Newcastle United 0 - 0 Bristol City - 03/10/09 - post match reaction from page 9

Nate

I was sat in the Gallowgate and it was loud in the second half. I can't speak for the Milburn because i wasn't sat in it.

I don't know the dimensions exactly but apparantely theres a quarter of a mile between the Strawberry Corner and the singing section? Dunno how anyone can say "so-and-so in X stand were quiet cos i couldn't hear them". Well, no - there's 43,000 voices in the way. :lol: You can't really judge.

As for the Bristol fans, they certainly appeared to be one of the better away collections we've had up here this season. Jumping and bouncing around quite frequently.

I thought we really missed Duff today. Yes, he didn't do as well as we hoped , but he'd have helped us a lot today, running at them.

It's not the first time we'll be missing someone like Duff. We can try playing 4-4-2 but we don't have two wingers (we barely had one today)... sometimes we'll force ourselves a victory from it but it's never pretty. I say that from now on we go with the 4-1-2-1-2 that stuffed Ipswich on their own patch.

The Bristol lot made very little noise. The Gallowgate today was class bearing in mind what a naff performance it was.

If you say so.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the noisiest it's ever been. But bearing in mind there was fuck all to shout about bar a few moments in the second half, I thought it was alright today.

Where were you sat, out of interest? I was quite far away from the Bristol fans so that may account to why I only heard them a couple times.

Singing corner, which was piss poor today, apart from about 10 minutes in the second half.

:lol:

If you look at Boro, West Brom, etc, they've all lost and drawn a few games at home. We've won all but two which we've drew - we look to have a better home record than most of our rivals.

And Watford.

Harper - 6. Nowt to do, as usual.

R Taylor - 6. He was alright. Got up fairly well and held his line well at the back. Wasteful today though which was a shame, cos he's improved on that of late.

S Taylor - 7. Solid, as usual.

Khizanishvili - 7. Another good performance from him, see Taylor.

Simpson - 5. Out of position, out of fitness, and you could see the desire sapping away from him as the game went on. Struggled badly today.

Guthrie - 6. Started off horrendously and is clearly devoid of confidence at the moment. When he got on the ball in the second half he was better, but he should have fucking buried that volley.

Smith - 9. Superb performance. Smith's role is one that's played on a perilously fine line. He can get it all wrong and he can get it all right. And bar one trademark foul, he was inpenetrable. Even spread the play nicely a couple of times, too.

Nolan - 6. Largely invisible, but got on the ball more in the second half and looked a likely goalscorer.

Jonas - 6. People will probably have a go at me for that, but he was the only player in the side who picked up the ball and ran with it in the final third. Just very wasteful, like the majority.

Harewood - 6. Thought he was pretty garbage for large amounts of the game. But he struggled due to the fact his strike partner was bullied out of the game, and his only element of service was from long aerial balls, which he couldn't deal with in the same way the likes of Carroll and Ranger can. Still, Lovenkrands and Carroll both worked space to shoot during the game, and i can't remember Harewood even having a sniff*.

Lovenkrands - 6. I thought he was unlucky today. I fail to see how he's going to be effective for us in this division. He was bullied out of it by a physical opposition. The only way he'll have any decent effect, imo, is in the same way Nolan does. Off two big strikers.

Subs: Carroll - good, should be an automatic starter. Ranger - no time at all really.

*I got into the ground in the 13th minute, btw. ;)

To say we had no cohesion and any sort of footballing nouse is an exaggeration, cos there was the odd spell where we put some really good play together and had Bristol on the backfoot.

I must have missed them. All of them.

What was it you didn't like? He won practically every header, and apart from that one iffy backpass he didn't put a foot wrong all day. The first twenty minutes where Bristol had a little bit of pressure he was colossal.

Drama queen. We were all over Bristol from the moment the second half kicked off. Till about the 80th minute where it all fizzled out.

I didn't see them either so I guess I must also be a drama queen.  Bristol City are a poor team but we gave them far too much time on the ball and the crowd were screaming at our players to get stuck in.

