Chris Hughton

Keefaz

UV must be pleasantly surprised that we are 4 points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand considering he was fearing possible relegation from this division. Life sometimes has a brighter side after all  :indi:

I certainly am pleased and surprised. We've done better than I could have hoped for (especially defensively). Thankfully we've been lucky with a lack of injuries (again, especially defensively), and the lack of clinical finishing in this division has made a bigger difference than I would have expected.

I'd like a link to where I thought we were going to be relegated again like, must have been pissed when I posted that. I just remember being pessimistic about promotion due to lack of squad depth.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?action=post;quote=1862905;topic=61053.3420;num_replies=3801;sesc=64d0d112345f381d2ad15cd8cdda9490

There are 2 options for the coming season as I see it, whoever the owner is :

1) Maintain the majority of the current squad and hope that though they are inadequate for the PL they are still good enough to do well in the Championship. This gives some chance of promotion (50/50 maybe), but is high risk financially as it's costly not only next season, but for several seasons after if we don't get promoted.

2) Decimate the squad and replace with cheaper players. Will still be an expensive season (with the paying up of contracts, loyalty bonuses, paying part of loanee's wages, etc) and will have absolutely no chance of promotion (the disruption could easily be so severe we might see another relegation, I think it would be touch and go). This is high risk for the success of the club, but lower financial risk.

that was a possibility in pre-season tbh, the clear-out couldve been more severe, the instability from the boardroom couldve had a bigger effect, we didnt know how Hughton would cope, if Ashley was going to go and get another Kinnear, if we'd have a financial crisis, if we'd sell in January and so on.

for me im not counting my chickens about promotion. while everything looks rosy atm the margins of success are quite slim, ie top two would be a success while finishing third and not winning the play-offs would be catastrophic for the club. so while we're top of the league, great etc, we're also 9 points from catastrophe. it doesnt leave much room for mistakes or problems, so we need to win while we've got players free and in form, ie tonight.

that was a possibility in pre-season tbh, the clear-out couldve been more severe, the instability from the boardroom couldve had a bigger effect, we didnt know how Hughton would cope, if Ashley was going to go and get another Kinnear, if we'd have a financial crisis, if we'd sell in January and so on.

for me im not counting my chickens about promotion. while everything looks rosy atm the margins of success are quite slim, ie top two would be a success while finishing third and not winning the play-offs would be catastrophic for the club. so while we're top of the league, great etc, we're also 9 points from catastrophe. it doesnt leave much room for mistakes or problems, so we need to win while we've got players free and in form, ie tonight.

I don't disagree with that but a bit of balance doesn't do any harm. If we are going to throw brickbats when things are going wrong, a bit of credit when things are going right is probably fair. Some posters only pipe up during the bad times and it's strange.

I don't disagree with that but a bit of balance doesn't do any harm. If we are going to throw brickbats when things are going wrong, a bit of credit when things are going right is probably fair. Some posters only pipe up during the bad times and it's strange.

I agree that hughton needs credit, he's done better than i imagined. though the degree of credit he deserves im not sure about. we've never played that well, though we seem to a bit more cohesive recently, and i suspect we're top of the league due to the players at our disposal not because of his managerial ability. Overstating the credit he deserves could imo be problematic because we'll inevitably need to be ruthless about bringing in a better manager at some stage.

Very well put mate. Thanks for raising my nervousness levels for tonight too :lol:

Very well put mate. Thanks for raising my nervousness levels for tonight too :lol:

any time  :laugh:

I agree that hughton needs credit, he's done better than i imagined. though the degree of credit he deserves im not sure about. we've never played that well, though we seem to a bit more cohesive recently, and i suspect we're top of the league due to the players at our disposal not because of his managerial ability. Overstating the credit he deserves could imo be problematic because we'll inevitably need to be ruthless about bringing in a better manager at some stage.

I don't think we need to overdo the praise for Hughton specifically, just pointing out that some posters only want to concentrate on the negative aspects without enjoying any of the good times on here.

Does well to give Ranger a chance, take it for granted now really but many wouldnt have.

Even the Butt decision turned out alright, though we'd probably do better with Guthrie. Cant argue with 7 wins in a row at any level, to be that consistant is very very good.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/exclusive-chris-hughton-on-chris-wood-eddie-howe-saudi-takeover-and-his-love-for-nufc-fans-3525198

In an exclusive interview with Newcastle World, he said: “It’s a difficult time in the league at the moment but it’s so nice to see Eddie Howe receiving such spirited support. I’d expect nothing less from them because they are a wonderful set of supporters.

“Eddie is getting encouragement, and I can sense the excitement caused by the takeover.

“They want to dream about what could lie ahead, but I think they are also being realistic about the fact they know they have to win enough games to stay in the Premier League.

“That is their immediate concern and focus, and it will be a battle, but they have a big part to play as a group of supporters and I know they will continue to get behind the players.”

“Eddie, for where Newcastle are in the table, is an ideal manager,” he explained.

“He’s been there, he managed what was in Premier League terms, a smaller club in Bournemouth that had to battle to survive. He’s used to that fight at the bottom end of the table.

“We still talk of him as a young manager, but he’s not, he has experience, he’s been a manager for well over ten years now.

“He has intelligence and class about him, he likes to play a certain way and he can get Newcastle to where they need to be this season and I hope he can take them to be where they want to be in the future.”

Hughton said: “Chris was younger when we signed him on loan, but he had such ability and I loved his character.

“He was 15, just a boy, when he left New Zealand to join West Brom. He chased a dream, he settled in the area and he wanted to go out on loan to test himself.

“He loved scoring goals, he thrived on it and he was a real out-and-out number nine. I had four strikers in that squad and he had scored ten goals for us but we had to rotate our squad and he wanted to play week-in, week-out to aid his development. He went to Bristol City and he continued to develop.

“He has the ability, he scored all types of goals and he’s a strong boy. A club like Newcastle need competition at the top end of the pitch.

“Callum Wilson is a player I have always liked and he is a really strong player. Saint-Maximin is a forward, an exciting player, but he’s not a goalscorer and Dwight Gayle has not been used.

“Chris Wood is more than a classic number nine, he will challenge for that shirt and he’s a good addition for Newcastle.”

“It’s not easy to sign any player in the January transfer window, especially a number nine, unless you are willing to pay out that money, of course,” said Hughton.

“Newcastle, as a club, understand where they are in the league, but they also know if they can strengthen, and go on a run, they can get out of it.

“They’re intelligent people in charge of the club, and they will be balancing a number of factors.

“They’ll balance what they could lose with relegation against what they can pay out in fees and what they receive by staying in the Premier League.

“There will be working hard, looking at availability of players, possible signings, costs involved, making those decisions.

“It’s a continuous process and they are clearly doing everything they can to move the club forwards.”

9 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Yep, one of my favorite people in football.

Absolutely.  His premature sacking by Ashley for Pardew in was the final straw for me. I jacked my ticket in at the end of that season. 

if they could treat someone like him that way after what he'd done then I wasn't interested in lining their pockets.

Love the bloke. Remember feeling completely ashamed and embarrassed by the club especially after that 6-1 defeat to Leyton Orient. Thought we had no chance of promotion and a pretty decent chance at another relegation but he more than steadied the ship.

Quite liked the football we played under Hughton particularly after the second half of our championship season and perhaps even more so in the premier league. We weren’t what you might call stylish like an Arsenal or Barca but the team always gave everything it had. That first season back in the premier league more goals were scored at at James’ park than any where else in the league.

We had some memorable games. 6-0 revenge against Villa, 5-1 West Ham with a shock Best hat-trick, 5-1 derby win. The 4-4 ofcourse which happened under Pardew but Hughton deserves some credit for that too. Pardew purposely changed as little as possible because he knew what a good job Chris had done and how popular he was.

Edited by Rafalove

Holy shit, that defeat to Leyton Orient was one of the worst feelings I've had supporting this club. Went to it expecting a nice friendly, few goals, but we got demolished. The train home was sombre as fuck.

And then the season we had was just wonderful. The emergence of Andy Carroll, the easy wins, Kevin Nolan doing the chicken dance. Loved that season, and loved having Hughton as the manager. Always enjoyed it when he said "a good group of lads" or words to that effect. 

Really nice words from him there, hope he's right and we can put together a run and get out of this mess.

have a real love for Hughton tbh, so much so I probably would of excepted him coming back in November when we were looking for a new manager, its the same now with howe tbh, its just so nice when  you have a dignified, honestv professional  associated with the club

Edited by GavMcEl