Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

could be a great player, but isn´t. should still play while Tioté is out and gosling is getting in to shape. he has this "aura" of calmness that I like, that he is good to keep the ball within the team, and that is a huge asset.

I thought the game swag in our favour when he came on, for the anti-footballer.  He can pick a pass and I think he's a half decent tackler (or perhaps that's just compared to Alan 'if you're not sliding it's not a tackle' Smith).  I feel he's far too harshly criticised on here, mind I'm every bit as bad as with Smith, I really don't rate Smith, is that coming over, because I can't stress that opinion enough, those 18 months can't pass soon enough.

He's technically good, I have said that all along. It's just his strength and stamina is woeful.

You could probably argue he's not up to it mentally either, maybe being stuck on the bench this season after being the mainstay of the midfield last year has affected his confidence badly.

Question:

Why can't Guthrie and Smith put that kind of performance in most games??!

How about the fact that Guthrie has been played out on right wing for majority of  games in last 18 months,which even Stevie Wonder would realise is crazy.  He's been screwed over for a long time played wide right.  Play Barton on LW and see how he copes.

He doesn't lack a heart, he lacks fitness and phsyicality.

I agree, maybe he needs a different way of training to give his stamina a boost.

heard that Pardew had some new interesting methods

could be a great player, but isn´t. should still play while Tioté is out and gosling is getting in to shape. he has this "aura" of calmness that I like, that he is good to keep the ball within the team, and that is a huge asset.

You're worse than Ethi.

Question:

How about the fact that Guthrie has been played out on right wing for majority of  games in last 18 months,which even Stevie Wonder would realise is crazy.  He's been screwed over for a long time played wide right.  Play Barton on LW and see how he copes.

Would be interesting to see how many assists he got from the right last season, bet it was quite a few tbh.

None of that accounts for his appauling stamina levels though.

Question:

How about the fact that Guthrie has been played out on right wing for majority of  games in last 18 months,which even Stevie Wonder would realise is crazy.  He's been screwed over for a long time played wide right.  Play Barton on LW and see how he copes.

Would be interesting to see how many assists he got from the right last season, bet it was quite a few tbh.

was in the double figures IIRC.

Question:

championship, premiership, chalk, cheese. out of position is the key.  Nolan never gets put out there on RW and yes, I accept the stamina and lightweight questions, but Nolan aint great in that dept either.

Guest neesy111

He played the 2nd half of last season in CM when Routledge signed.  As I've said as well, his performances when out of position should how limited he is as a footballer.  None of us thought of Barton as RW at start of season, now I can't think of too many players I would want ahead of him for us to sign.

He played the 2nd half of last season in CM when Routledge signed.  As I've said as well, his performances when out of position should how limited he is as a footballer.  None of us thought of Barton as RW at start of season, now I can't think of too many players I would want ahead of him for us to sign.

He aint BARTON!  He may be limited but so are plenty of other when played out of position.  I'll leave it at that, it's like shitting into the Wear this debate.

Guest neesy111

The fact is though this is 1 good performance on a back drop of some shocking performances this season.  He's played in CM far more this season the RM.  Still don't think he's good enough for premiership.

Question:

championship, premiership, chalk, cheese. out of position is the key.  Nolan never gets put out there on RW and yes, I accept the stamina and lightweight questions, but Nolan aint great in that dept either.

That's because Nolan is vital for us in the centre of midfield. He is currently the first name in the centre along with Tiote.

Question:

That's because Nolan is vital for us in the centre of midfield. He is currently the first name in the centre along with Tiote.

Question:

Doesnt make it right that Managers have thought it was ok to play Guthrie on the right. As I said piss, wind....

He's had a couple of stinkers this season but did very well today.

Seems to be the one who gets most stick on here nowadays but overall he's nowhere near as bad as some say and generally since he came to the club his contribution has been positive.

He's had a couple of stinkers this season but did very well today.

Seems to be the one who gets most stick on here nowadays but overall he's nowhere near as bad as some say and generally since he came to the club his contribution has been positive.

Well said. Some on here need to look at themselves full stop. Like those that hoped Smith had broken his leg today.