What an annoying game, but these things happen. Firstly, thought the team selection was brave. Enrique's hamstring made it less than ideal but otherwise, couldn't complain too much. My hatred of Nolan remains but he's never going to be dropped and I admit I single the lad out for being fat and shite. But I digress...

Early on we looked ok, good link up between Harewood and Lovenkrands and if Harewood had scored instead of hitting the post, well it would have been a much different game. Jonas had a shitter, nothing came off for him and he wasn't even able to beat a man today, something he normally does with ease. Looked knackered, but then 2 games in 3 days after a long lay off is the probable reason. It's a shame he's off around South America playing in another inept team for 2 weeks, he needs the rest.

Second half I have no idea how we didn't score, as usual all the action was down in front of the Gallowgate so couldn't see it all that clearly from SJH West Corner but the amount of head in hands moments were ridiculous. Harewood should have had a pen of course, but he is a very odd footballer. His touch isn't great and he seems to slow down before he does anything, he can't do anything at pace. And for a big lad he never seems in a hurry to get in the box. Weird.

Lovenkrands had his best game since coming back, granted that's not difficult, but he had a few decent runs and is hopefully nearing match fitness now. Smith was class and didn't even get booked, Guthrie was average - he never seems to have an easy pass available though, and he doesn't have the pace or trickery to beat a man consistently, which is a big problem when he's on the wing. Nolan, well, he got into the positions in the box and might have scored on another day but when teams are keeping the ball in midfield he's still useles to us, and I still ahve doubts over him in a 4-4-2.

Ryan Taylor, for me, should be used on the right wing, his delivery is the best at the club bar Geremi but Ryan Taylor can run as well, which is always a bonus. I'm not saying he's a flying winger or anything but in this league when he's got two big lads to aim at he does well. His long throw is useful too. Simpson tried at left back but I agree with Yorkie that he was feeling it towards the end, it can't be easy playing with Jonas when he's in his "I'll play deep" mood. Steve Taylor was solid and Zurab, whilst steady, made some gaffes, the short backpass for one and he could arguably have been sent off. Booked in the first half for a pretty cynical foul, he took one of theirs out on the edge of the our box in the 2nd half and the ref played an advantage. Also the obstruction later on was a possible caution, the ref had lost the plot by then though and if he'd sent one of ours off after fucking up every other decision, well he would be dead now I fear.

Carroll was great when he came on, won a lot in the air, worked hard, got shots in on goal and generally pepped us up, unlucky to be left out but could probably have used the rest and I'm glad he responded in the right way.

Bristol City fans were pretty good, out in numbers and loud in spells. They played alright, nothing flash but a decent top 10 team I'd say. Evander Sno, who played right wing for them, was absolutely gash, him vs Jonas was just awful viewing.

So 2 weeks break and we really need it, back to back away games when we come back and hopefully we can get the team sorted out. There's a huge lack of options when we're on the ball and it inevitably gets humped long, and playing the percentages doesn't always end well. Maybe the diamond with 2 big strikers is the way to go, especially away from home. Anything that doesn't involve Butt is fine with me though.

What was it you didn't like? He won practically every header, and apart from that one iffy backpass he didn't put a foot wrong all day. The first twenty minutes where Bristol had a little bit of pressure he was colossal.

I thought after the first fifteen minutes, for the next half an hour he was all over the place, constantly getting turned around & provided no support to the other defenders at all. 

I think both Jonas & him continually put Simpson under pressure today, difficult balls onto his weaker foot, getting themselves out of trouble by putting him in it.  Whether that's just as a result of being new to the back four I don't know.  The body check he got booked for didn't look very clever either, but admittedly I was at the other end of the ground.

These 2 dropped points would have come in handy because we've got a few tough away games coming up before Xmas. We're bound to have the few blips and our form is going to dip from time to time but this performance, on the back of the QPR game, is a bit concerning. I know we're top and that's great but there's still 35 games to go and we need to be putting teams like Bristol City away.

Guest Heneage

As I said at the time the lack of decisions that referee's just aren't giving us is both frightening and annoying.

we need to go two big strikers and get on with it, ...its shit or bust for me.

We need someone who can make things happen at this level. Needn't be a world-beater, just someone with a bit of craft.