Keegan vs Ashley and Co case settled - KK awarded 2m

Taylor Swift

The main feeling I got from reading the PDF was that KK must be soft in the head to have taken the job in the first place.

Don't bother quoting parts of it then, to back up your statement.

A manager refuses to use YouTube,  a manager who was told he has the final say and didn't, a manager who didn't give up hope of coming back to the club - until NUFC statement saying he will not have final say if he were to return...

..soft in the head aye. :facepalm:

Or else desperate for the cash, of course.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Keegan is totally and utterly vindicated. The messiah has has crown back in my opinion

The owner/charman can rot in hell!

Viva la revolution

The main feeling I got from reading the PDF was that KK must be soft in the head to have taken the job in the first place.

Don't bother quoting parts of it then, to back up your statement.

A manager refuses to use YouTube, a manager who was told he has the final say and didn't, a manager who didn't give up hope of coming back to the club - until NUFC statement saying he will not have final say if he were to return...

..soft in the head aye. :facepalm:

Or else desperate for the cash, of course.

So desperate for the cash he gave up a £3m per year contract to walk out over a loan signing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the flying fuck are you on about man?

Am pleased that KK has won and he can hold his head up high. Since all this began, he has behaved in a dignified way, whilst the club have looked to sully his reputation over the last year or so since this began. It shows for all to see that Newcastle United is being ran by liars who show nothing but contempt for their customers (the fans) This takeover business cannot go through quick enough for me. Get that fat c**t and his cohorts out of the club once and for all. Disgrace the lot of them.

I also hope there are some potential charges to be brought over seeking to curry favour with two agents, if it is illegal. And if this it true and action is taken - that the individuals responsible are duely punished.

Guest sicko2ndbest

This bit sums it up for me

19. Finally, the Club's own witnesses themselves seemed to be unclear as to what was the position as to who would have the final say and we had, and continue to have, real difficulty in understanding the Club's position on this point.

Fucking joke!

Since Keegan seemed only too happy to take the £2m once some small print was pointed out, is it possible that he claimed a huge amount as a leveraging tool so that the report would be published?  i.e. if he wasn't claiming for future earnings then the club could claim there was no reason to publish.  However the report supposedly salvages his reputation, therefore "stigma" is not an issue.

Or was this report always going to be published?

Eh? :lol:

There's a massive fucking section about how it wasn't made clear to Keegan that he wouldn't be in charge of signings. That's the basis of the entire outcome, that Keegan took the job in good faith and was repeatedly misled. Not only that, the club were deliberately lying to the fans (that includes you, I think) and not telling Keegan the 'real' position.

If it wasn't clear -- and it clearly wasn't -- he should have acted on his misgivings and said no before all this bollocks started.

That's what I wish he'd done.

As for being lied to, when have we not been? Freddie was hardly the paragon of Truth and Honesty. KK's told a few porkies in his time, too. It hardly changes anyone's opinion of Ashley, does it? We know he's crap.

Keegan is totally and utterly vindicated. The messiah has has crown back in my opinion

The owner/charman can rot in hell!

Viva la revolution

Its now a HALO

I'm beginning to think you're actually just on the wind up with the over the top Keegan worship. :lol:

Since Keegan seemed only too happy to take the £2m once some small print was pointed out, is it possible that he claimed a huge amount as a leveraging tool so that the report would be published? i.e. if he wasn't claiming for future earnings then the club could claim there was no reason to publish. However the report supposedly salvages his reputation, therefore "stigma" is not an issue.

The report says that both sides requested the findings be published. Why the hell Ashley would want it publishing is beyond me like. Presumably he thought it was going to find in his favour.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Since Keegan seemed only too happy to take the £2m once some small print was pointed out, is it possible that he claimed a huge amount as a leveraging tool so that the report would be published?  i.e. if he wasn't claiming for future earnings then the club could claim there was no reason to publish.  However the report supposedly salvages his reputation, therefore "stigma" is not an issue.

Keegan has come out of this better than he could have imagined

2million is a fair and appropriate sum, based on his contract, and one which the public will be saisfied with as what he is due. The fact that the shambles that is the hierachy of NUFC has been placed on public record is better than he could have ever expected

I am absolutely chuffed for him and the fans. We all wanted the truth, we all secretly knew the truth and we have all been proven correct!

