Watching The Manc Derby Game. And .....

Crumpy Gunt

I think it was very telling what Shay said in his press conference "They made me do things I didn't want to do"

What you mean his job that he gets paid truck loads for? That at the end of the day is a game, no one lives or dies by it.

I am really not sure how you picked that up. But to me Shay would of left in the summer but as the man himself says they wanted the money instead of keeping one of better players.

"There are a couple of things they could have done to keep me, but I think in the end they just wanted to take the money.

I just felt that after the service I gave the club, then the regime at Newcastle could have handled the whole thing a bit better.

They made me do things I didnt want to do"

Well maybe his lawyer shouldn't have leaked stuff to the press about him wanting to leave then.

Refresh my memory post what was leaked

I was at the Liverpool game & to me it seemed Shay was at breaking poin then.

From Jan 2nd

In a remarkable development, the Donegal native's lawyer, Michael Kennedy, has released a statement declaring that his client is fed up with Newcastle's off-field and on-field problems, and that he will mull over his options this winter.

"Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend," read Kennedy's letter, which was reprinted in The Daily Mail.

"It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

"When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

"Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham."

& yet it was almost another 4 weeks before he grew some balls & asked for a transfer.  I wonder why. ???

He mysteriously pulled out of the City away game claiming a previously unreported injury, his transfer went through some days after. He made his City debut straight away. Injured, my arse.

Like I said though, would that have not been because of Man Citys demand as apposed to his personal decision ?

knowing how rapacious ashley is i wouldnt be surprised if it was down to him. his worst nightmare to miss out on a few bob over something as silly as an injury.

Wood for the trees.

Given feigned injury, no way on earth would they have dropped their best keeper.

no way? it's pretty normal for clubs to leave a player out if they know he is going to be on his way. more so if the game is against the club he's keen to move to. the papers had already said before the game that he was going to be left out by the club as he was in discussions with ashley etc.

He mysteriously pulled out of the City away game claiming a previously unreported injury, his transfer went through some days after. He made his City debut straight away. Injured, my arse.

Like I said though, would that have not been because of Man Citys demand as apposed to his personal decision ?

knowing how rapacious ashley is i wouldnt be surprised if it was down to him. his worst nightmare to miss out on a few bob over something as silly as an injury.

Wood for the trees.

Given feigned injury, no way on earth would they have dropped their best keeper.

no way? it's pretty normal for clubs to leave a player out if they know he is going to be on his way. more so if the game is against the club he's keen to move to. the papers had already said before the game that he was going to be left out by the club as he was in discussions with ashley etc.

You knew nowt about this stuff on page 2 of this thread, but now you know exactly what went on. Brilliant :lol:

Wood for the trees.

You knew nowt about this stuff on page 2 of this thread, but now you know exactly what went on. Brilliant :lol:

who says I knew nowt about it? I was asking where this bollocks about feigning injury came from and clearly said in that same post what i thought about it.

Wood for the trees.

who says I knew nowt about it? I was asking where this bollocks about feigning injury came from and clearly said in that same post what i thought about it.

You said where had it come from on the previous page man, now you're saying you knew all about. :lol:

Guest SupermacTheLegend

but in a few years time, Krul will be twice as good as Given ever was.

Total drivel, what a f***ing stupid thing to say. :lol:

Way too early to say, but if he's as good as the Dutch seem to rate him, he should be quality.

Who cares, he'll be at arsenal by the beginign of next Season.

Wood for the trees.

You said where had it come from on the previous page man, now you're saying you knew all about. :lol:

eh? I was asking where the rubbish about feigning an injury came from as, when ive seen it mentioned both now and in the past, ive never seen any proof, nor any mention of it outside one or two loons on here who take things said by Kinnear too literally. im not really saying anything other than the fact it sounds like rubbish as a/ leaving players out when it looks like they are moving somewhere isnt uncommon and b/ it had actually been reported before the game itself that this was going to happen. as one of those making the claim it might help if you provided a bit of an argument backing it up rather than going round in circles and really saying nothing at all.

