Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

The dithering on the ball bit would be fair enough if we were on the break, but in standard play I'd much rather he waited to make the right forward pass than play it back or play it first time to the opposition/the touchline ala Butt and Nolan.

He's looked quick footed when ive seen him in the middle this season. His goal v leicester he went past a player, did the same when he hit one off the post v Reading i think. Saw him make a couple of quick turns there today and keep the ball.

I think he'd do much better when he can turn either way, on the wing you can only turn inside. If you want to go down the wing you need pace, its different to being a central midfielder.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

I like Guthrie a lot, in a dream world, him Collison and someone else for next season please.

For me, in a dream world him with Barton in CM and two really good wingers to complete a perfect midfield.

Who are the two wingers like, Messi and Ronaldo?

Skilful but not very strong. Tends to dither on the ball.

Spot on Bob. It is one of the reasons I think he would get clattered to bits in the middle.

Except that that's his natural position and he was one of the best players in the league the last time he was here.

Nah his natural position is on the right that is why various & there have been a stack of them managers have played him out there.  CM is his favorite position but then Beckham said that as well.

Nah his natural position is on the right that is why various & there have been a stack of them managers have played him out there.  CM is his favorite position but then Beckham said that as well.

His natural position isn't on the right, he spends more time away from the right than he does on it.  If it was his natural position he wouldn't spend so much time away from it.

That would improve with  prolonged spell in the middle of the midfield.

That's unlikely as we've had the perfect opportunity to play him in the middle when Simth was injured and we brought in Nicky Butt.

I think he's a hell of a player and I hope we don't ruin him.

a hell of a player??  i'd say he's a steady average player,  when i think of "hell of a player" type i'm thinking of Messi, Xavi, Kaka, Gerrard etc.  Sorry but Guthrie is not a hell of a player.

When he "dithers" on the ball, to me it looks like he's looking for someone to make a run, but as that never fucking happens, he ends up in trouble instead. He's suffering cause he's actually got a footballing brain.