Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If it's not broke, don't fucking fix it. Hughton has to stay in the job for the time being. If it all starts going pete tong, then the situation should be addressed

That, imo, has been a major contributory factor in our fall from grace, letting bad manager after wrong manager after completely wrong manager 'have a go'.

If it's not broke, don't f***ing fix it. Hughton has to stay in the job for the time being. If it all starts going pete tong, then the situation should be addressed

That, imo, has been a major contributory factor in our fall from grace, letting bad manager after wrong manager after completely wrong manager 'have a go'.

This topic is about the prospect of Alan Shearer getting the manager's job, you're proving my point right there

Hughton is so far, doing a good a job. Why on earth would we replace him with someone who has proved fuck all apart from the fact he's not a premiership manager

If Shearer cannot motivate the players in a relegation fight what makes you think that he can motivate the players to win promotion?

That aside, look at the teams Shearer was fielding. What on earth was it going to take to convince him to sit Nicky Butt? Playing Beye at CB. Bassong at left back?  Duff at left back? He obviously doesn't see what we had in playing Enrique and Jonas together on the left. He's stated that Barton will not play for him. So what are we going to do then?

If Shearer cannot motivate the players in a relegation fight what makes you think that he can motivate the players to win promotion?

That aside, look at the teams Shearer was fielding. What on earth was it going to take to convince him to sit Nicky Butt? Playing Beye at CB. Bassong at left back?  Duff at left back? He obviously doesn't see what we had in playing Enrique and Jonas together on the left. He's stated that Barton will not play for him. So what are we going to do then?

I agree, apart from the part in bold which is fabricated nonsense

Oh. Shit. Read it on these boards. Well, fuck me.

He's got good potential as a manager and - as Burnip says - he's one of only two people that would be given time by a large number of fans.

But I wonder now whether he's missed the boat. In life, you have to take your opportunities while they're there, and his attitude seemed to be that he would only take the job permanently if his masterplan was agreed. The players have responded to Houghton and we're doing well, so it won't be straightforward now for him to walk back into the job and run things his way. The players who have stayed behind and weathered the crisis might not welcome him with open arms like before. Shearer should have just said that he was interested in the permanent job, and left it at that.

The alternative thought process is that the players are willing at the moment because they're still expecting (or hoping for) Shearer to come in and/or things to change one way or another. They're trying to impress.

Will they still be responding to Hughton in a couple of months?

As long as we keep winning and sit at the top of the league or there abouts, I imagine they will.  If times get tough, then I'm not so sure.

I think this is the main reservation about Hughton. He seems a softly spoken character and not a natural at firing people up or kicking ass in times of trouble. I imagine it's why he's chosen to be a coach rather than a manager. He seems to be growing in confidence, but I have my doubts about whether he's going to be a good long term bet.

One problem with a coach becoming a manager is the relationship that they have with the players. A coach is not as distant as a manager, and at first that extra bit of palliness can be a help in drawing everyone together. That's what happened with McFaul and Roeder at first, and now Hughton.

The trouble then comes when the manager has to bring new players in, and drop his old mates. They then feel they've been let down by someone who they put into the job.

It's a tricky decision, but on balance I'd now go for Hughton providing he really wants the job and is prepared to adjust to the new role. I don't think Shearer did himself any favours a few weeks ago before the WBA game, when he talked publicly about the limitations of certain players.

lol... what did he say? anyone got a linky?

"That Butt's fuckin' shite like, thinks he's Maradona..."

The detail I recall was that Butt, Barton and Nolan lacked pace and weren't going to get us goals from midfield. A fair enough comment if you're a TV pundit but not the right thing to say in public if you're about to become the manager of those players.

He also said that all the players on the list that he handed to Ashley had already been snapped up by other clubs. Again, not a very inspiring message.

He wasn't in an easy situation because he was in the position of a TV pundit, but he could have handled it better.

I agree, if the players weren't willing to put the effort in for Shearer in a relegation battle then what will they be like going for promotion?

I'm not convinced about Houghton as a long term plan but he deinitely should be rewarded for his work over the last year, he's been put into a terrible situation and he's hardly complained once yet he's also got us off to a better start than any of us could have hoped for or even dared dream about.