Sickened by the vitriol being aimed at Given here.  Nothing other than a fantastic servant to the club and could have left long before he did to a team capable of challening for honours.  In all his interviews during his time with us and since his genuine love for the club, city and fans was always clear to me and if were we able to maintain our progress under Sir Bob's regime or at least stay in and around the top 6 he'd still be between the sticks for us now.  

Players can only be loyal to a degree and unfortunately we sunk too far for a player of his standard, and I hold no grudge towards him leaving.  It's his career at the end of the day and he's running out of time to win honours.  As others have already pointed out, the current board were only too keen to take the cash as well where as I'm sure he could have been persuaded to stick it out till the end of the season if he was shown the respect his years of service warranted.

Wood for the trees.

eh? I was asking where the rubbish about feigning an injury came from as, when ive seen it mentioned both now and in the past, ive never seen any proof, nor any mention of it outside one or two loons on here who take things said by Kinnear too literally. im not really saying anything other than the fact it sounds like rubbish as a/ leaving players out when it looks like they are moving somewhere isnt uncommon and b/ it had actually been reported before the game itself that this was going to happen. as one of those making the claim it might help if you provided a bit of an argument backing it up rather than going round in circles and really saying nothing at all.

Only what was reported at the time, he supposedly travelled & then told the club he wasn't fit to play. :thup:

Wood for the trees.

Only what was reported at the time, he supposedly travelled & then told the club he wasn't fit to play. :thup:

from what I have read he didn't travel. It had been reported before hand that he was likely to be left out and Kinnear himself said: "I left Shay with [the owner] Mike Ashley, [managing director] Derek Llambias and [his solicitor] Michael Kennedy and the talks went on for a few hours." Sounds pretty obvious to me. I can see why people are pissed off with him leaving, but i don't really see the 'feigning' injury thing. It would be pretty stupid of any manager to play him in that mental state anyway, especially against the side he was wanting to join. I'm not saying anyone is 'evil' as one poster claimed earlier, rather than leaving him out was the sensible thing to do for all concerned - him, us, city.

Ha-Ha about Supermac. If you knew anything about why he left, it's because NUFC at that time wanted the money from Arsenal and like Given - he was left with little alternative but to leave. Someone like Merlin will be able to fill in the gaps for you there if you like. Still, I expect it won't register with you. Ignorance is bliss - especially in your case.

I've heard plenty about 'Supermac' - like how once the alcohilism that took over his life and he was left penniless came back to the only place that was stupid enough to have him.  Spending all his time in the working men's clubs, mooching free ales based on the past and sleeping in the living room of any f***er stupid enough to take him in.  A bit like what he's doing on Century Radio right now really.

And if you really blinkered enough think that Given had no alternative than to leave his beloved club in the way he did then you're clearly the one showing ignorance.

Tell you what - the bitterness and spite that is present within those couple of paragraphs (and your previous post) shines through like a beacon. Well done. :thup:

I bet Christmas is a real blast in your house.  :rolleyes:

Guest toonlass

I think it was very telling what Shay said in his press conference "They made me do things I didn't want to do"

What you mean his job that he gets paid truck loads for? That at the end of the day is a game, no one lives or dies by it.

I am really not sure how you picked that up. But to me Shay would of left in the summer but as the man himself says they wanted the money instead of keeping one of better players.

"There are a couple of things they could have done to keep me, but I think in the end they just wanted to take the money.

“I just felt that after the service I gave the club, then the regime at Newcastle could have handled the whole thing a bit better.”

“They made me do things I didn’t want to do"

Well maybe his lawyer shouldn't have leaked stuff to the press about him wanting to leave then.

Refresh my memory post what was leaked

I was at the Liverpool game & to me it seemed Shay was at breaking poin then.

From Jan 2nd

In a remarkable development, the Donegal native's lawyer, Michael Kennedy, has released a statement declaring that his client is fed up with Newcastle's off-field and on-field problems, and that he will mull over his options this winter.

"Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend," read Kennedy's letter, which was reprinted in The Daily Mail.

"It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

"When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

"Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham."

& yet it was almost another 4 weeks before he grew some balls & asked for a transfer.  I wonder why. ???

