technicality? Where are you coming from? 

I didn't slate them for handing out contracts to fatcat players.  Care to point out where I did that?

Whether you agree or not with what Barton has said tonight, it kind of cements what we already knew in terms of how the club is being operated and that there are problems behind the scenes (in the dressing room) I'm now very worried about next season and believe that at present, we are already facing another relegation battle. If Routledge signs for Swansea that means Ashley will have raked in nigh on £50million in transfer fees (incomings and outgoings) during his tenure and that is simply mind-boggling for a PL club to be ran in such a way. Perhaps this cash surplus is being kept to one side in case we go down?

Been chatting to an old mate of my dad's, tonight and this coming season will be the first he has missed in nearly 40 years. He refuses to set foot again in St James until Ashley and Llambias are gone. He won't be alone in doing that I'm sure.

Whether you agree or not with what Barton has said tonight, it kind of cements what we already knew in terms of how the club is being operated and that there are problems behind the scenes (in the dressing room) I'm now very worried about next season and believe that at present, we are already facing another relegation battle. If Routledge signs for Swansea that means Ashley will have raked in nigh on £50million in transfer fees (incomings and outgoings) during his tenure and that is simply mind-boggling for a PL club to be ran in such a way. Perhaps this cash surplus is being kept to one side in case we go down?

Been chatting to an old mate of my dad's, tonight and this coming season will be the first he has missed in nearly 40 years. He refuses to set foot again in St James until Ashley and Llambias are gone. He won't be alone in doing that I'm sure.

Except Ashley hasn't "raked in" anything, he's been subsidising out losses out of his own pocket.

Except Ashley hasn't "raked in" anything, he's been subsidising out losses out of his own pocket.

At least he didn't say "trousered".

I didn't slate them for handing out contracts to fatcat players.  Care to point out where I did that?

Right here:

Losses due to his own stupidity which he now seems intent on making the club pay for. Christ help us if we go down again because fans will desert the club en masse. I know that has been said before, but many have already rapped in and I suspect plenty others are on the brink. It's support that the club may never claim back in the future, even under a new regime.

Guest BooBoo

Big Geordie's right about one thing- as it stands we're primed for a relegation battle:

- Limited up front with only one prove striker.

- Bare bones in defence, likely to be further reduced by Enrique departure.

- More than a few suggestions that the dressing room is unhappy.

- Heart of the dressing room has been sold.

- Pardew on thin ice with fans after a summer of frustration in terms of incoming players.

- Gambling on foreign imports who we have no idea whether they will take to the PL.

- Team has no natural leaders.

- Fans fed up with Ashley and co continually bullshitting all and sundry.

I'm not a negative supporter and neither am I hysterical but I genuinely believe that if we start the season poorly, then we'll be in the bottom 6 all season. Yes there's clubs with worse squads than ours, but the problems behind the scenes are rearing their heads and as showed in 08/09 they can be fatal if not quickly addressed.

Barton was never just going to get on with it, once he didn't get the contract he wanted.

His claims that he would run down his contract, and wouldn't agree to a move, were cleary antagonistic.

His aim is to be as much of a nuisance as possible, and damn the consequences. Very, very selfish person.

He's then attempting to pass this off as him being some sort of martyr for the fans.

Pitiful.

You come out with some shite like mate  :lol: Trying to be a martyr? Could it be that he is simply voicing his opinion? Barton doesn't strike me as the type of person that works with hidden agendas.

As for all the "Barton should shut up and get on with job" comments, I'm certain he'll continue to give 100% on the pitch. What more can he do?

Big Geordie's right about one thing- as it stands we're primed for a relegation battle:

- Pardew on thin ice with fans after a summer of frustration in terms of incoming players.

- Gambling on foreign imports who we have no idea whether they will take to the PL.

I'm not a negative supporter and neither am I hysterical but I genuinely believe that if we start the season poorly, then we'll be in the bottom 6 all season. Yes there's clubs with worse squads than ours, but the problems behind the scenes are rearing their heads and as showed in 08/09 they can be fatal if not quickly addressed.

Agree with this and when we were relegated last time, it wasn't because of the lack of talent in the squad but because of what was going on behind the scenes and poor morale and a lack of leadership within the team.

Right here:

That's me slating them is it?  :lol:

Guest BooBoo

Yup, the shocking managerial situation in 08/09 absolutely crippled the players confidence. We went down with a squad that if properly motivated and managed could have probably squeezed a top half finish.

No offence to you personally Otter, but these kinds of posts are really annoying. All the negative aspects of the situation blown out of proportion and the positives not mentioned.

Joey's tweets - admittedly I do like some of them when they're not related to NUFC's internal matters, but it does come to a point when you can't keep tweeting the stuff he's been saying.

The club should introduce some sort of "Twitter usage guidelines" or simply ban it imo.

Christ help us if we go down again because fans will desert the club en masse. I know that has been said before, but many have already rapped in and I suspect plenty others are on the brink. It's support that the club may never claim back in the future, even under a new regime.

Regardless of everything else, if this is the case - fuck them.

Guest hobshobs

Barton was never just going to get on with it, once he didn't get the contract he wanted.

His claims that he would run down his contract, and wouldn't agree to a move, were cleary antagonistic.

His aim is to be as much of a nuisance as possible, and damn the consequences. Very, very selfish person.

He's then attempting to pass this off as him being some sort of martyr for the fans.

Pitiful.

You come out with some s**** like mate  :lol: Trying to be a martyr? Could it be that he is simply voicing his opinion? Barton doesn't strike me as the type of person that works with hidden agendas.

As for all the "Barton should shut up and get on with job" comments, I'm certain he'll continue to give 100% on the pitch. What more can he do?

If you were Erdinc thinking about signing on, then hearing Barton and Enrique mouthing off, you'd think twice about what would appear to be an unhappy ship. They've both been well enough paid since they arrived. They both could have done a lot more to prevent us getting relegated. Just shut up and get on with it.