Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Collymore to return.

Stan Collymore claims he is ready to make a bid to return to the Premiership after five years out of football.

The 35-year-old striker has not played since walking out on Spanish side Real Oviedo in March 2001.

But he told the Daily Mirror: "I've had physical tests and I'm confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was.

"A month from today I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country."

Collymore, who played for Crystal Palace, Southend, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Bradford and Real Oviedo, has flown to Tenerife to start a three-week fitness regime.

He insists he has shaken off the personal problems that have affected his career and private life and said: "This time I'm not going to self-destruct.

"You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock. When I retired it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza."

And he insisted: "I went to the World Cup as a punter. I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed but I still believe that I am the best."

:facepalm:

old news!

Collymore to return.

Stan Collymore claims he is ready to make a bid to return to the Premiership after five years out of football.

The 35-year-old striker has not played since walking out on Spanish side Real Oviedo in March 2001.

But he told the Daily Mirror: "I've had physical tests and I'm confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was.

"A month from today I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country."

Collymore, who played for Crystal Palace, Southend, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Bradford and Real Oviedo, has flown to Tenerife to start a three-week fitness regime.

He insists he has shaken off the personal problems that have affected his career and private life and said: "This time I'm not going to self-destruct.

"You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock. When I retired it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza."

And he insisted: "I went to the World Cup as a punter. I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed but I still believe that I am the best."

:facepalm:

Wrong thread. Belongs in 'Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011'.

Big Mal - Former Man Cty manager Malcolm Allison has died,

Malcolm Allison, the coach who helped inspire Manchester City to great success in the late 1960s, has died at the age of 83.

Allison arrived at City in 1965 as assistant manager to Joe Mercer.

City went on to win the Second Division crown in 1966, the League title in 1968, FA Cup in 1969 and European Cup-Winners Cup and League Cup in 1970.

Allison managed 11 clubs at home and abroad, leading Sporting Lisbon to the Portuguese League and Cup in 1982.

He took charge of Crystal Palace on two separate occasions, and also had spells as manager of Bath, Plymouth, Galatasaray, Toronto City, Middlesbrough and Bristol Rovers.

During his playing days, Allison made more than 250 appearances at centre half for West Ham, before losing a lung as the result of tuberculosis in 1958.

"Big Mal" - as he was known - always had an eye for publicity, and was famed for the "Lucky Fedora" he wore during one of Crystal Palace's Cup runs and his love of cigars - but his later years were dogged by ill health.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/9096162.stm

He had a very good reputation as a coach but was a regular failure as a manager. His second spell at Man City set them back many years - in the late 60's and early 70's they were equals to Man Utd but he put paid to that. He always came across as a flash harry who was far too full of himself.

He may well be missed by his nearest and dearest, but all the media hand-wringing feels a bit misplaced.

PS - His record as a manager in England was - Trophies 0, Promotions 0, Relegations 4.

Didn't Barca have something insane like 76% the other week?

They had 56 shots on goal against PAOK.

:lol: They definitely did not.

If he means Panathinaikos, we had just 12 (+8 off goal).

We have 70+ possession against most teams we play. One of the reasons is that nowadays everybody turtles up against us.