I'm not saying make him the manager but definitely extend his contract as first team coach, he's proven to be loyal which I think right now is what we've needed, not another Keegan who bolts at the first sign of trouble.

If it's not broke, don't f***ing fix it. Hughton has to stay in the job for the time being. If it all starts going pete tong, then the situation should be addressed

This topic is about the prospect of Alan Shearer getting the manager's job, you're proving my point right there

Hughton is so far, doing a good a job. Why on earth would we replace him with someone who has proved fuck all apart from the fact he's not a premiership manager

Can't really disagree with your first sentence, but 8 games with a shell-shocked squad = not a Premiership manager :lol:

I'm not saying he's the dog's bollocks of managers either btw, just that statement is the opposite of Shearer is da best ever!

The only real thing in Shearers favour (as an untested manager) is how he commands respect and that he may be quite a pull for getting players in.

Ashley is only likely to appoint a yes man who just feels privileged to have the job at all and has no power over him. He got his fingers burnt with Keegan. Ashley won't want any big name who asks too many questions, nor will he want to fork out much money as we know all too well.

The idea of giving Hughton the reigns on the back of 5 games is ridiculous though. Our first team on paper right now is among the strongest, if not the strongest in the league. The challenge for any manager will be when our paper thin squad picks up injuries and heads start to drop and Hughton hasn't proven himself whatsoever yet. It's Glenn Roeder all over again, backing a manager on a handful of games is just as bad if not worse than handing the job to Shearer if you ask me. Unlike Hughton, Shearer clearly wanted to become a manager and has the backing of the fans and seemingly the players which would make him a lot less sackable by Ashley, hence greater stability. But that's precisely the reason I think Ashley won't give him the job.

Ultimately Keane wasn't the answer for the mackems but he got them promoted and kept them up there. A lot of the people who say appointing Shearer is mad were probably the same people who thought Keane was an inspired move.

I would agree with most of that but with a couple of provisos. Firstly the one slight doubt I have in my mind over Shearer is man management. I never liked him as a person in the way I did Keegan and I do wonder if the players will give 100% for him when I see him openly discussing the squad shortcomings on tv. Still to prove himself on that score for me, although it's just a minor doubt.

Secondly, I think he's probably missed a trick by making demands that Ashley just wasn't prepared to meet. While it's good that he's ambitious, in effect it's given Ashley the chance to slip Hughton in there and he's took it with both hands, now Shearer is on the outside looking in. It's turned out to be a serious misjudgement of not just the capability of the current squad at this level but also makes it look like he doesn't have the capability to work within a very restricted budget.

In the long run though, I still think he's a more natural boss than Hughton. 

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's got good potential as a manager and - as Burnip says - he's one of only two people that would be given time by a large number of fans.

But I wonder now whether he's missed the boat. In life, you have to take your opportunities while they're there, and his attitude seemed to be that he would only take the job permanently if his masterplan was agreed. The players have responded to Houghton and we're doing well, so it won't be straightforward now for him to walk back into the job and run things his way. The players who have stayed behind and weathered the crisis might not welcome him with open arms like before. Shearer should have just said that he was interested in the permanent job, and left it at that.

The alternative thought process is that the players are willing at the moment because they're still expecting (or hoping for) Shearer to come in and/or things to change one way or another. They're trying to impress.

Will they still be responding to Hughton in a couple of months?

As long as we keep winning and sit at the top of the league or there abouts, I imagine they will.  If times get tough, then I'm not so sure.

I think this is the main reservation about Hughton. He seems a softly spoken character and not a natural at firing people up or kicking ass in times of trouble. I imagine it's why he's chosen to be a coach rather than a manager. He seems to be growing in confidence, but I have my doubts about whether he's going to be a good long term bet.

One problem with a coach becoming a manager is the relationship that they have with the players. A coach is not as distant as a manager, and at first that extra bit of palliness can be a help in drawing everyone together. That's what happened with McFaul and Roeder at first, and now Hughton.

The trouble then comes when the manager has to bring new players in, and drop his old mates. They then feel they've been let down by someone who they put into the job.

