Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

There were fairly vocal chants of "Get out of our club, you fat Cockney bastard" at Leicester today. If I was a fat Cockney bastard I wouldn't feel much inclined to invest in our club today, so I hope a fat Geordie bastard is ready and willing with the necessary readies to get into our club. I would hate to think we'd rather sacrifice promotion this season than go up with Ashley in charge.

Update:

Dear Supporter

Happy New Year from NUST!

2010 starts with phase 2 of the ‘Yes We Can’ (YWC) campaign,

setting out our plan that will lead to negotiations with our club on a

‘fan led movement’ that will bring about new ownership with as

little pain as possible for both sides. YWC will continue to support

the team but also pose the difficult questions for the current owners

in a constructive way and most importantly, to continue the momentum

to build a formal business plan, leading to a prospectus which will

detail options of investment for fans, businesses, individuals and

investment companies alike.

Our investment team is now in place but we need the continued support

of you, the fans, to show the businesses and investment companies that

Newcastle United FC is a sound investment that is rooted in the city

and its communities.

Simply signing up on here <http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

to Yes We Can will demonstrate to other potential investors that the

fans should lead ‘change’ at SJP. It doesn’t cost you anything

but it does show that you believe that we can be part of a more

positive future where fans are partners in a ‘new’ Newcastle

United.

On the field we may be top of the league but our hopes and

expectations have been lowered to such a level that simply not selling

our players will be trumpteted by Mr Llambias as a victory. While the

Trust and its partners recognise the harsh realities of the ever

changing world of football we have higher aspirations than that.

January 2010 promises to be an exciting month, there is a lot of

activity and potentially positive announcements. As supporters of the

Trust you will be pleasantly surprised just how far the Trust has come

in the short months since its formation. It is the fastest growing

Trust in the country with the most ambitious agenda.

On that note, you will be receiving an e-mail on 15 Jan announcing our

partners and how the YWC campaign will continue over the coming weeks,

so if you haven't already then please sign up to find out more here

<http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

Regards

Neil Mitchell

Interim Chair

NUST

How did they know about all of these incoming players?!

Update:

Dear Supporter

Happy New Year from NUST!

2010 starts with phase 2 of the ‘Yes We Can’ (YWC) campaign,

setting out our plan that will lead to negotiations with our club on a

‘fan led movement’ that will bring about new ownership with as

little pain as possible for both sides. YWC will continue to support

the team but also pose the difficult questions for the current owners

in a constructive way and most importantly, to continue the momentum

to build a formal business plan, leading to a prospectus which will

detail options of investment for fans, businesses, individuals and

investment companies alike.

Our investment team is now in place but we need the continued support

of you, the fans, to show the businesses and investment companies that

Newcastle United FC is a sound investment that is rooted in the city

and its communities.

Simply signing up on here <http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

to Yes We Can will demonstrate to other potential investors that the

fans should lead ‘change’ at SJP. It doesn’t cost you anything

but it does show that you believe that we can be part of a more

positive future where fans are partners in a ‘new’ Newcastle

United.

On the field we may be top of the league but our hopes and

expectations have been lowered to such a level that simply not selling

our players will be trumpteted by Mr Llambias as a victory. While the

Trust and its partners recognise the harsh realities of the ever

changing world of football we have higher aspirations than that.

January 2010 promises to be an exciting month, there is a lot of

activity and potentially positive announcements. As supporters of the

Trust you will be pleasantly surprised just how far the Trust has come

in the short months since its formation. It is the fastest growing

Trust in the country with the most ambitious agenda.

On that note, you will be receiving an e-mail on 15 Jan announcing our

partners and how the YWC campaign will continue over the coming weeks,

so if you haven't already then please sign up to find out more here

<http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

Regards

Neil Mitchell

Interim Chair

NUST

How did they know about all of these incoming players?!

must be that coz i aint heard anything exciting out of them

Guest Roger Kint

There were fairly vocal chants of "Get out of our club, you fat Cockney b******" at Leicester today. If I was a fat Cockney b****** I wouldn't feel much inclined to invest in our club today, so I hope a fat Geordie b****** is ready and willing with the necessary readies to get into our club. I would hate to think we'd rather sacrifice promotion this season than go up with Ashley in charge.

