Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

fantastic Video title on the top 10 sports videos of the week on the Mail's website of explaining the video of the Salamanca player that collapsed of a heart attack at weekend "Did somebody say sniper" f****** morons  :dowie:

urgh. despicable publication in every way.

Guest palnese

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/28102010/58/premier-league-adam-takes-blackpool-court.html

Blackpool are being taken to court by their own captain Charlie Adam in a row over unpaid bonuses.

Adam claims he is owed £20,000 as part of the contract he signed when joining the Seasiders from Rangers in 2009, according to reports.

The 24-year-old maintains the money was promised if Blackpool escaped relegation from the Championship.

In fact, the club far exceeded expectations and won promotion to the Premier League, for which the squad shared a £5 million bonus pot based on appearances.

However, Adam says he is also due the original £20,000 bonus.

Three other players have made similar claims against the club, and the case will be heard by a Premier League arbitration court in London next Wednesday.

If Adam wins, it would call the validity of his contract into question, raising the possibility he could leave Bloomfield Road for free.

The Scotsman has been a key player for Blackpool this season, contributing to the encouraging start that has seen them pick up three wins from their opening nine games

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/28102010/58/premier-league-adam-takes-blackpool-court.html

Blackpool are being taken to court by their own captain Charlie Adam in a row over unpaid bonuses.

Adam claims he is owed £20,000 as part of the contract he signed when joining the Seasiders from Rangers in 2009, according to reports.

The 24-year-old maintains the money was promised if Blackpool escaped relegation from the Championship.

In fact, the club far exceeded expectations and won promotion to the Premier League, for which the squad shared a £5 million bonus pot based on appearances.

However, Adam says he is also due the original £20,000 bonus.

Three other players have made similar claims against the club, and the case will be heard by a Premier League arbitration court in London next Wednesday.

If Adam wins, it would call the validity of his contract into question, raising the possibility he could leave Bloomfield Road for free.

The Scotsman has been a key player for Blackpool this season, contributing to the encouraging start that has seen them pick up three wins from their opening nine games

why ain't they paying the bonuses its not like blackpool don't have a shit load of prem tv cash coming in now, this sort of thing could hurt them if the players feel unappreciated

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6475828,00.html

Mancini fires drink warning

Roberto Mancini has again hit out at British football's drinking culture after a video of some of his players on a night out appeared on the internet.

The Manchester City manager admitted earlier this month that he could not understand why players drink after a game, urging the men in his squad to always 'behave well' for the good of their careers.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6475828,00.html

Mancini fires drink warning

Roberto Mancini has again hit out at British football's drinking culture after a video of some of his players on a night out appeared on the internet.

The Manchester City manager admitted earlier this month that he could not understand why players drink after a game, urging the men in his squad to always 'behave well' for the good of their careers.

Man City fan at College said Adam Johnson was left out of the squad a lot due to drink.

Click on this link - the fourth reply is where it starts to get interesting, I defy you not to laugh out loud when you realise what this dim Burnley idiot did: http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2119701869&page=1

:lol:

Reminds me of someone who posted a screenshot to show off their wallpaper without realising one of the folders on their desktop was called "shemale vids"

The number of black managers in English professional football has doubled – to a grand total of two – after it was announced on Thursday that Paul Ince would be taking over at Notts County. With Chris Hughton in charge at Newcastle, that is two out of 92 clubs in the four top divisions who currently employ a non‑white manager to steer their team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/31/black-football-managers

Can it be a coincidence that both teams play in black and white stripes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/oct/30/punditry-match-of-the-day

Why punditry is a game the English cannot win

- Failing to stay away from cliches on Norwegian television has given me a new found respect for Alan Shearer

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2010/10/29/1288367008665/Unlike-their-English-coun-006.jpg

Unlike their English counterparts, Norweigan pundits have heard of Hatem Ben Arfa.

Throughout the recent swell of public harrumphing over the quality and content of Match of the Day – and specifically its punditry – I have found the experience of watching the show increasingly awkward, and even a little heart-rending. Alan Shearer was rightly called to account for suggesting nobody knows anything about the widely known-about French international Hatem Ben Arfa. But you sense the criticism stung. A programme that posits the notion of leonine alpha-male big beasts of the suburban conservatory sharing tobacco-smooth post-snifter badinage – not even behind a desk, but right out in front on the crotch-fanning plinth of the low-slung sofa – suddenly became noticeably stiff‑backed and taut, its banter infused with fresh levels of glazed menace.