It's a tricky decision, but on balance I'd now go for Hughton providing he really wants the job and is prepared to adjust to the new role. I don't think Shearer did himself any favours a few weeks ago before the WBA game, when he talked publicly about the limitations of certain players.

lol... what did he say? anyone got a linky?

"That Butt's fuckin' s**** like, thinks he's Maradona..."

The detail I recall was that Butt, Barton and Nolan lacked pace and weren't going to get us goals from midfield. A fair enough comment if you're a TV pundit but not the right thing to say in public if you're about to become the manager of those players.

He also said that all the players on the list that he handed to Ashley had already been snapped up by other clubs. Again, not a very inspiring message.

He wasn't in an easy situation because he was in the position of a TV pundit, but he could have handled it better.

For me it does change the situation now the transfer window has closed. Shearer could have done something about what he saw as weak areas, however now he is stuck with what he had, he might be in a difficult situation.

I think the players would understand what he was trying to say, however, i still think we have a reasonable mix. Butt/Smith and even Geremi to an extent could play the holding role while Barton/Nolan/ Guthrie could play a more advanced role

Guest Roger Kint

Agree with Ronaldo re Barton.

As for the LB issues, you obviously didnt see Enrique getting injured and therefore missing the Stoke/Spurs games(cant defend the tactics of Spurs mind) forcing Shearers hand. There was a fair bit of support to Duff's long term future as LB after his games there on this board tbh. He brought Enrique straight back who then pulled up v Pompey again proving you wrong.....

The Beye CB point, again due to injuries & reshuffling a poor Coloccini out, sorry you missed that too.

By no way defending some of his poor decisions but those you raise are pretty poor

Guest Roger Kint

If there was a takeover / fresh start I'd still have Shearer in. I don't think he'd work for Ashley now, and I don't think it would be a good idea.

This

I honestly cant see him coming back before January either way though. Maybe if new owners come in with a fair wedge to spend he might fancy it but definately not outside a transfer window. Half expect him to play down himself and praise Hughton i the next few days and see out his MOTD deal.

Is it? If that is the case, i'd be more inclined to want Shearer as his inability to deal with Barton is a real concern. Sounds like Souness etc.

Would like to bring Shearer in now. Very different circumstances to last season given the good start, seemingly good team spirit etc and lesser standard of opposition. Hughton is doing well but we have seen how far caretaker managers can go in the past. As long as Ashley is here he won't be manager anyway.

Agree with Ronaldo re Barton.

As for the LB issues, you obviously didnt see Enrique getting injured and therefore missing the Stoke/Spurs games(cant defend the tactics of Spurs mind) forcing Shearers hand. There was a fair bit of support to Duff's long term future as LB after his games there on this board tbh. He brought Enrique straight back who then pulled up v Pompey again proving you wrong.....

The Beye CB point, again due to injuries & reshuffling a poor Coloccini out, sorry you missed that too.

By no way defending some of his poor decisions but those you raise are pretty poor

My point was that Shearer misused the players he had by playing them out of position. There was no point in playing Bassong, or Duff, or Alan Smith (for fuck's sake) at left back--- Enrique or no Enrique. And Shearer didn't play Jonas and Enrique together on the left--- even when both were healthy. He chose not to.

And nobody needed to force Shearer's hand to get Duff into the starting 11. Like Butt, he was a regular feature of our demise. He was, by the way, a waste of space left back.

Guest sicko2ndbest

All this 'inability to work with Barton' stuff is horseshit!

The facts of the matter were that Barton made a petulant tackle that resulted in a straight red card meaning he could play no further part in the run in. Shearer was frustrated because he knew how important Barton was in the run in. What should he have done

'Its ok Joey everyone makes mistakes, dont worry about the fact that you are now banned from the run in'

He faced up to what it was which was inexcusable. He told Barton exactly what he thought, something Hughton would not do in a million years. JFK would have probably applauded Barton for showing the Cunt who's boss.

I WILL NOT HAVE ANYONE TAKE THE PISS OUT OF THIS CLUB

This sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Duff who has worked under Mourinho said Shearer was top drawer. This when he was not a guaranteed starter. This speaks volumes for me. Beggars belief that anyone can not want Shearer.