Who knows, only 4 weeks previous on the 7th December he said to the Telegraph "I wouldn't want to leave Newcastle anyway, I'm very happy where I'm at." It seems like he backtracks on a monthly basis based on that.

On the other hand it might have something to do with his loyalty bonus, and him realising that he wouldn't be allowed to leave Newcastle in January unless he relinquished it and asked for a transfer.

Given stuck with us while we were s*** for a number of years, i reckon that counts more than leaving half way through a season. i cant really blame any players for requesting a transfer while we're being ran by you know who. And it is better than giving up half way through a season and wasting a space in the side that a more productive player couldve filled, which is basically what Owen did. as for Bellamy, i quite like him, just which it had been Souness who got thrown out instead.

what about if they play snidey tricks to engineer a move before putting in a transfer request kust to drag as much money as possible out of a club dying on its arse.

for those that say he owed us nowt you seem to forget he was bloody well played ands stayed all those years as he was not offered better terms from elsewhere.

Owen is the main reason,IMHO,we are in the position we are in now.Had we not put all of our transfer eggs in his basket,we could have strengthened the squad properly and wouldn't have come close to relegation.Having said that,that isn't the little bastards faulf,more Shepherd and Souness'.But his complete lack of interest last season,Owen's that is,will never be forgotten by me,at least.

f***ing amazing how refs seem to extend time for Man U. Needs looking into as it's a f***ing joke.

Can't stand either club but this is f***ing well dodgy!

They are all in Fergie's pocket(scared of him) and they favour Man U - always have done.

Ha-Ha about Supermac. If you knew anything about why he left, it's because NUFC at that time wanted the money from Arsenal and like Given - he was left with little alternative but to leave. Someone like Merlin will be able to fill in the gaps for you there if you like. Still, I expect it won't register with you. Ignorance is bliss - especially in your case.

I've heard plenty about 'Supermac' - like how once the alcohilism that took over his life and he was left penniless came back to the only place that was stupid enough to have him.  Spending all his time in the working men's clubs, mooching free ales based on the past and sleeping in the living room of any f***er stupid enough to take him in.  A bit like what he's doing on Century Radio right now really.

And if you really blinkered enough think that Given had no alternative than to leave his beloved club in the way he did then you're clearly the one showing ignorance.

He is NOT showing 'ignorance', and for you to bring up Macdonald's off-field problems - which occurred long after he left SJP - is simply avoiding the basis of the discussion. The club DID want the money for Macdonald and Gordon Lee wasn't sorry to see him leave because he didn't like star individuals ; also, Macdonald, like Given, knew that the club were always going to be held back by the low ambitions of the board which is why he agreed to the move.

Lee wanted the money(and more)to replace him with Trevor Francis, but as usual, the board refused to pay more and Francis eventually went to Forest and Brian Clough.

The issue on this thread is relating Supermac and Given as being 'ungrateful' or 'disloyal' to NUFC - you , and many other fans, are going to face a lot of disappointment if you think footballers are strong in the loyalty dept., but in both cases, the club had their money's worth out of these players and the club were happy to take the cash - stop treating NUFC as if it was some wonderful institution that is never wrong ; its so childish and reflects a head-in-the-sand attitude.

I wouldn't blame Given for wanting to leave, but he could and should have waited till the end of the season, instead of agitating for a move when the club were in trouble.

He left half way because if he'd waited until the end of the season, another keeper might have become available to City and he'd have missed his chance.

Given showed his class again today, even allowing 4 goals.  Made some really good saves.

It does make you wonder how he didn't know where Owen would put that ball when he scored. Owen only shoots with one foot, so the angle would only have been where he put it yet he fell backwards as Owen shot.

Do you think he might not have been paying attention in three years of training at Darsley Park?

And its hard to work out who I detest the most Given or Owen.

Cracking goal by Bellamy though.

For me, working out who I detest more comes down to what I wish for that player:

Given - I hope he ends up trophyless after a few years of being a nearly-man until finally replaced by a superstar keeper City can clearly afford.

Owen - I hope he breaks both legs, and then after coming back from that does an ACL.

So clearly I detest Owen more :lol: