Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

We create a stack load of chances from wide positions. It's made to look like less cos none of our strikers, aside from Lovenkrands, show any form of attacking nouse. Things like making diagonal runs, dropping deep, running to the near post, running to the far post, knowing when to pelt it, knowing when to ghost in behind a defender. Shola's okay at being the 'intelligent striker', but his physical attributes have just declined even more this season.

The creativity isn't amazing but, just like defending isn't just about defenders - 'midfielding' isn't just about the midfielders. It's a team effort and the only place we've got weekly cohesion/understanding is at the back. Our strikers, more often than not, loiter on the edge of the box waiting for a long-ball, or simply cos they just don't fucking know how to react to breaks in play. This is the case moreso at home. Sometimes it's clicked and we've pinged a load of goals in early on - but it's fatal when it doesn't happen. We start home games in an identical manner each week, and if the strikers don't contribute to our occassional bursts of fluid football... 30 minutes comes and goes and you can just predict a 0-0 from that point on.

It's happened on more than one occassion at home this season, and with our unconvincing away form, we can't afford to let it continue. Signing a striker with a glimmer of intelligence, and the physical abilities to actually put it into action, will do our chances the world of good.

It's not a case of us not creating enough chances, because we do. Though, i confess, today is no such testimony - though i'd put that down to the manager rather than any of the playing staff.

A striker is not a priority ffs.  A central midfielder with some legs and an eye for a pass is, we could put Drogba and Torres up front and at the end of the day they still be feeding off fucking scraps. The strikers have to be in the perfect position every time for the useless cunts behind them to find them with a pass.

We could do with another striker certainly, but the team would be revolutionised by a decent player in the middle of the park. Look at the some of the fucking dross that have scored goals in the championship this season http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/top_scorers/default.stm, it's not like we're creating a bundle of chances and the strikers are missing them. We're lucky to carve out 2 or 3 decent chances a game and they all come from out wide. The lack of retention and movement/showing for the ball from the middle of midfield is a massive factor in not creating chances. We're constantly winging games by giving it to the wingers and hoping they'll pop it onto one of the striikers heads, more often than not, in the case of most teams, the defenders get something on it, the problem then is there's no cunt within 20 yards picking up the loose ball and the opposition can take the ball back every single time. It's happens again and again.   

That's the difference with our strikers and a decent one though; a decent one would have scored today, despite the lack of chances we created. Not saying that the central midfield is any good by the way, I've said for years it's the weakest point of the side, but we could just about get away with Nolan and Smith in this league. We actually have two players in the squad at the minute in Guthrie and Barton (when fit) that would be a massive improvement on the previous pairing mentioned, not likely to happen though. With nobody up front to stick away chances, regardless of feeding off scraps or not, it could well cost us.

Yorkie we put countless crosses in but about 1 in 10 are dangerous ones, they're all hopeful. You need people from midfield running in, if only to distract defenders and create space. Whenever we cross the ball, we have the two strikers in there, and that's it. Against 4 defenders and a keeper, that is our basic tactic and the lads up front have next to no chance of making anything from it. Way too tired to go on, but the strikers in our squad now are far and away good enough to win this league. Replace the midfielders and we would at an absolute canter, we play in spite of them atm.

Yorkie we put countless crosses in but about 1 in 10 are dangerous ones, they're all hopeful. You need people from midfield running in, if only to distract defenders and create space. Whenever we cross the ball, we have the two strikers in there, and that's it. Against 4 defenders and a keeper, that is our basic tactic and the lads up front have next to no chance of making anything from it. Way too tired to go on, but the strikers in our squad now are far and away good enough to win this league. Replace the midfielders and we would at an absolute canter, we play in spite of them atm.

I'll let you go to bed so i won't argue to the teeth; but i totally disagree with this statement. Lovenkrands is probably the only one who i'd wager as a "1st-placed team in Championship's" squad. Shola's an excellent finisher but that's all he's got. Like i say, it's not only about putting the ball in the net, it's about positioning yourself to do so aswell. And when they're doing neither the latter nor the former, i find it very difficult to argue against signing another striker.

Now this is trying very hard not to come across 'superfanish' (though it's impossible to escape such a label, given my upcoming three words), but my season ticket is in the lower tier of the Gallowgate - so i see close up exactly what's going on with the strikers, every week from a more personal level. And it just isn't good enough whatsoever. I mean the times i've begged one of them just to make a fucking near post run - at the very fucking least! - when Jonas or Enrique are piling down that left. It beggars belief. I'm well aware that i sound like a know-it-all cunt there, but the difference in seeing it that close up to on the screen is so vast

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. You just have to look at that game vs Derby County, and compare it to Swansea - for example - to realise we badly need a better striker, if you ask me.

Both are priorities tbf. You can't ignore the striking situation. Shola Ameobi looks very good in this league, but will struggle to get 5 league goals in the Premiership. Carroll has done nothing, and I'm not convinced with Lovenkrands. Nile Ranger looks very promising.

Our midfield is pretty much terrible. I have no qualms with Guthrie, and Barton will be a useful player once he returns to the squad. Butt and Smith are terrible, and Nolan is almost as bad when played centrally.

We need both a central midfielder and a striker.

We've seriously missed out on Moses.

I can understand people saying that we need a forward but Shearer would have struggled to score with the shit our central midfielders produce.  I've seen people saying that Ryan Taylor put in some good crosses against Leicester, I'd be surprised if he actually put in more than 1 or 2 because most of the balls that he put into the box went in at knee height and didn't get anywhere near one of our players.  The forwards are feeding on scraps and we'd need a really good forward to score regularly with the service that they are getting.

I'll let you go to bed so i won't argue to the teeth; but i totally disagree with this statement. Lovenkrands is probably the only one who i'd wager as a "1st-placed team in Championship's" squad. Shola's an excellent finisher but that's all he's got. Like i say, it's not only about putting the ball in the net, it's about positioning yourself to do so aswell. And when they're doing neither the latter nor the former, i find it very difficult to argue against signing another striker.

Now this is trying very hard not to come across 'superfanish' (though it's impossible to escape such a label, given my upcoming three words), but my season ticket is in the lower tier of the Gallowgate - so i see close up exactly what's going on with the strikers, every week from a more personal level. And it just isn't good enough whatsoever. I mean the times i've begged one of them just to make a fucking near post run - at the very fucking least! - when Jonas or Enrique are piling down that left. It beggars belief. I'm well aware that i sound like a know-it-all cunt there, but the difference in seeing it that close up to on the screen is so vast

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. You just have to look at that game vs Derby County, and compare it to Swansea - for example - to realise we badly need a better striker, if you ask me.

I know what you're saying and I agree. The thing is though, these players are at best relegation candidate strikers in the premiership, they simply don't think that quickly and the thought doesn't cross their minds, you see that stuff from the likes of Drogba and the like but you rarely see it consistenly even in the premiership. We have to make do with what we've got and do the simple things that create chances, as I said imo if we had a central midfielder joining in in the box we'd see a hell of a lot more chances and goals from crosses, we have the two strikers in there most of the time and that's it. You simply can't expect them to do anything with it. Especially when the balls in are at knee height or floated aimlessly which 90% of them are, you can profit from balls like that, but you need the bodies in there fighting for it, an we don't, simple as that.

Here's a question for you, would you swap our strike force for anyone else's in this league? And if so why? There is no better set of strikers in anyone's squad in this league, it's just they play in teams that play as a team and work for eachother. We have got the best squad by an absolute mile barring the centre of midfield and that is the basis of all of our problems, in creating chances and looking vulnerable leading to the over reliance on the defence.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I still wouldn't rule out a late move for Beckford after being knocked back by Moses.

If we wont go to 2.5mil for one of the countries biggest talents who has a proven ccc record there is no chance in hell we will go to that for Beckford, and its not saying we will get him for that, especially with Grayson having no time to replace

I still wouldn't rule out a late move for Beckford after being knocked back by Moses.

If we wont go to 2.5mil for one of the countries biggest talents who has a proven ccc record there is no chance in hell we will go to that for Beckford, and its not saying we will get him for that, especially with Grayson having no time to replace

didnt they just bring in McSheffery on loan? he's a striker

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11715_5893995,00.html

Guest Heneage

What do you all expect? Hughton is more defensive minded than a f***ing childrens karate instructor.

http://www.foolishpeople.com/foolishpeople/images/paedo.jpg

'By the power vested in me, by the bloke in the pub.'

didnt they just bring in McSheffery on loan? he's a striker

Primarily a winger tbh.

fucking hell that's an unflattering picture :lol:

fucking hell that's an unflattering picture :lol:

That's been a trend for Sky Sports recently, finding the worst possible picture for their articles :lol: