Newcastle United 0 - 0 Bristol City - 03/10/09 - post match reaction from page 9

Nate

Guest neesy111

I thought it was a cast iron pen like, but a mate of mine who's both a bristol and Newcastle fan thought it wasn't which makes me wonder if it's just me being biased.

Which one? the Harewood? I was a bit iffy about that like, that's the 'at a stretch' one.

But there was a blatant handball in the first half right infront of us, but you could have punched the linesman on our side with a double decker bus and he'd probably have missed it.

the harewood 1 is the clearest penalty i've seen in my life, harewood dinked it past him and then got clattered, clear penalty

One thing that strikes me is that we aren't getting any late winners. The last time we went up from this division we grabbed quite a few points at the death and Sunderland also did it regularly with Roy Keane when they got promoted. Generally it's the mark of a winning team and with our clean sheets we have set ourselves nicely to deliver a couple of last gasp winners but it hasn't happened. Maybe it will as the season goes on.

Guest toonlass

Just got in and these are my thoughts on the game.

Jonas was awful. Couldn't looked like he cared any less if he had just sat on the grass the whole time he was on the pitch.

Alan Smith was the definitely man of the match and the complete opposite of Jonas.

Their keeper made a couple of terrific saves.

We desperately need a creative midfielder who can create some chances for the lads up front.

The referee was horrendous. The boos at the end were for the ref, not the team.

Our fans were really poor in places. Their fans were the best away fans we have had this season.

I'll tell you something, Khiza....Khiza....that Geogian lad impressed me today. Barely put a foot wrong, was always cleaning up and making some decent passes and play. Was just behind Smith as one of the best on the pitch, and I didn't think I'd EVER being saying that.

Guthrie's confidence is shot to shit now. He was bloody awful again, and looked dejected when he was taken off. Lovenkrands was better than I've seen from him so far this season. Still streets away from last like.

Guest neesy111

We hit them on the break a few times and our forwad passes were shockng, sending our players wide or playing the bal behind them stopping the attack.

very true

our players try to play directly at each other and not in front of players, and that cause's good move's to break down at times

Also, why don't we operate a multiball system? Because the club insist on giving 4 year olds the chance to be ball boys and ball girls if it goes further than the advertising hoards it takes a bloody age for the ball to the hands of the throw in taker/goalkeeper and the only team it seems to have a detrimental effect on is us.

There was at the Gallowgate End today.

Guest Heneage

We really need an option on the wing, when we line up with that midfield it's bloody obvious where the balls going.

Poor performance today, very complacent passing like they simply assumed they'd win rather than actually having to work for it.

The ref was abysmal too, consistently made the wrong decisions throughout the game. 

Guest sicko2ndbest

were there any anti ashley chants

Sporadic ones, not that loud

we are letting the fat bastard get away with it

43000 ticket prices in his back pocket

Poor performance today, very complacent passing like they simply assumed they'd win rather than actually having to work for it.

The ref was abysmal too, consistently made the wrong decisions throughout the game. 

Seems to be a consistent theme this season from your players.

Guest Phil K

Unlike last year, we aren't giving AWAY late winners to the opposition.

No, we aren't getting late winners, but keeping it tight (apart from the dismal Blackpool game) is three quarters there.

Just got in. That was a very frustrating day. I wouldn't say it was the disgrace of a performance that a few seem to be saying; it wasn't particularly good but we did stuff 'em, only without putting the ball in the net. Hence the title adjective being 'frustrating'.

A lot of players were gash today and this whole square-peg-round-holes business is starting to chisel away at our previously good performances. Simpson was poor in his alien position, so was Guthrie, and i'd still call Nolan a withdrawn 'striker', rather than a dead centre-mid.

We were just wasteful today. We did enough to beat Bristol quite comfortably (the fact that we never, ever looked like conceding - despite a bit of a mistmatch piecing together of an eleven - is a big positive), but we just didn't, cos we wasted our chances infront of goal. The crossbar incident was just madness - i've never seen anything like that before. Then there was Guthrie's point blank volley which was just a joke of a miss. Then there was Nolan's header which was superbly saved then the obvious stone-waller of a penalty.

To say we had no cohesion and any sort of footballing nouse is an exaggeration, cos there was the odd spell where we put some really good play together and had Bristol on the backfoot.

All in all, we've wasted a big chance to put half a foot in the Premier League, but we're still five points clear of the danger zone and we've got a couple weeks now to rest our clearly fatigued squad.

I was sat in the very back row of the Gallowgate today, and the noise and atmosphere was quite good despite the rather inept performance and totally shite decisions from the officials. Shame, as Bristol were nowt flash - they came set up for a point and they got it. Fair play to them really, they worked harder and although they created nowt, they limited our chances, although our aimless passing and lack of communication (- Jonas, Lovenkrands, Ryan Taylor and Nolan being prime culprits) really didn't help our case for three points.

Harper 6 - largely untroubled

Simpson 6 - fine

S.Taylor 7 - good

Zurab 8 - outstanding

R.Taylor 5 - average but loses an extra point for awful set pieces

Nolan 5 - slow on the ball

Smith 8 - excellent throughout

Jonas 3 - full of shit

Guthrie 6 - mixed bag

Harewood 5 - hit a post and did very little else, should have had a pen though

Lovenkrands 5 - pretty much bugger all

Carroll 6 - put in a shift

Ranger 5 - not enough time to really affect the game

Referee 3 - totally shit throughout

Our fans 6 - Gallowgate and Milburn stands loud in patches

Their fans 5 - heard them one or two times. Didn't have much to shout about in fairness

The passing today was of two varieties - through the overcrowded middle before a loose pass eventually lost us possesion, or hoofed over the top for Harewood to chase (of which he never won, or flicked on) and then for a goal kick, or for the fucking shit ref to give a Bristol freekick.

The penalty decision looked a disgrace, Harewood cut back inside and the player caught his leg with the ball nowhere near, from where I was it looked like a total stonewaller. The ref failed to spot tons of handballs or deflections and his linesmen were equally as useless. However, I can't blame the officials that much as the team by and large were awful, barring Harewood's hitting of the post and two good saves in a minute from their goalie. The team really needs to pick themselves up from this and start to try - a number of times Smith was left to track two or three runners from the Bristol midfield as (sometimes) Guthrie and (nearly always) Nolan lagged behind.

A poor performance saved by the equivalent result between WBA and Preston.

Guest toonlass

I was sat in the very back row of the Gallowgate today, and the noise and atmosphere was quite good despite the rather inept performance and totally shite decisions from the officials. Shame, as Bristol were nowt flash - they came set up for a point and they got it. Fair play to them really, they worked harder and although they created nowt, they limited our chances, although our aimless passing and lack of communication (- Jonas, Lovenkrands, Ryan Taylor and Nolan being prime culprits) really didn't help our case for three points.

Harper 6 - largely untroubled

Simpson 6 - fine

S.Taylor 7 - good

Zurab 8 - outstanding

R.Taylor 5 - average but loses an extra point for awful set pieces

Nolan 5 - slow on the ball

Smith 8 - excellent throughout

Jonas 3 - full of shit

Guthrie 6 - mixed bag

Harewood 5 - hit a post and did very little else, should have had a pen though

Lovenkrands 5 - pretty much bugger all

Carroll 6 - put in a shift

Ranger 5 - not enough time to really affect the game

Referee 3 - totally shit throughout

Our fans 6 - Gallowgate and Milburn stands loud in patches

Their fans 5 - heard them one or two times. Didn't have much to shout about in fairness

The passing today was of two varieties - through the overcrowded middle before a loose pass eventually lost us possesion, or hoofed over the top for Harewood to chase (of which he never won, or flicked on) and then for a goal kick, or for the fucking shit ref to give a Bristol freekick.

The penalty decision looked a disgrace, Harewood cut back inside and the player caught his leg with the ball nowhere near, from where I was it looked like a total stonewaller. The ref failed to spot tons of handballs or deflections and his linesmen were equally as useless. However, I can't blame the officials that much as the team by and large were awful, barring Harewood's hitting of the post and two good saves in a minute from their goalie. The team really needs to pick themselves up from this and start to try - a number of times Smith was left to track two or three runners from the Bristol midfield as (sometimes) Guthrie and (nearly always) Nolan lagged behind.

A poor performance saved by the equivalent result between WBA and Preston.

You are kidding about that aren't you? The milburn stand was dead today, we heard the Gallowgate once or twice. Our atmosphere on the whole was flat as a fart. Their fans were more vocal than any other set of away fans up here all season.

Guest toonlass

The Bristol lot made very little noise. The Gallowgate today was class bearing in mind what a naff performance it was.

If you say so.

were there any anti ashley chants

Sporadic ones, not that loud

we are letting the fat b****** get away with it

43000 ticket prices in his back pocket

Oh man, just fucking shut up.

As if he gives a fuck what the fans chant at him.

The Bristol lot made very little noise. The Gallowgate today was class bearing in mind what a naff performance it was.

If you say so.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the noisiest it's ever been. But bearing in mind there was fuck all to shout about bar a few moments in the second half, I thought it was alright today.

Where were you sat, out of interest? I was quite far away from the Bristol fans so that may account to why I only heard them a couple times.

Guest toonlass

If you say so.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the noisiest it's ever been. But bearing in mind there was fuck all to shout about bar a few moments in the second half, I thought it was alright today.

Where were you sat, out of interest? I was quite far away from the Bristol fans so that may account to why I only heard them a couple times.

Singing corner, which was piss poor today, apart from about 10 minutes in the second half.