Newcastle United 0 - 0 Bristol City - 03/10/09 - post match reaction from page 9

Nate

Guest toonlass

we need to go two big strikers and get on with it, ...its shit or bust for me.

We need someone who can make things happen at this level. Needn't be a world-beater, just someone with a bit of craft.

Someone like Chopra?

We need someone who can make things happen at this level. Needn't be a world-beater, just someone with a bit of craft.

agree , said exactly this to gimp at the ground today.

jonas should, but he simply can fuking not pass the ball.

Someone like Chopra?

Not really. He's more of a finisher, we need a creative player imo.

Someone who can sit behind the strikers in the gap and link things up and pick a pass out. 

Guest toonlass

Someone like Chopra?

Someone who can sit behind the strikers in the gap and link things up and pick a pass out. 

Was saying exactly that to my mate in the game today.

Someone like Chopra?

or a right-winger for a bit of balance. doesn't have to be great, someone like Wayne Routledge looks excellent in this division.

We need to go with the diamond in my opinion. I don't think we need a playmaker or anything, i'm quite satisfied with our central midfield options (the wing is another matter, hence my suggestion we don't use them). The problem we have, is that we only play our most influential players to their strengths when we're forced into it, like against Ipswich. Carroll and Harewood upfront with either Lovenkrands or Nolan at the head of the diamond is the best way we need to go if you ask me. If we're going to go 4-4-2 with two big men upfront, we need our wingers to be on the ball with their delivery and they're just not.

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

Smith

Taylor            Guthrie

Nolan/Loven

Carroll            Harewood

That's the best we can put out in my opinion, if we want to play our players to their strenghts. The only player that's seemingly in an alien position there is Ryan Taylor - but he perfected that hassling/harrying role perfectly against Ipswich, and got up and down in the same way he would do if he was out on the wing. Plus, his end product(which has substantially improved since that start of the season, bar a minor blip today) is invaluable.

Evander Sno was their best player today IMO

Really?

I thought he was quite poor.

I was amazed to see his name on the back of the programme and also to realise he is only 22 (if wiki is correct)

Someone like Chopra?

or a right-winger for a bit of balance. doesn't have to be great, someone like Wayne Routledge looks excellent in this division.

That's another option.  :thup:

Getting around the back of packed defences with a bit of raw pace is sometimes easier than threading a ball. Thought Routledge was fantastic for QPR on Wednesday and he was one of the best players I've seen at this level this season.

Aye totally agree with Johnnypd. The only thing that's fundamentally wrong with our 4-4-2 is the lop-sided midfield, purely down to the fact we don't have two out-and-out wingers. And if Jonas is off the boil at the same time, it fucks up our entire rhythm. So whilst we don't have two wingers - diamond ftw. :pow:

FWIW, Basso is supposed to be the best keeper in the division. Wasn't he linked with an England call-up last season?

Dean Gerken was in net for them today.

No he wasn't, Gerken was named on the bench by the announcer...

FWIW, Basso is supposed to be the best keeper in the division. Wasn't he linked with an England call-up last season?

:nope:

Guest toonlass

Gerkin played

Basso got injured in the warm-up according to the beeb, Gerken was definitely in goal today