Michael Bridges retires

Thespence

The former England Under-21 striker Michael Bridges has signed with Australia's Newcastle Jets for the rest of the 2009-10 A-League season.

The 31-year-old striker, who has previously played for Leeds United and Hull City in England before enjoying a stint on loan at Sydney FC, agreed terms with the club following a successful trial.

"I was excited when I got the phone call a week ago to come out here as I was on my way to Portugal and I did a U-turn to get out here and to reunite with Branko [Culina] and play with the Jets and obviously in the A-League," said Bridges. "I felt like I've got something to offer but I had to come out here and prove myself. I wasn't just going to walk in here.

"The lads have put my through my paces with the team and it has all been well and good and I am excited to be part of the Jets team."

Him & Fowler both out there now, its like the 90's over there has any club signed Fatduka yet?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/01/michael-bridges-newcastle-jets-a-league

Guest toonlass

I will always remember him for the last minute winner he scored for me in an FA Cup final in a very early version of Championship Manager.   :snod:

:laugh:

Average, injury prone player who lived off one good season with Leeds.

He looked good for Sunderland as well.

I'd say he looked promising at Sunderland rather than good. Was never a regular there was he?

Course he wasn't. But he did have Quinn and Phillips in front of him. I think he was a player who had a lot of potential, good touch, intelligence. Just never recovered from his injury problems.

• 1 year later...

Retired

Former Sunderland and Leeds United striker Michael Bridges has announced his retirement from professional football. The 32-year-old moved to the Newcastle Jets in 2009 and scored six goals in 15 appearances during his first season in Australia but has since struggled with a knee injury.

Always seemed like an honest hard working player. Was unstoppable in that season with Leeds. Shame about all the injuries... And shame he couldn't slot that ball in against Marseille :D