Chris Hughton

Keefaz

What I would say is that Hughton needs to show he can make some tough decisions. At the moment he seems reluctant to leave out any of his big names and when Smith returns on Saturday, at least two midfielders will need to be dropped. Butt will be one of them because Smith has claimed that role, after that it will be one from Taylor, Barton, Nolan or Guthrie. Guthrie and Taylor are the youngest so Hughton might well take the easy option and drop one of them. Should be interesting.

These next few days - Plymouth match included - are all about Hughton. If he can show that he's good enough to motivate the lads after a loss, and re-ignite the superb confidence we'd racked up - then he might prove to be good enough to take us up this season.

If we go up, it'll purely be down to the fact that we've got better players than everyone else... we'll win games in the same way we did under Roeder and Kinnear - in spite of the manager's tactics - which generally hold us back from our actual potential. His tactics are never going to be mindblowing but like i say, the quality of player should be enough anyway.

Hughton, apart from the ironing out obvious tactical niggles (like playing Nicky Butt and constantly reverting to long ball), just needs to keep the players fit and motivated, and we should keep winning games in the same way we were prior to Blackpool.

If Butt keeps playing mind, we might aswell forget it...

He's obviously not a natural character for it or he'd have tried it earlier rather than coaching all the time. As he's new to it you have to accept the fact he will make mistakes. Unfortunately at our expense. Hopefully he'll learn quickly and adapt.

• 2 weeks later...

Deserves a big pat on the back. Has proven a lot of people wrong, including yours truely, so far.

Yep. The opposition is almost exclusively rubbish mind.

Yep, predicted mid-table so I've been surprised at the gulf between the PL and CCC.

Can't say I've agreed with all Hughton's selections but he's stuck by players like Nolan and been rewarded. The football isn't pretty but we are out-muscling teams in the Championship. There's something quite satisfying about seeing teams lining up to teach Billy Big Boots Newcastle a lesson, then getting slapped around all over the park  :iamatwat:

Can't say I've agreed with all Hughton's selections but he's stuck by players like Nolan and been rewarded. The football isn't pretty but we are out-muscling teams in the Championship. There's something quite satisfying about seeing teams lining up to teach Billy Big Boots Newcastle a lesson, then getting slapped around all over the park  :iamatwat:

Them lads in the middle of the park Nolan, Smith, Barton, Guthrie may have many faults but the way they charge around & their obvious will to win means we will never get trounced like Boro did last week in this league.

I'd let him see us through to the end of the season unless we go on a horrid run, as there's no reason to upset the applecart when he's got such a good feeling about the place.

Say if moat does take over, Shearer will have the rest of the season to get some names down and take over next year.

Them lads in the middle of the park Nolan, Smith, Barton, Guthrie may have many faults but the way they charge around & their obvious will to win means we will never get trounced like Boro did last week in this league.

Yep. We can just look back to the cup game last week to see what can happen if the midfield is too lightweight. Hughton vindicated to some exent although the two strikers decision definitely took too long to get to.

Yep. We can just look back to the cup game last week to see what can happen if the midfield is too lightweight. Hughton vindicated to some extent although the two strikers decision definitely took too long to get to.

I think everyone can agree with every word of that.

Not often we all agree, is it ?:D

Obviously there are things we are all going to disagree with (we even did with Sir Bobby) but he is doing a good job.

Really like Hughton, we have had soo many players/managers who in the end the majority have disliked (some to extremes) so its nice to have someone the majority have genuine respect for even if he isn't who they really want.

He should be staying at the helm for the reminder of the season then get Shearer or some one big early in the summer so that he can create a good team for next season. Right now though in any case we shouldn't change Chris just for the sake of big name manager....

He should be staying at the helm for the reminder of the season then get Shearer or some one big early in the summer so that he can create a good team for next season. Right now though in any case we shouldn't change Chris just for the sake of big name manager....

If Hughton gets us promoted, why would you sack him and give Shearer the job in the summer?