Newcastle United 0 - 0 Bristol City - 03/10/09 - post match reaction from page 9

Nate

Thanks guys. Very surprising. Really like Loven and Harewood upfront with Butt on the bench and Guthrie and Jonas on the pitch. Can't believe we haven't put in at least three!!! Hope Hughton at least gives this lineup a chance to gel. Could be really good I reckon.

We've hit post, hit bar twice apparently, had a clear pen denied. Not been our day, performance first half was woeful though.

Two matches at home and one goal. You make your own luck in this game and if you can't do it over 90mins it's no use looking for anyone else to blame.

Just got back, disappointing and confused how we didn't win. From where i was it looked a stone wall pen ( but i'm in level 7). Carroll needs to start with Harewood  with Ranger or Lovenkrands coming on as impact subs. Some wayward passing from many players and Guthrie has really took a dive in form. Are fans are canny fickle like booing at FT, were top of the league FFS.

This international break has came just in time IYAM.

Special mention to their GK, he made some outstanding saves.

Guest Phil K

Two matches at home and one goal. You make your own luck in this game and if you can't do it over 90mins it's no use looking for anyone else to blame.

Agreed. The ref made some imbecilic and infuriating decisions, but bottom line is we should have won this with ease, it's got to be down to players and manager, not the ref.

I thought the boos were for the ref?

They were. Disappointed grumblings from the fans until the pillock and one of the linesmen walked into range.

Hit the, hit the bar pen not given, some goos saves by thier keeper some shocking football by us. Shit game we should have won, wrong starting 11, in the wrong positions.

Still top lets not cry just yet eh.

Guest icemanblue

Worst referee I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

As soon as Harewood hit the post in the first ten minutes you just knew it wasn't going to be our day. I'm a massive Jonas bummer but he just wasn't interested today, pulling out of tackles everywhere, loose passes, and no tracking back. Saving himself for the internationals, I bet.

Their keeper made some brilliant saves but we were our own worst enemy. Lack of end product again and again.  Feels like a loss, but I won't be slitting my wrists just yet.

Any word on Jose, btw?

Guthrie should NEVER play outwide, Jonas is a soft cunt that needs to STAY ON HIS FEET, Carroll is NOTas good as he thinks he is, Smith SHOULD be our Captain full time, how can a NON starter be Captain?  Iys nice to have cover at the back, we seem okay'ish in that depaertment, Nolan need to play advanced all the time or he is a waste of a starting place, Harewod is so unfit its shocking Lovleypants needs to be interested for 90 mins not just when it suits.

Absolutely atrocious display. No cohesion, no skill, no pace, no f***ing anything like a football team should be showing. Pathetic.

And we still should have won 3-0, which makes it even worse.

A tad harsh I reckon. they were bloody unlucky.

I was disgusted with Jonas' performance. Has he been picked for Argentina, because he was playing like he didn't want to get involved? He was Robertesque in his laziness but without the edge of quality about him. He did provide one good moment of comedy when Guthrie opted to take a short corner and give the ball to him, cue a collective groan go up around Level 7.

It tells you everything you need to know about this league that we played so poorly yet still looked the better side. We had a handful of really good chances and their keeper kept them in it. On another day it could've been 3 or 4 nil.

The ref was shite too, but you all know that.

Guthrie should NEVER play outwide, Jonas is a soft c*** that needs to STAY ON HIS FEET, Carroll is NOTas good as he thinks he is, Smith SHOULD be our Captain full time, how can a NON starter be Captain?  Iys nice to have cover at the back, we seem okay'ish in that depaertment, Nolan need to play advanced all the time or he is a waste of a starting place, Harewod is so unfit its shocking Lovleypants needs to be interested for 90 mins not just when it suits.

I thought we looked better with Carroll than without him, we should have made changes at half time and should not have waited until the 85th minute to bring Ranger on.

I was amazed when Bristol had a throw in with minutes to go and Hughton picked up the ball and dropped it behind him which meant it took longer to get the ball back into play.

Guthrie should NEVER play outwide, Jonas is a soft cunt that needs to STAY ON HIS FEET, Carroll is NOTas good as he thinks he is, Smith SHOULD be our Captain full time, how can a NON starter be Captain?  Iys nice to have cover at the back, we seem okay'ish in that depaertment, Nolan need to play advanced all the time or he is a waste of a starting place, Harewod is so unfit its shocking Lovleypants needs to be interested for 90 mins not just when it suits.

Very harsh on Carroll. Thanks to him we created more in the last 20+ minutes than we had the rest of the game.

Guthrie should NEVER play outwide, Jonas is a soft c*** that needs to STAY ON HIS FEET, Carroll is NOTas good as he thinks he is, Smith SHOULD be our Captain full time, how can a NON starter be Captain?  Iys nice to have cover at the back, we seem okay'ish in that depaertment, Nolan need to play advanced all the time or he is a waste of a starting place, Harewod is so unfit its shocking Lovleypants needs to be interested for 90 mins not just when it suits.

I thought we looked better with Carroll than without him, we should have made changes at half time and should not have waited until the 85th minute to bring Ranger on.

I was amazed when Bristol had a throw in with minutes to go and Hughton picked up the ball and dropped it behind him which meant it took longer to get the ball back into play.

They had a freekick late on too and Simpson did not give them the ball he picked it up then dropped it and left it, I was livid. As for Carroll yes we did look better with him on but I feel he thinks he is a great player, he had a great chance to play Nolan in and chose to shoot and look for goal of the year.

Gonna take my post from the QPR game and just adapt it slightly:

Call it kneejerk, call it ridiculous, I don't frankly care but some of the play today was utterly pathetic.

There was no sense of urgency and the finishing in the final third was w***.

I mean christ, at 0-0 with 20 minutes to go, at home against an average Championship side, why were we hitting no-hopers up to Carroll and Harewood? We have the quality to pass better than the opposition and play with a bit of movement in this league, not this long ball s****; we were hardly under the cosh. After Harewood's goal, there was only one winner in this.

We may not have lost, but we certainly didn't deserve to win.

But don't worry ey, as long as we win on Saturday....

A period where we should have taken 6 points, at least 4, hell I would have taken 3, we've got just two.

If we don't win games like this, we won't go up automatically. That's that really.

The villians? I've never been as frustrated with him before, but Jonas was utter utter balls today. And the man that ruined the game for us goes to the bastard in the middle.

Nee offence PM but they should do with referees what they do with horses, take this fucker round the back and shoot him after a performance like that. There was at least a penalty amongst that lot today, possibly two at a stretch. And he seemed to think that the opposition were allowed to handle the ball whenever they felt like it.

I thought it was a cast iron pen like, but a mate of mine who's both a bristol and Newcastle fan thought it wasn't which makes me wonder if it's just me being biased.

Which one? the Harewood? I was a bit iffy about that like, that's the 'at a stretch' one.

But there was a blatant handball in the first half right infront of us, but you could have punched the linesman on our side with a double decker bus and he'd probably have missed it.

Guest neesy111

shocking first half

shud of won 3-0 2nd half tbh

worst referee and officials i've ever seen, should be sacked on the spot

carroll should start every game, caused all kinds of problems when he came on

jonas, fucking shit the worst winger i've seen at this football club, he can dribble but he can't control, pass or cross at all

lovenkrands should be shot for what he did 2nd half when he started having a go at carroll when the ball was still in play

alan smith best player on the park again

defence was fine, as long as we score goals we'll be fine in this league