There's a massive f***ing section about how it wasn't made clear to Keegan that he wouldn't be in charge of signings. That's the basis of the entire outcome, that Keegan took the job in good faith and was repeatedly misled. Not only that, the club were deliberately lying to the fans (that includes you, I think) and not telling Keegan the 'real' position.

If it wasn't clear -- and it clearly wasn't -- he should have acted on his misgivings and said no before all this bollocks started.

As for being lied to, when have we not been? Freddie was hardly the paragon of Truth and Honesty. KK's told a few porkies in his time, too. It hardly changes anyone's opinion of Ashley, does it? We know he's crap.

Wow your argument has been reduced to

'..well everybody lies'.

Just give up, its sad that you can't even admit that Keegan was right to walk out.  His contract of employment was trampled over, and he still had hope of a return.  Until the 'final final straw' when they basically said 'fuck you will have no say what so ever if you come back'

Guest sicko2ndbest

There's a massive f***ing section about how it wasn't made clear to Keegan that he wouldn't be in charge of signings. That's the basis of the entire outcome, that Keegan took the job in good faith and was repeatedly misled. Not only that, the club were deliberately lying to the fans (that includes you, I think) and not telling Keegan the 'real' position.

Bollox man.

The hierachy are lying, deceiving, money grabbing tossers. They are never EVER to be trusted again. Keegan knew that this would only blow up again in the future should he back down on this occasion.

The report says that both sides requested the findings be published. Why the hell Ashley would want it publishing is beyond me like. Presumably he thought it was going to find in his favour.

Absolutely, you're right - it's crazy.  Obviously it's a document that can't use emotive language but the general underlying tone is "what the fuck?  are they for real?"

There's a massive fucking section about how it wasn't made clear to Keegan that he wouldn't be in charge of signings. That's the basis of the entire outcome, that Keegan took the job in good faith and was repeatedly misled. Not only that, the club were deliberately lying to the fans (that includes you, I think) and not telling Keegan the 'real' position.

Again, the report says that Keegan didn't think there was any confusion. He took the job expecting to have full control, and the tribunal found that the contract is ambigious, if not clear that as a Premier League manager he would have that right. Again, this is the entire basis of the Keegan win.

The lies don't change my opinion, no. They merely reinforce it, whereas you seem desperate to avoid the issue by pointing at Shepherd for some reason.

Absolutely, you're right - it's crazy.  Obviously it's a document that can't use emotive language but the general underlying tone is "what the fuck?  are they for real?"

Yep. There are a few parts where they blatantly slag the club off for basically trying it on.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Absolutely, you're right - it's crazy.  Obviously it's a document that can't use emotive language but the general underlying tone is "what the f***?  are they for real?"

Yep. There are a few parts where they blatantly slag the club off for basically trying it on.

The bit where they quote MA as saying it was made 'blindingly obvious' to KK at the meeting that he would not have control over transfers, shows what a lying cunt he really is!

One thing for Ashley to take from this is that he needs to get shot of whoever has been advising him about the club and the game because whoever he's taking advice from they've got every decision wrong.

One thing for Ashley to take from this is that he needs to get shot of whoever has been advising him about the club and the game because whoever he's taking advice from they've got every decision wrong.

Considering he's appointed a number of mates and others seemingly on the basis of being their mates, I'd imagine he's just gone about this like he knows what he's doing.

Someone proposed a while ago that self-made millionaires often think they're capable of doing no wrong; I would be tempted to subscribe to this idea with Ashley.

Decent summing up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/oct/02/kevin-keegan-newcastle-united-arbitration-panel

Kevin Keegan's case at Newcastle sheds light on the grubby deals we seldom see

Newcastle's signing of a player as a 'favour' to his agents is reflective of the grimmest whisperings about how football really works

Today's decision by the Premier League's arbitration panel that Kevin Keegan was constructively dismissed at St James' Park in September 2008, and should receive the maximum £2m compensation allowable under his contract, has shone a blinding light on the farcical insides of Mike Ashley's Newcastle United. The key finding of this published judgment, by a legal tribunal including two QCs, is astonishing.