Guest Roger Kint

So oh managerial genius gazza ladra. Who do you suggest we played LB when Enrique was injured?

Bassong was played LB before Shearer came in and actually played left of a back 3 CB v Stoke which worked sort of, Duff has played there plenty for club AND country before Shearer and i repeat got a lot of praise on this forum for his work there.

I apreciate you are struggling here so i will be blunt, you are talking bollocks!

Enrique started 2 games under Shearer. Chelsea where he played behind Jonas. Pompey at home where he played 3 up front(understandably Jonas carrying an injury missed out) and thats it. He went off withing 30 mins of the latter. He was injures for the rest save the second half v Villa.

Guest The Libertine

Even if the Shearer era isn't a success, and there's every chance it might be, we need to get it out of our systems so we can move on as club.

i understand and agree with that but the fact that the minority of fans are pretty much being held at gunpoint with this is quite tragic. we always need a certain hero, not just any hero.

All this 'inability to work with Barton' stuff is horseshit!

The facts of the matter were that Barton made a petulant tackle that resulted in a straight red card meaning he could play no further part in the run in. Shearer was frustrated because he knew how important Barton was in the run in. What should he have done

'Its ok Joey everyone makes mistakes, dont worry about the fact that you are now banned from the run in'

He faced up to what it was which was inexcusable. He told Barton exactly what he thought, something Hughton would not do in a million years. JFK would have probably applauded Barton for showing the Cunt who's boss.

I WILL NOT HAVE ANYONE TAKE THE PISS OUT OF THIS CLUB

This sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Duff who has worked under Mourinho said Shearer was top drawer. This when he was not a guaranteed starter. This speaks volumes for me. Beggars belief that anyone can not want Shearer.

Duff also said that he really wanted to stay, loved playing here etc, then as soon as he went he had a pop at us.

Oh , fuck Kint. Jonas was on the right for Chelsea. When Shearer played Jonas, he brought him in on the right or as a striker (?) in the front three---surprise, surprise we didn't score. Meanwhile, Duff soldiered on up and down the left wing.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Alan Smith is not the answer at left back. Duff offered nothing. We'd been better off with Ryan Taylor.

Even if the Shearer era isn't a success, and there's every chance it might be, we need to get it out of our systems so we can move on as club.

i understand and agree with that but the fact that the minority of fans are pretty much being held at gunpoint with this is quite tragic. we always need a certain hero, not just any hero.

Yeah, I certainly don't believe that Newcastle is particularly 'special' and needs a particular Geordie hero to be the manager, that attitude holds the club back in a major way. I'm not sure how many fans really believe that either though, if Mourinho fancied a crack at the job I'm sure we'd get on board with that!

The only problem is that, to a certain extent, what a vocal minority shout for and what the press report becomes the reality. If we're always going to have the spectre of Shearer over the club, on TV etc, then it might not be the worst thing to give him a shot and see what happens. Also, he might be a success, which would obviously be amazing.

Who will be next in line as the messiah though? S Taylor's a bit young to be manager yet!

Guest Roger Kint

Oh , f*** Kint. Jonas was on the right for Chelsea. When Shearer played Jonas, he brought him in on the right or as a striker (?) in the front three---surprise, surprise we didn't score. Meanwhile, Duff soldiered on up and down the left wing.

It doesn't take a genius to know that Alan Smith is not the answer at left back. Duff offered nothing. We'd been better off with Ryan Taylor.

Jonas was on the left v Chelsea, Lovenkrands was injured by Chelseas LW Malouda dont ya know.

You are clearly unable to understand football, that much is obvious. Duff did a reasonable job at LB, his attitute proved Shearer was correct to play him there regardless of what a no nothing like you thinks.

As for Smith LB, you will have to explain when that happened? While there how about answering the original question of Who Shearer should have picked LB during all these injuries?

Why do fans want him anyway?

Only thing he's done as a coach/manager is get us relegated. We're more than capable of attracting a proven manager.

If Shearer wants the job, he should prove himself somewhere else first. End of.