Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Birmingham earned a valuable draw in Portugal in their first major European game for 49 years.

And the Blues could have even taken an advantage into the Europa League play-off second leg game after hitting the woodwork three times.

Steven Caldwell headed against the bar from a Jean Beausejour corner in the first half.

Striker Chris Wood hit the post twice, the first from a free-kick and then a header from Chris Burke's delivery.

The Portuguese side made a good start when Mateus da Costa was denied by a well-timed challenge by defender Curtis Davies in the area.

The Premier League side fought back with Davies bringing a good save out of home goalkeeper Elisson, before Caldwell and Wood both struck the woodwork.

Wood struck the post with a header again and then fired an effort across the face of goal.

The Blues came close to snatching victory in the last five minutes when Caldwell headed Beausejour's free-kick a foot over the bar.

:shifty: at the BBC.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Had the honour of watching former toon stalwart Peter Ramage today. Every one of his touches bar none was either a header or a 50 yard punt! Bringing no nonsense defending back into fashion in a big way. Saying that, I may be poking fun at him but he picked up a clean sheet and I had two hours of my life stolen that I'll never get back.