The FCB doesnt care what is sung at him, you can get 50000 doing it all season he wont care

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't go as far as to say the nufc.com match report for the PNE match is either "pro Ashley" or "anti NUST takeover" but it sounds like their opinion has softened and swung a bit since a month or two ago.

I wonder if any other NUST supporters are changing their opinions too ?

Wouldn't go as far as to say the nufc.com match report for the PNE match is either "pro Ashley" or "anti NUST takeover" but it sounds like their opinion has softened and swung a bit since a month or two ago.

No. I still dislike him, it's just easier to forget about the inept twat when we're winning.

No. I still dislike him, it's just easier to forget about the inept t*** when we're winning.

Not really asking about liking or disliking HIM, just wonder if those who supported the idea still think fan led ownership is a goer and preferable to FCB right now ?

I was just thinking about these guys yesterday. is this still happening???

Probably, although it's in need of another update.

I still think the whole thing could benefit from some sort of timetable.

Why put down something in writing that you can be held accountable to, when the smoke and mirrors effect of mass-emailing with headline grabbing rumours and vague hints which can infer god knows what.

It's a lot less interesting.

Guest jonlane86

There were fairly vocal chants of "Get out of our club, you fat Cockney b******" at Leicester today. If I was a fat Cockney b****** I wouldn't feel much inclined to invest in our club today, so I hope a fat Geordie b****** is ready and willing with the necessary readies to get into our club. I would hate to think we'd rather sacrifice promotion this season than go up with Ashley in charge.

We used to have a fat Geordie b******* and look at the mess he put us in, whoever we end up with I just hope the have the ambition and the right plan to take us forward.  The club needs to be run on a 'not for profit' basis where anything earned is pumped back in.

At least Ashley has started to stabalise what was a very rocky ship, I'm not exactly his number one fan, but the club is a lot healthier financially than it was when he joined, if we get promoted this year we'll be near a position of the club being self sufficient.

I see Portsmouth Supporter's Trust aren't keen on getting a free 10% stake in Portsmouth, and Supporter's Direct back this stance.

Nice to see them acting within their limits without delusions of grandeur.

I see Portsmouth Supporter's Trust aren't keen on getting a free 10% stake in Portsmouth, and Supporter's Direct back this stance.

Nice to see them acting within their limits without delusions of grandeur.

Well obviously, why the fuck would you want 10% of something that's not going to exist in a week? :nope:

Guest michaelfoster

Yes we can is never going to happen, i bet half of NUFC fans had forgotten all about it as tbh i did till i saw this thread

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5973383,00.html

Harris way beyond his brief in my view now. Seems quite the moron.

As for Pro / Anti Ashley. I was rabidly anti Ashley so I suppose I'm rather fickle with what I'm about to say...

I'm hoping, beyond rational hope, that what has happened in the last 18 months has taught Ashley a huge lesson and that he is finally beginning to 'get' how to run a football club. Taking us back up and spending a decent amount of cash would be a good way to confirm any commitment to the club (if he does have any long term ambitions to stay here, which is probably unlikely) but another way would be to invite NUST in. He said almost as he came in he needed outside investment and I don't think a supporters trust could immediately take over and run a club successfully stand-alone, so whilst it would be a rather uneasy marriage, if it gave Ashley what he wanted, in respect of a financial crutch, and gave us fans what we want - some kind of real input to the running of the club - then it might be worth a shot. If it didn't work out then we'd either rely on one party buying the other out or we'd be completely back to square one looking for new owners, but hopefully with the club in a far better position financially for anyone coming in. Unlikely I realise.

As for Pro / Anti Ashley. I was rabidly anti Ashley so I suppose I'm rather fickle with what I'm about to say...

I'm hoping, beyond rational hope, that what has happened in the last 18 months has taught Ashley a huge lesson and that he is finally beginning to 'get' how to run a football club. Taking us back up and spending a decent amount of cash would be a good way to confirm any commitment to the club (if he does have any long term ambitions to stay here, which is probably unlikely) but another way would be to invite NUST in. He said almost as he came in he needed outside investment and I don't think a supporters trust could immediately take over and run a club successfully stand-alone, so whilst it would be a rather uneasy marriage, if it gave Ashley what he wanted, in respect of a financial crutch, and gave us fans what we want - some kind of real input to the running of the club - then it might be worth a shot. If it didn't work out then we'd either rely on one party buying the other out or we'd be completely back to square one looking for new owners, but hopefully with the club in a far better position financially for anyone coming in. Unlikely I realise.

