Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Drop his basic wages so they fit with the structure, and add performance based bonuses so he could make the same as he does now if he performs consistently.

I don't think he would drop his wages out of love for the club, especially the way he is performing these days, and I can't really blame him for that. This could be a good middle ground for player and club.

He's an essential player and offering him vastly reduced wages will just drive him away. If it's a sensible drop then hopefully he'll accept, given that for a lot of the time he's been on big money he's been injured or underperforming.

If he doesn't accept it he will be gone in the summer. Guarentee

Its a smart move by the morons up top. They will have offered him a contract that is at least half what he gets now, then when he turns it down they at least look like they have tried to keep a player they have wanted to offload almost since they got here.

Whilst I can't see him accepting the kind of wage cut we will demand, I dont see alot of clubs paying him too much more than we will. I think he is pretty settled, despite my earlier negativity I would hope we can find some middle ground. He is our most influential player right now.

Tbh i think Barton owes us to sign a new contract with a smaller wage. He has been fantastic this season but the previous seasons he hasn't.

Dont know if he'll do it though, but i hope so :)

We'll be lucky to keep him on the same pay.

I don't think there'll be a queue of clubs ready to offer much more. You might get the odd desperate club like Birmingham or Blackburn but the well run ones aren't throwing money around unless they are in Europe.

We'll be lucky to keep him on the same pay.

I don't think there'll be a queue of clubs ready to offer much more. You might get the odd desperate club like Birmingham or Blackburn but the well run ones aren't throwing money around unless they are in Europe.

However good a player he is (and he is very good) there is also the "baggage", no one would ever bet on that having been banished forever. He really would not be a risk free investment which has to reduce his value. Right now to us he's priceless, the chances of us finding someone that we could afford with his ability are at best slim.  But for another club he's damaged goods.