Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Napoli given 2 point deduction and few players given various bans for match fixing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20769692

so the only wrong Napoli did was employ a guy who unsuccessfully attempted to fix a match (with the club having no knowledge of said attempt) and the players who told him to get lost over it got 6 month bans for failing to report it?

Seems a tad harsh

Not sure if it's been mentioned but just caught the end of the news on the radio which said that all 20 PL chairmen have agreed clubs need to break even and a possible introduction of some sort of cap on wages? Apparently set to meet again in Febraury to discuss it in more detail.

It's the "banter" comments I'm referring to. People just can't understand why using a word referring to a group of people in a negative sense is wrong. Besides, the FA have already set a precedent when they fined Macheda.

I agree; Some clearly don't see certain terms as quite as offensive as others do, though it's a hazy line in many ways.

Paki, Jap, and going to the chinkies etc were only fairly recently dropped from what was classed as acceptable. Though they're in essence just country names, somehow the negative connotations have removed them from what is widely classed as acceptable.

Spaz, mong, and flid are still terms used widely in banter, but I really struggle with them, and I'm not sure why really. 

Taff? Jock? Acceptable or not? :shifty:

'Chinky' is a slur based on Asian people having 'slit eyes' rather than a shortening of China.

Ah, you may well be right. :lol: ...but may I refer you to the venerable Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink

A number of dictionaries have provided different suggestions as to the origin of chink. Some of these suggestions are that it originated from the Chinese courtesy ching-ching,[3] or that it evolved from the word China,[4] or that it was an alteration of Qing,[5] as in the Qing Dynasty (Ch'ing Dynasty), or that the word evolved from the other meaning of chink, which is a small crevice, crack, gap or a narrow opening, being a simile for small or slanted eyes. (Sometimes, the word is indeed employed as an adjective, as in chink-eyed.)[6]

The most obvious etymology is chink evolved from the Indo-Iranian word for China, that word now having similar pronunciations in various European languages, such as Persian.[7] And that the Indo-Iranian and hence European name for China is an alteration of the Chinese name Qin, which has recurred in Chinese history a number of times, including the name of the western kingdom, which took over the rest to form the first Empire. This was the first time the name had been seen, and now it is a very common family name in China and Vietnam (Cheng, Trinh, and similar). Because it is a very common family name, it is impossible to trace it back to any specific time place or person, and the lack of evidence for the coining of the term in English (or any other European language) is therefore not unusual. It is possible that word was imported into Indo-European as the name of the Qin state.

Not that Wiki means much, I grant you.

Why is country shortening such a bad thing in English? It isn't the case in Spanish. Still remember the cold looks when I said "Paki" in my first vacation in England.

I understand stuff like "Jap" has baggage from WWII, but the others?

It really is quite bizarre, but basically come down to the point where if enough people use a name in a negative way, then the name itself becomes a term of abuse.

Paki being the easiest way to refer to Pakistanis (and ultimately any south asian person), was used more in a derogatory manner and in hate speech rather than perfectly innocent ways (due in large part to increased immigration into the country), so became connected with racists, casual or otherwise.

Hell even personal names can get tarred. I wonder if Joey is becoming an acceptable baby name again? :lol:

It's the "banter" comments I'm referring to. People just can't understand why using a word referring to a group of people in a negative sense is wrong. Besides, the FA have already set a precedent when they fined Macheda.

I agree; Some clearly don't see certain terms as quite as offensive as others do, though it's a hazy line in many ways.

Paki, Jap, and going to the chinkies etc were only fairly recently dropped from what was classed as acceptable. Though they're in essence just country names, somehow the negative connotations have removed them from what is widely classed as acceptable.

Spaz, mong, and flid are still terms used widely in banter, but I really struggle with them, and I'm not sure why really. 

In the real world i don't know anyone who doesn't refer to a chinese takeaway as a chinkies or a corner shop as a paki shop (including the Indian owner of my local corner shop who is the most racist person towards pakistanis i've ever encountered, hates them with a passion).

Why is country shortening such a bad thing in English? It isn't the case in Spanish. Still remember the cold looks when I said "Paki" in my first vacation in England.

Australian cricket commentators on tv always refer to the pakistani team as pakis.

Australian cricket commentators on tv always refer to the pakistani team as pakis.

Not sure Australian cricket commentators are the best source for inspiration on race relations.

sp**, mong, and flid are still terms used widely in banter, but I really struggle with them, and I'm not sure why really. 

In the real world i don't know anyone who doesn't refer to a chinese takeaway as a chinkies or a corner shop as a paki shop (including the Indian owner of my local corner shop who is the most racist person towards pakistanis i've ever encountered, hates them with a passion).

Everybody you know says that? That's a bit weird.

Think i got stuck with this 'cliffy' character on the way back from Bruges. Oh my days what a fucking lunatic. Spotted us in Brussels train station and literally wouldnt stop chatting shit to us all the way back to Holland, he kept telling us he'd been yarked by a group of lads in Brussels as his face was all fucked. Didnt even have a ticket for the train but managed to get to Amsterdam. Ran away from him in the end.

Amazes me how these people actually manage to find their way to SJP never mind fucking Belgium.