I've always felt that Ashley's mistakes came through naivety, rather than any desire for personal gain or malicious intent. He therefore has the capacity to learn from those mistakes and should be given another chance. Certainly there don't seem to be any wealthier alternatives on the horizon.

Any possibility of partnership between NUST and Ashley is a non-starter though. NUST crossed the boundary between criticism and abuse, and the information they were giving to the public seemed, at best, unreliable. They cannot work together in an atmosphere of trust.

I think the softening towards Ashley might have something to do with the events at Portsmouth, Palace, Notts County etc, and if West Ham go down they will also be placed into administration, and their very existence might be in danger.

In light of that, a season in the Championship and a clear out of a lot of high earning dead wood doesn't seem so bad...

I still think we know too little about Ashley's real intentions.  At the moment, we are led to believe that he keeps pumping in interest free loans.  Isn't that what Gaydamark did at Pompey until he decided he could not afford it anymore and then pulled out?  Yes Pompey spent more than they could afford but so did we and even though Ashley seemingly has made as many cutbacks as he can, he still has to keep loaning the club money.  Surely our debt is just getting bigger all the time and he will want those loans repaid in due course.  We may seem to be managing at the moment  but only because we are so dependent on him and that could change at anytime.

Guest HGB1892

I think the softening towards Ashley might have something to do with the events at Portsmouth, Palace, Notts County etc, and if West Ham go down they will also be placed into administration, and their very existence might be in danger.

In light of that, a season in the Championship and a clear out of a lot of high earning dead wood doesn't seem so bad...

It doesn't until you see what we have at the start of next season, i can see 3 or 4 big earners getting shoved out and replaced with players just as shit but on a fraction of the cash.

Guest HGB1892

I still think we know too little about Ashley's real intentions.  At the moment, we are led to believe that he keeps pumping in interest free loans.  Isn't that what Gaydamark did at Pompey until he decided he could not afford it anymore and then pulled out?  Yes Pompey spent more than they could afford but so did we and even though Ashley seemingly has made as many cutbacks as he can, he still has to keep loaning the club money.  Surely our debt is just getting bigger all the time and he will want those loans repaid in due course.  We may seem to be managing at the moment  but only because we are so dependent on him and that could change at anytime.

Stories about Ashley pumping cash in are just that though, leaked by Derek the Liar no doubt. I don't think the club's debt is anywhere near what it was. the money brought in from transfers and saving from the wages coupled with high attendances mean the club could run itself this season (not beyond unless we go up).

Guest Roger Kint

Stories about Ashley pumping cash in are just that though, leaked by Derek the Liar no doubt. I don't think the club's debt is anywhere near what it was. the money brought in from transfers and saving from the wages coupled with high attendances mean the club could run itself this season (not beyond unless we go up).

Thats why he apparently put money in though, normal football clubs dont pay in cash

Guest HGB1892

Thats why he apparently put money in though, normal football clubs dont pay in cash

i forgot about his policy of paying in full up front and taking money in 'on tick'.

We can all speculate on the club finances but none of us know for sure what the economics of our current set up are. I could well believe he's had to provide some more funding, despite transfers and the wage bill cut. And FWIW, despite the other falsehoods,  whenever Ashley has been rumoured to have stuck money into the club it's been found to be true when the accounts have been published. But in any case we'll know a little bit more when the 2009 accounts are published shortly, although we'll have to wait another year for the 2010 finances.

I've always felt that Ashley's mistakes came through naivety, rather than any desire for personal gain or malicious intent. He therefore has the capacity to learn from those mistakes and should be given another chance. Certainly there don't seem to be any wealthier alternatives on the horizon.

Any possibility of partnership between NUST and Ashley is a non-starter though. NUST crossed the boundary between criticism and abuse, and the information they were giving to the public seemed, at best, unreliable. They cannot work together in an atmosphere of trust.

:thup:

Was just about to post that as a response to the post you've quoted.

Whether it was intentional or not, they've put themselves in an "all or nothing" position in my view.