Anyone still want Shearer?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's got good potential as a manager and - as Burnip says - he's one of only two people that would be given time by a large number of fans.

But I wonder now whether he's missed the boat. In life, you have to take your opportunities while they're there, and his attitude seemed to be that he would only take the job permanently if his masterplan was agreed. The players have responded to Houghton and we're doing well, so it won't be straightforward now for him to walk back into the job and run things his way. The players who have stayed behind and weathered the crisis might not welcome him with open arms like before. Shearer should have just said that he was interested in the permanent job, and left it at that.

The alternative thought process is that the players are willing at the moment because they're still expecting (or hoping for) Shearer to come in and/or things to change one way or another. They're trying to impress.

Will they still be responding to Hughton in a couple of months?

As long as we keep winning and sit at the top of the league or there abouts, I imagine they will.  If times get tough, then I'm not so sure.

Shearer wouldn't be my absolute first choice but he'd be well ahead of any other realistic choice.  We've done well so far under Hughton due to the horrendous quality of this league.  But IMO we'd be much better off under Shearer, especially long term.

Still worried that Shearer is more of a Souness than a Sir Bobby. We won't know until he's given a chance though, and now is still a good time to try him out.

Problem is, the exact same thing could be said about Houghton. He looked way out of his depth when managing us briefly in the Premiership, and he initially bottled the game against West Brom, settling for a draw when we looked like scoring a second, but maybe he's improving gradually, and it's a possibility that he could turn out to be a pretty decent manager. Most top managers were not great players, and Houghton certainly was not a great player. Maybe not having a big ego helps when it comes to management? And that's one thing Houghton clearly lacks.

If we're going to appoint a manager now, we need to appoint one that's meant to be here for the next five years and beyond (all being well). No more of this temporary/do a job (or not) crap. And if this is what we're going to do... who the fuck is there out there who's at all realistic and good enough? No one.

I'd rather not go for a Strachan or a Coppell (or even Hughton); aye they may well get us promoted, but they're not a long term bet in the Premiership. So on that basis, i'd go for Shearer.

I also think he'll be a good manager if he gets the backing from whoever's in charge. He'll have the backing from the fans, obviously.

Still worried that Shearer is more of a Souness than a Sir Bobby. We won't know until he's given a chance though, and now is still a good time to try him out.

Problem is, the exact same thing could be said about Houghton. He looked way out of his depth when managing us briefly in the Premiership, and he initially bottled the game against West Brom, settling for a draw when we looked like scoring a second, but maybe he's improving gradually, and it's a possibility that he could turn out to be a pretty decent manager. Most top managers were not great players, and Houghton certainly was not a great player. Maybe not having a big ego helps when it comes to management? And that's one thing Houghton clearly lacks.

*Hughton

O0

Not again. :lol:

For every Glenn Roeder, there's a ... erm ... Dirk Kuyt.

I seriously don't think there's any other option than Shearer. When you choose a manager for Newcastle United you've got to seriously consider what the fans will be thinking, if the manager hasn't got a good reputation or is  isn't associated with the club then anything but immediate success becomes a disaster in the fans perspective ultimately putting pressure on the whole club.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/825/825525/homer_scream.jpg

The whole Keegan/Shearer only thing is a load of utter twaddle tbqh iyam. There was a bad reaction to Souness and Kinnear. Big fucking surprise when you consider: A, their utter wankness and B, the men they followed. Roeder was meh and Allardyce was generally pretty well received. All of them got stick when they went horribly shit.

Rather have Curbishley, Strachan or Coppell tbh.

Jesus christ, no thanks.

Really? not being funny but surely all of these managers have proven themselves to be succesful at different stages.  Coppell/Strachan I wouldn't mind, they could quietly do well with us.  Surely you would consider taking one of them over keeping Hughton full time? - I admire what Hughton has done, but I still think a better manager would get even more out of our players.

I'd rather us kept Hughton for now and see if he can keep this going rather than appoint any of them. There is absolutely no way I would give Hughton the job full time, but I think he is showing that he is capable of getting a team of players playing to their ability in this league. I don't see any logic in appointing anyone of them three managers mentioned. They have all been Premiership managers and all been relatively successful at their former clubs but they were only expected to keep their clubs up really and it wasn't pretty stuff (might be being harsh on Curbishley for the couple of decent seasons Charlton had). I am not suggesting for one minute that I expect us to go straight back up then have a right to stay there and be in the top half. I just think that Hughton is capable of winning matches with these players so there is no need to appoint a manager like the ones mentioned. I'd much rather we either appointed Shearer or kept Hughton than them lot. I know Shearer's unproven but he might just turn out to be a successful manager, and I'd rather take the risk than appoint a proven but very limited manager. Then again, if we go back up and we find a buyer then there will be no shortage of takers for the job. Would anyone seriously want one of them managers coming in for the long term? I'd rather take a gamble on Shearer or wait until we are in a position to appoint a bloody good manager.

Has Advocaat got a new job after leaving Zenit yet? If not, he'd be my number one choice. Realistically, Shearer would be my first choice, as I can't really see anyone much better wanting it, even after a take over.

You're never as good as you look and never as bad as you look.  

Ergo, As bad as Hughton was last year, it wasn't even close to being his fault.  The club was in utter turmoil last year and a lot of players really didn't give a shit and he lost the team.

It sounds like Shearer cracked down on thew lackadaisical attitude and then allegedly laid out the preseason training regime.  Furthermore, as Steven Taylor says, the attitude from above has helped bind the players together; all of which has made it easier for Hughton to look better.

I think Hughton has done a fine job as a caretaker this year.  But he's a caretaker.  he's not making anything worse but he's not making anything better.  He's keeping the gears oiled and what not.  I have no idea how he'd handle buying players and building his squad.  I hope thre club ownership is sorted out by January so the club can start going forward.  I don't think Hughton is the man and I'm not really sure Shearer is either.