Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whilst it's never going to happen with Hughton in charge it would be interesting to see what we could do to a weak team at home with a front six of:

Routledge Barton Guthrie Jonas

Ranger Lovenkrands

This whole idea that you MUST play a holding or defensive midfielder in every game is a complete fallacy perpetuated by defensive minded coaches/ managers.

Whilst it's never going to happen with Hughton in charge it would be interesting to see what we could do to a weak team at home with a front six of:

Routledge                    Barton                Guthrie              Jonas

Ranger                  Lovenkrands

This whole idea that you MUST play a holding or defensive midfielder in every game is a complete fallacy perpetuated by defensive minded coaches/ managers.

:thup:

We'd murder most, if not every team in this league if we lined up like that.  I'm not saying that we would win every game, I'm saying that we could win against anybody in this league.

Absolutely spot on.

not the same player who shone at old trafford under keegan. looks like a mentally weak person who needs strong leadership and guidance to shine. still, i'd like to see him put in the middle for a run of games to see how he does. atm i'd even pair him with Butt than see another Smith-Nolan comedy duo.

He does seem to have games where he looks lethargic and defeatist and you can't put it all down to being played out of position. There were loads of times today when he had the ball in the middle but got harried into losing possession by a hungrier opponent. He could be our best central midfielder except he seems to be a bit of a loser.

He basically needs a manager who'll light a fire under him and tell him "get out there and impose yourself on the game, stop half-arsing it", as johnny said.

One that'll play him in central midfield as well, obviously.

Guest firetotheworks

He seems to have lost that neatness to his game that I originally really admired about him, but his delivery is still generally top notch.

Thought he was crap today,  yes you can give him the excuse that he was out of position on the left but then again he ignored the fact he was meant to be playing left midfield and just played infield, messing up our shape.  Even when Smith &Nolan went off and he played in the middle of a 4 man midfield he seemed slow and ponderous, got caught on the ball time and time again.

If he wants a place in the centre of the midfield and displace Smith & Nolan then he needs to buck his ideas up, get fitter and start imposing himself more.

In saying all that i'd still say he's had  decent season but needs to improve still if he wants to get a game following the new signings.

Looks unhappy to me. If he played in his right position and under a decent manager, he'd be at his best.

I'm fed up of people making excuses for him to be honest. If he loses 50-50 challenges and gives up the ball in any part of the pitch on a regular basis it's his fault. These are just basics of being a decent footballer. Maybe we are starting to see why Liverpool didn't want him.

He's still the best midfielder we have IMO.

And howay man :lol: We're hardly in Liverpool's league of players atm.

goes to show how s**** our midfielders are then.....the lad is an abomination of a footballer totally and utterly s****

That's a tad kneejerk like.

Until a few games ago, he was doing extremely well for someone being played out of position. He's just had a few woeful games since.

It doesn't matter if you're the best or worst midfielder at the club, if you lose 50/50 challenges and keep conceding possession you are hardly advertising your credentials to play central midfield where the action is usually the hardest contested.

It doesn't matter if you're the best or worst midfielder at the club, if you lose 50/50 challenges and keep conceding possession you are hardly advertising your credentials to play central midfield where the action is usually the hardest contested.

Aye because Nolan and Smith are outdoing him in that department like :thup:

What's that got to do with him losing 50/50's or keeping possession?

Nothing, but you're suggesting that he shouldn't play in CM because of that, when he still keeps possession and wins 50/50s more than the other CMs played ahead of him.

He should be an automatic starter there.

Nothing, but you're suggesting that he shouldn't play in CM because of that, when he still keeps possession and wins 50/50s more than the other CMs played ahead of him.

No, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play in central midfield, I'm just saying that his crap performance today shouldn't be excused because he wasn't playing there. Fucking hell, if Pancrate can put in a shift at right back is it too much to ask Guthrie to bust a gut in midfield?

No, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play in central midfield, I'm just saying that his crap performance today shouldn't be excused because he wasn't playing there. f***ing hell, if Pancrate can put in a shift at right back is it too much to ask Guthrie to bust a gut in midfield?

If you care to think back to before the last couple of games, you'd see that he was.

Get rid of the lot in the summer. smith, butt, nolan, guthrie, barton, none of them will be a loss if we can replace them. ideal world though.

Dyer on a  free, Ambrose on the cheap, CNZ for £8 million, Viana on the cheap & Solano will be out of contract in the summer.

Guest firetotheworks

Looks unhappy to me. If he played in his right position and under a decent manager, he'd be at his best.

I'm fed up of people making excuses for him to be honest. If he loses 50-50 challenges and gives up the ball in any part of the pitch on a regular basis it's his fault. These are just basics of being a decent footballer. Maybe we are starting to see why Liverpool didn't want him.

I found that funny. I take your point elsewhere, but that one is probably something to do with Gerrard, Alonso and co being undoubtedly better players than him.