As a viewer I too may have occasionally found Shearer over-reliant on cliche, perhaps lacking in forensic skills, emitting – if you really insist on saying it – through a lantern-jawed rictus his clenched put-puttering of gaseous think-spurts. But now I know now that these are uncharitable thoughts. I know this because last week I made my own competitive debut as a jobbing one-off live TV pundit (of a sort) on Norway's TV2 channel. It was, on the whole, an unsettling experience, one that made me sympathise a great deal with Shearer and anybody else exposed to the unblinking disintegrator ray of the TV camera lens.

I did learn a lot. The first thing I learnt was why football pundits wear those shirts. You know those shirts: dandy-ishly stitched, nipple-clamp tight, glimmering with nightclub sheen and always verging towards a peaty deep maroon. It turns out TV cameras demand dark shirts. It also turns out if you try to buy a dark shirt the selection on offer tends to go a certain way.

Emerging from Gatwick duty free with my own brand-new silky-black hip-hugging tunic I duly felt a sense of having crossed some invisible line of initiation. I had a pundit shirt.

When it came to the business of actually passing comment on live Premier League matches I only had one plan: not to use cliches. This was my sole ambition. To at least be dull and pedestrian in a way that seemed natural and unstilted.

Disgorged at Bergen airport, ferried across town, urgently powdered and de-shined, I found myself arranged around the illuminated table alongside TV2's Jon Hartvig Børrestad, Morten Langli, and Aleksander Schau. Before long the moment duly arrived and I opened my mouth to speak. "To be fair it's a game both teams want to win." Moments later I was back: "It's a red letter day for the blue half of Merseyside as they take on Harry Redknapp's north London charmers." And so it went on. Two banks of four. Playing a high line. This stuff, it appears, is just in there, waiting to fill the empty space. By the end I'd adopted a new tactic of delivering my cliches with a simpering smile and a coy incline of the head, hoping to imply somehow that I was using cliches artfully, conferring some ironically-couched deeper meaning behind the cliche. And you know what? I really think that came across.

It turns out there is only one way to be good at TV punditry. You need to be pumped and prepped to the eyelids. You've got to be riffing, noodling and belching football. My studio companions really were very good: passionate, not just about football, but about knowing about football. They spat illuminating stats, they interjected song lyrics amusingly. They frightened you out of your torpor. They appeared to know, not just about Ben Arfa, but about the assorted personnel of the Spanish and Italian leagues as well as the private habits of Marcus Hahnemann (doesn't brush his teeth before a game, apparently).

Of course, they had several advantages. Norwegians still love English football with an inherited passion that is itself rooted in TV: the first English match televised there was in 1961; the Norway team didn't get a full live televised game until 1992. Secondly, Scandinavians are, geographically and culturally, the world's in-house nerds: intelligent, sombre, pale, wised-up, sardonic, often to be found indoors. Finally, these professional broadcasters were all professional journalists, too: career information-hoarders, lifetime stat-mongers and detail-ferrets, reliably neurotic and competitive in their amiable one-upmanship.

This is perhaps a point of distinction. English pundits are almost exclusively ex-players. This confers obvious advantages: ex-players know what it takes to win at football. But being able to communicate this under pressure is an entirely separate skill, one that needs to be honed and worked at. In England there is a sense that simply "being" ex-international centre-forward Trevor Sprockington is enough, that Trevor Sprockington's opinions will have weight simply by means of their provenance. Tied to this is English football's enduring distrust of wider learning, academia, abstract thought and anything that suggests acquired and theoretical knowledge.

Struggling uphill into the teeth of these twin cyclones, it is hardly Shearer's fault if at times he seems a little exposed. Norwegian TV turned out to be quite instructive. The suggestion is that just turning up and being yourself in a shirt may not actually be enough. Not when it makes watching you hard work – or at least like hard work not done.

I tried to read that article above, but that first paragraph just annoyed the hell out of me. Read the headline, read the first and last paragraph and I'm still to know exactly what the point of that piece is.

I tried to read that article above, but that first paragraph just annoyed the hell out of me. Read the headline, read the first and last paragraph and I'm still to know exactly what the point of that piece is.

That's because you're too lazy to read it.