Newcastle United, then a Premier League football club, signed a player on loan, the Uruguayan Ignacio González, whom not one person at the club had ever seen play, as a "favour" to two South American agents. "The loan deal cost the club nearly £1m in wages," the judgment records, "for a player who was not expected to play in the first team."

This is the sort of deal which is rumoured and whispered about in the grimmest conversations about how football really works, yet here it is, advocated by key Newcastle people, including Ashley himself, as a valid way to do business.

Some interpreted Keegan's exit as another walkout by a man with a tendency to flounce, but the judgment vindicates him as a man of pride and principle. As the manager he was not prepared to sanction that signing, which was being urged on him by Dennis Wise, the man Ashley appointed as executive director (football).

The judgment throws up a motley cast of characters arrayed against Keegan, a Newcastle legend as a player and manager, whom Ashley brought back in the hope of reproducing the renaissance of Keegan's first spell. Ashley bought Newcastle then appointed inexperienced people to key positions because, it is said, they were his friends and he trusted them.

Tony Jimenez appears in the judgment to remind us of his short-lived term as vice president (player recruitment). Jeff Vetere, formerly a scout for Real Madrid, Charlton and West Ham, had joined in January 2008 as Newcastle's technical co-ordinator.

The roles of these men combined with Wise, the judgment tells us, into a "structure" which Ashley's people carefully explained to Keegan would be "the continental model" for how to run a football club. The executive director (football) would be on the board and the manager would report to him.

Keegan's argument was that was all very well, but according to the terms on which he took the job, he had the final say on all signings. Then on 30 August 2008, two days before the transfer window closed: "Mr Wise telephoned Mr Keegan and told him that he had a great player for the club to sign, namely Ignacio González."

Keegan found that even Google had no information to impart on González, so Wise told him some footage could be found on YouTube. Keegan looked. "He found that the clips were of poor quality and provided no proper basis for signing a player to a Premier League club," the judgment states. "Moreover, no one at the club had ever seen [González] play."

After that, the judgment records: "Notwithstanding that [Keegan] made it clear not only to Mr Wise but also to Mr Jimenez and to Mr Ashley that he very strongly objected to the signing of Mr González, the club proceeded with the deal. The club did so, according to its witnesses who gave evidence, because it was in the club's commercial interests to do so. The 'commercial interests', according to the club, were that the signing of the player on loan would be a 'favour' to two influential South American agents who would look favourably on the club in the future."

Keegan suggested to the panel that the transfer was "improper and irregular", although the panel found that the club did not pay the agents, and it was not suggested it breached Premier League rules. Most importantly, however, it agreed that Keegan left because he believed, with justification, that his role as Newcastle's manager had been fundamentally undermined with the González deal.

Newcastle, in the detail, put forward an appalling argument. The panel decided that when they appointed Keegan as the manager they did guarantee him the final say on transfers. This conclusion is based partly on what the club itself said in public. The judgment quotes Wise twice, Ashley's first chairman Chris Mort, and Lee Charnley, the club secretary, making press or website statements to that effect.

Yet the club told the tribunal that these statements, that Keegan had the final say, were "simply untrue" and that those officers of the club made them as "nothing more than an exercise in public relations". The panel found that explanation "profoundly unsatisfactory".

Keegan had a contract worth £3m a year, rising to £3.2m then £3.4m for the following seasons. After Newcastle United signed a Uruguayan player whom nobody had seen play, to do a favour to two agents, he walked away. This legal judgment concludes that decision was fully justified, and poses howling questions of Ashley to which, characteristically today, his Newcastle United was making no comment at all.

i think there's a certain sweetness about the fact that this much lauded scouting system and network of contacts ended up being about doing mates favours and scouting players based off grainy youtube compilations. this is the system they were prepared to lose Keegan to protect?  :laugh:

i think there's a certain sweetness about the fact that this much lauded scouting system and network of contacts ended up being about doing mates favours and scouting players based off grainy youtube compilations. this is the system they were prepared to lose Keegan to protect?  :laugh:

you couldnt make it up ;D