Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Joey: ‘Ayatollah Ashley is a cretin’ By PAUL JIGGINS

Published: Today

Add a comment  (7) JOEY BARTON has fired another blast at Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, branding him 'a cretin' and 'an Ayatollah'.

The controversial star claims he was forced out of the Toon in a row over bonuses.

And while he bears no ill-will to boss Alan Pardew, he cannot say the same about owner Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias.

Barton, now at QPR, said: "The manager was different class but I wouldn't want to go back and work for those two cretins.

"Ashley is the Ayatollah. Nothing happens without his say."

Barton says Ashley axed him, four other players and former boss Chris Hughton because they would not agree to defer bonuses.

He also revealed he was NOT paid by Toon during his prison stay in 2008.

And during that 77-day stretch, club official Dennis Wise threatened him with the sack unless he took an 80 PER CENT pay cut.

Barton added: "No decision was made without Mike's knowledge and he must have signed off on it."

Barton: Inside Toon madhouse By PAUL JIGGINS

Published: Today

Add a comment  (6) JOEY BARTON claims Newcastle issued him with an ultimatum while he was behind bars: Take an 80 PER CENT pay cut or we'll sack you.

The controversial star says that, contrary to popular belief, Toon owner Mike Ashley did NOT pay his wages during his 77-day prison stay in 2008.

And he alleges that while he was holed up in Liverpool's Walton prison, Ashley's former executive director Dennis Wise threatened him with the sack if he did not sign a new deal that would have cut his wages by 80 per cent.

Barton joined QPR in August after being given a free by the Geordies.

The midfielder reckons he, four other senior players and ex-boss Chris Hughton were axed by Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias in a row over bonuses. And in a bombshell interview he lifted the lid on his time at the Toon in a bid to answer his critics who say he should have shown more loyalty to the Tyneside giants.

Barton was jailed for attacking a man outside a restaurant in Liverpool. The attack happened when he was on bail for two previous offences.

Barton said: "A lot of people say to me, 'Oh yeah, but Newcastle paid your wages when I was in jail' — but they never did. Not that I wanted to be, but I was not paid.

"I was also given a contract from Dennis Wise saying if I didn't sign a renegotiated deal on a lot less money then they would sack me.

"That had come from Mike Ashley who obviously controls the club. So they'd basically given me an ultimatum that if I didn't sign this contract on a fifth of the money I was on, they were going to sack me.

"I was sitting in a jail cell at the time, so I had no real power. I had to either do it or not do it.

"As principled as I am, I said to my agent at the time, I'm not signing, f*** them. I'll let them sack me. That was nothing against the football club, I was being railroaded into doing something I didn't want to do.

"My agent got a copy of the contract from Wise and took it to his solicitor in London who put it in a safe. Legally, Newcastle were bound to either sack me or keep me on the contract I was on.

"They couldn't renegotiate a similar length of deal with lower money. Once he'd phoned them up and told them about the FA's rules and regulations they couldn't then sack me."

Barton was offloaded by the Toon after failing to seal a new deal. He told QPR podcast Open All Rs: "They tried to f*** me when I was at a low time, yet they were demanding loyalty from me three years down the line when I was playing well.

"And I was saying hang on a minute, there has to be some balance here. You can't be the way you've been with me. Derek was saying, 'That wasn't me, that was Dennis Wise, that was this, that was that'.

"But, at the end of the day, at that football club Mike Ashley is the Ayatollah. Nothing happens without his say so."

Barton believes Ashley axed him, Hughton plus team-mates Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, Steve Harper and Alan Smith because they dared to stand up to him in a dispute over bonuses.

Barton said: "As a playing squad last year, Newcastle were the only club in Premier League history not to sign a bonus sheet.

"We refused as a playing staff because they tried to railroad the players into signing a bonus sheet. It fundamentally cost Chris Hughton his job, in my opinion, because he couldn't get us to sign.

"Mike Ashley said Hughton had no control over the players and needed to go.

"They thought we were Sports Direct and we should do what the subordinates at Sports Direct do, forgetting that you're dealing with 20-odd egos and probably 10 self-sufficient men who were in a position to make a number of different judgments.

"Myself, Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Steve Harper and Andy Carroll advised the playing staff, because we were head of the bonus committee, not to sign the sheet.

"That filtered back to boardroom level. It's no coincidence that I got sold — or rather I got given away. Andy Carroll was sold, Kevin Nolan was sold and Alan Smith has been told he's training with the reserves for the rest of his days. So, for me, it's all about power and control.

"They're running the football club and it's going really well at the minute but I think that's more a testament to the players, the fans and also to the manager."

Barton has become one of the sport's top tweeters — and will continue to use his Twitter account to get his views across.

He said: "I've been able to smash down any pre-conceived ideas people had about me. Everyone thought I was this Neanderthal, caveman type that just rolled out of nightclubs beating people up.

"And there was an element of my character that conformed to that. But also there were a lot of different layers below that."

Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much.

I do wonder what his new team-mates feel when their captain is constantly going on about how badly he was treated at his old club.

:thup: Can't see him making many friends when he's still hooked on old battles with the club he "never wanted to leave". I think he's a dick and I'm a fan of the club he didn't want to leave, dread to think what those associated with QPR are beginning to think. He's pretty much become a parody of himself.

I doubt anyone at QPR will give two hoots, he did an interview and answered questions, the press have just used the pieces that will gain most interest or debate. I think a lot of people are annoyed because as usual they've been proven wrong when yet again backing the tits at the top.

I'm pleased he wasn't paid when he was in jail and I'm not all all surprised with how they tried to manufacture the situation both when he was in jail and latterly when he was playing well, it's typical of the miscreants.

He's gone, they're still here, we're doing well so we'll just pretend he's boring while following his every tweet and discussing him at every opportunity  :idiot2:

remember aswell that those bonuses would be outside their normal negotiated wage structure, so in joey's case that would have been on top of his 50 or 60k. now i quite like the bonus as an incentive idea, the folklore goes that when we came up with keegan as manager the players were on low basics with high bonuses as an incentive. as time goes on the wages get higher as players would prefer the high basic so the get the cash rtegardless of how well/poorly they do.

i'm particularlt tickled by his "smashing down of any pre conceived ideas about him", really joey ? i thguht you took on ian montane to help change your image....... IMAGE, thats all it is an IMAGE.

Great timing from him again - not, especially with the shocking news regarding Gary Speed.

We should most definately move on and not give him the attention he is seeking.

So now it's his fault the newspapers pick up on his interview and print it after the awful news about Gary Speed.

Just put the internet down son for crying out loud, you definitely don't deserve any attention.

Looking at that Barton interview I am slightly confused about the bonus sheet point. The club was trying to get the players to sign up to a scheme whereby the players get bonuses which are presumably based on performance. According to Barton every other Premier club in history has such a scheme, yet our players "bonus committee" advised the rest of the squad not to sign it. If it is extra money being made available to the players why not sign up to it? I must have missed something here because I don't get it.

Shame about that "bonus committee" being shunted out. Of course Smith's exclusion can't have anything to do with his ability and there can't be any other reason why any of the other players have moved on can there?  :lol:

Still, good news Smith is training with the reserves. Hopefully we won't see him for the rest of his contract.

Not true though, he's been in loads of the training pics this year, been on the bench a few times and even got on against Fulham!

Just pretend he isn't there/call him a t*** and ignore the actions of the arseholes that run this football club.

Fighting talk Colocho - sounds like you are ready to launch a protest. Bring back Harper, Nolan, Barton, Carroll and let Smithy get some some proper time on the pitch.

Great timing from him again - not, especially with the shocking news regarding Gary Speed.

We should most definately move on and not give him the attention he is seeking.

So now it's his fault the newspapers pick up on his interview and print it after the awful news about Gary Speed.

Just put the internet down son for crying out loud, you definitely don't deserve any attention.

?

Just pretend he isn't there/call him a t*** and ignore the actions of the arseholes that run this football club.

Fighting talk Colocho - sounds like you are ready to launch a protest. Bring back Harper, Nolan, Barton, Carroll and let Smithy get some some proper time on the pitch.

Fuck off.

Fuck off.

:lol:

I love the 'yeah go on ignore the board' bollocks, I have certainly slagged them off when they have dropped a bollock. Maybe some people are capable of judging each case separately rather than being either pro or anti the board? :dontknow: