Temuri Ketsbaia

HawK

A larger than life character, experience of living and working in the North-East, popular with the fans, successful experience in management, a much-travelled character who's probably picked up lots of different ideas - he ticks a lot of boxes.

Yeah, he's a bold choice that might just come off. I don't particularly want another Ron Manager.

Get Keegan on your list, might as well turn this thread into a Keegan debate too.

The reason i left him off.  :lol:

Can hear CP40 and NG charging towards their PC's as I type on their white horses cutting their daily KK prayers short at this blasphemous attempt by myself.

See you in Keegan heaven (or hell for me i guess). :(

A larger than life character, experience of living and working in the North-East, popular with the fans, successful experience in management, a much-travelled character who's probably picked up lots of different ideas - he ticks a lot of boxes.

Yeah, he's a bold choice that might just come off. I don't particularly want another Ron Manager.

Wonder how the English lads who hold a lot of clout here would take to him? Might be worth getting a view of players like Gary Speed who were in the same squad as to his suitability, managing in Greece is probably a lot different to here.

He DREW 9 games in 5 seasons, lost 26 and won 73. His team scored 218 goals and conceded 83 for a GD of +135.

And with Olympiakos: 6 games, 5 wins, 1 draw and 9-0 in goals.

he was managing the cypriot equivilent of man utd though. the biggest,richest club in the country. done well in europe mind.

(for balance)

He DREW 9 games in 5 seasons, lost 26 and won 73. His team scored 218 goals and conceded 83 for a GD of +135.

he was managing the cypriot equivilent of man utd though. the biggest,richest club in the country. done well in europe mind.

(for balance)

I always thought that APOEL were the biggest club in Cyprus. 20 league trophies compared to Anorthosis 13. But I get your point though.

Guest Roger Kint

Stupid bloody wiki stats :-[

(for balance)

I always thought that APOEL were the biggest club in Cyprus. 20 league trophies compared to Anorthosis 13. But I get your point though.

Yeah I checked wiki and apparently Famagusta are only the third most successful team in Cyprus with 13 titles, 2 of those down to Ketsbaia.

They also hadn't won the league for 4 years when he took over, then won it in his first season.

(for balance)

Yeah I checked wiki and apparently Famagusta are only the third most successful team in Cyprus with 13 titles, 2 of those down to Ketsbaia.

They also hadn't won the league for 4 years when he took over, then won it in his first season.

preston have more titles than us.

(for balance)

So we aren't the 'Manchester United' of England the same way Famagusta aren't the 'Manchester United' of Cyprus.

(for balance)

So we aren't the 'Manchester United' of England the same way Famagusta aren't the 'Manchester United' of Cyprus.

ok then. one of the biggest clubs in the country which had finished runners up by one point the previous two season,fourth before that and winners before that and since the early part of this century has the reputation of being the money bags of the cypriot league.

• 1 month later...
Temuri Ketsbaia will become a new head coach of the Georgian football team.

President of the Georgian Football Federation Zviad Sichinava said: “I think it is possible to say today that the Georgian team will be trained by Temuri Ketsbaia”.

Ketsbaia will replace Argentine Hector Cuper under whose leadership the Georgian team played too weak in the qualification matches of the 2010 world championship.

Temuri Ketsbaia’s football career started in Dinamo in the Sukhumi city. Later he transferred to Tbilisi’s Dinamo and played there until 1992. Then the midfielder started his career abroad. He travelled over Europe and the most popular club in which he played was Newcastle United.

Ketsbaia ended his career in the Cyprus Anorthosis Famagusta and later became a coach in this team. Cypriots got to the group round of the League of Champions under his supervision. And his last jobplace was Georgian Olimpiakos.

http://www.news.az/articles/1628

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just spotted this from a few days ago

http://www.betfairfootball.com/premier-league/newcastle-united/newcastles-next-messiah-impresses-again-280311.html

Newcastle's next messiah impresses again

The belief that Newcastle fans only take to managers that have a history with the club, such as Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer, is somewhat overstated, but it's undeniably easier to earn the trust of the Toon Army - and most fanbases - if you've already given the supporters reason to believe in you.

Chris Hughton took a while to win around the St James' Park crowd, with his success leading him to become very popular before his controversial sacking, while the jury is still out on Alan Pardew due to the belief that he got the job because of his friendship with Mike Ashley and co rather than his ability.

So without a so-called messiah figure on Tyneside right now, some Magpies fans must be tracking the progress of former midfielder Temuri Ketsbaia, who was very popular in his three years in the north east, keenly in the early years of his coaching career. Those who are can't fail to be impressed.

The 43-year-old, who also had spells in Britain with Wolves and Dundee, guided his first employers Anorthosis Famagusta, into the group stage of the 2008-09 Champions League - becoming the first Cypriot team to progress that far - and coming agonisingly close to reaching the knockout rounds.

After claiming two titles there, he had a brief, unbeaten stint with Olympiacos, before taking charge of the Georgia national team in 2009. His return to his homeland has been glorious, with not a single defeat suffered in ten games, their 1-0 weekend victory over Croatia being the best result yet.

As a result, Georgia - having never previously reached an international tournament - are two points off the top of the incredibly open Euro 2012 qualifying Group F, which they are [6.2] to finish first in. Given the credit Slaven Bilic received for his hot streak as Croatia boss, Ketsbaia deserves huge praise.

Ketsbaia admitted after Keegan's second departure in 2008 that he would love to manage Newcastle, so if there is a vacancy once Georgia's participation in Euro 2012 has concluded, the fiery cult hero would have to be seriously considered.

• 5 years later...

Apparently they sacked him as he got knocked out of a semi final of a cup and had only picked up 5 points in 9. Imagine getting to a point where that is seen as so bad you have to get rid of the manager :lol: