Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

A key line from today's member update mind:

“The board of the Trust does not have all the answers on what to do next.  We know that abuse, intimidation, and spam will not get us the answers we seek.”

We're working out what to do next, and will be some big online type meeting very soon to more member feedback - we had hundreds of really good ideas emailed in yesterday after we tweeted asking for ideas (some of them a bit crazy but mostly well thought out and positive). Also working on other mechanisms for getting more members involved in running the Trust.

The main message is that we have to be united, and we have to do this (whatever it is) properly and professionally to try and get action/results.

I thought the email the Trust sent out was excellent.

This could be the catalyst to unite the whole fan base for the first time ever and yet people still moan. Howay man lads, let’s get behind them ffs.

Yeah, lets get behind the Trust!

It's time for us to get together and try our best to make a differance. All of us want to get rid of Ashley for a long time and now we are as close as we have ever been.

Ashley wants to sell, we have a buyer that has met Ashleys demands and a fanbase behind it all. Lets convince the PL this is our will and that they shouldn't stand in our way.

Another strange decision. You can only have access to the discussion with Staveley if you sign up as a member.

Just tell people what's been said and let them decide if it's something they then want to be involved with.

We are a member led organisation and it costs £2 to join - of course members that actually contribute to NUST deserve to get the update first for crying out loud.

Updates will be put on website later for everyone else - and Chron already covering it.

It was a piece of constructive criticism Greg, complete with an alternative suggestion. You don't need to be "crying out loud" about it. Unless that's not allowed either.  :-X

It wasn't really constructive at all - it came across as self centred, there is a thurst for knowledge from a lot of people that don't support the Trust to know everything and demand ridiculous things and just rant anonymously on the internet.

We always tell members important info first and then follow up more widely afterwards. - that is only right- the contriubue to the Trust, the support it, they are why we exist.

I told you what I thought was wrong and why, then offered what I believe was a reasonable alternative. That's constructive criticism. Clearly what you won't have is any form of criticism at all, constructive or not. Not sure that asking that you let potential members know what Staveley had to say is a "demand for ridiculous things" either. If the chronicle were carrying it within minutes you'd have been just as well letting people know yourselves and trying to attract members that way.

And we did - after we emailed members it was put on the website. You've sniped and sniped and sniped and so got the answer you deserve.

Just read back so some of this thread - if anyone wants to discuss the pros and cons of the Trust then I am happy to do so when I can if it's in a sensible and constructive manner.

Just like yesterday when you were sniping again - because you wanted information - you refused to understand or comprehend the explanation given, the same here with you not being able to comprehend or understand why members that support and contribute to the trust should get information and updates from the trust first with it following more widely shortly after that.

I called it a "strange decision" because that's what i thought it was - I'm entitled to that opinion on here, just as you're entitled to disagree - this isn't the "NUST members forum" after all. You've totally overreacted to my initial point and the spirit in which it was intended to be made.

I was more than happy to discuss it and, as I've already explained, actually tried to offering an alternative in that very same post. You continue to ignore that, having made your mind up, even when I've again attempted to reiterate it.

Again, you've sniped since your first reply "for crying out loud" ffs. Wrong for wanting (or "demanding" to use your more sniping tone) information on something that you want people to sign up to being represented by, when it hadn't initially been made obvious or apparent that it would be made available anywhere else, aye?

“The board of the Trust does not have all the answers on what to do next.  We know that abuse, intimidation, and spam will not get us the answers we seek.”

Fundamentally disagree. Reminds me of Labour and Starmer calmly playing by the rules while the Tories piss all over every established convention there is.

The PL won't respond to politeness or anything of the kind, they'll respond to something that's going to hurt their bottom line and nothing else. Bit like Mike in that regard actually.

If you think otherwise I'm sorry but you're fucking deluded.

Fundamentally disagree. Reminds me of Labour and Starmer calmly playing by the rules while the Tories p*ss all over every established convention there is.

The PL won't respond to politeness or anything of the kind, they'll respond to something that's going to hurt their bottom line and nothing else. Bit like Mike in that regard actually.

If you think otherwise I'm sorry but you're f***ing deluded.

And how would you so that with abuse and spam? It’s not about being polite - it’s about undertaking coordinated targeted and meaningful action rather than spamming twitter and doing nothing but making noise in your own bubble.

Fundamentally disagree. Reminds me of Labour and Starmer calmly playing by the rules while the Tories p*ss all over every established convention there is.

And how would you so that with abuse and spam? It’s not about being polite - it’s about undertaking coordinated targeted and meaningful action rather than spamming twitter and doing nothing but making noise in your own bubble.

I'm not suggesting I have the answers tbh, I'm saying I disagree with the idea that playing by the rules with people like Ashley and the PL won't work. That's all.

Ashley gave a s*** (to an extent) when people started jacking their tickets in.  The PL need targeting accordingly somehow, something that hurts them. Writing letters won't do a f***ing thing, sorry like but it won't.

Greg, these are my ideas:

1. Ask the CMA to investigate anti-competitive behaviour by the PL and member clubs in colluding to prevent the takeover.

2. Create a stock email that members from throughout the UK can send to their MPs asking them to support Chi’s correspondence with Masters and to support an investigation into the PL by the CMA

3. Actively engage Alok Sharma, Ed Milliband and Lucy Powell to persuade them to push the CMA to investigate the PL. be sure to point out that this issue creates a precedent which has ramifications for 90 other clubs, not just our own

4. Through the FSA engage with other supporter groups. Remind them of times that NUFC fans have helped out their clubs and then ask club groups to engage their own clubs to tell them that interfering in another club’s takeover is not cool.

5. Ask the PL whether they have investigated the information provided to them by C4 about Everton not disclosing Usmanov’s involvement in their takeover. Or any other similar post takeover O&D infringements.

6. Engage with the Chronicle to run some highly negative stories on the PL on their front page.

7. Draw up a long list of ex-players in terms of their national stature and invite them to become involved in NUST and get involved in the critique of the PL.

8. Need some sort of responsible protest. A front door boo for the PL throughout Newcastle maybe? Another one would be a citywide boycott of PL sponsors coupled with online disruption of sponsor social media activities.

9. Accept that moving forward it is going to be hard to run protests and constructively engage with PL and NUFC. Choose which you want to be and open the door for a non-affiliated group to take the other role.

Just insane.

I really thought the deal collapsing would break some of you from your stupors but no - you've all just leaned into it. Genuinely embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan. Fucking hell.

This. It's amazing how blind people want to be to whats staring them in the face.

1. Ask the CMA to investigate anti-competitive behaviour by the PL and member clubs in colluding to prevent the takeover.

2. Create a stock email that members from throughout the UK can send to their MPs asking them to support Chi’s correspondence with Masters and to support an investigation into the PL by the CMA

3. Actively engage Alok Sharma, Ed Milliband and Lucy Powell to persuade them to push the CMA to investigate the PL. be sure to point out that this issue creates a precedent which has ramifications for 90 other clubs, not just our own

4. Through the FSA engage with other supporter groups. Remind them of times that NUFC fans have helped out their clubs and then ask club groups to engage their own clubs to tell them that interfering in another club’s takeover is not cool.

5. Ask the PL whether they have investigated the information provided to them by C4 about Everton not disclosing Usmanov’s involvement in their takeover. Or any other similar post takeover O&D infringements.

6. Engage with the Chronicle to run some highly negative stories on the PL on their front page.

7. Draw up a long list of ex-players in terms of their national stature and invite them to become involved in NUST and get involved in the critique of the PL.

8. Need some sort of responsible protest. A front door boo for the PL throughout Newcastle maybe? Another one would be a citywide boycott of PL sponsors coupled with online disruption of sponsor social media activities.

9. Accept that moving forward it is going to be hard to run protests and constructively engage with PL and NUFC. Choose which you want to be and open the door for a non-affiliated group to take the other role.

Just insane.

I really thought the deal collapsing would break some of you from your stupors but no - you've all just leaned into it. Genuinely embarrassed to be a Newcastle fan. Fucking hell.

This. It's amazing how blind people want to be to whats staring them in the face.

Christ, you two just don’t get it.

Do the majority of people on here think this deal is over or virtually over? Yes they do.

However what you forgetting though is that a large number of people here have fought to get this takeover. A lot of people here were behind the Pardew out protests, the Ashley out protests, the Magpie group, and now NUST.

They have spent the best part of 10 years fighting against Ashley, many older fans fought in 80’s and early 90’s for new owners.

In the last few months we have seen how protests have changed the topic of racism from being in the background, to the top of the agenda. We have seen a 100 year old man gain £30m in donations, and 2m people vote for him to be knighted, because he took a walk in his garden.

You think people here and other NUFC are thinking everything is alright? They aren’t, they are fighting to save anything about the takeover, even if theirs nothing left to fight for. They are doing this because they can’t just lie down, they never have been able too, they have been fighting for their club for too long to even remember when they wern't fighting for it, and they have fought for it when theirs been no hope. They are doing the only thing they know how to do, because when they stop it hurts them, it eats them up, it breaks them.

The people fighting be it via twitter spamming, writing letters and emails, or working with the NUST know it’s virtually over, but that’s why they are doing it, because they haven’t won and when we they haven’t won they have got up, dusted themselves off and gone again, and they will continue to do that until they do win.

Just insane.

Christ, you two just don’t get it.

Do the majority of people on here think this deal is over or virtually over? Yes they do.

However what you forgetting though is that a large number of people here have fought to get this takeover. A lot of people here were behind the Pardew out protests, the Ashley our protests, the Magpie group, and now NUST.

They have spent the best part of 10 years fighting against Ashley, many older fans fought in 80’s and early 90’s for new owners.

In the last few months we have seen how protests have changed the topic of racism from being in the background, to the top of the agenda. We have seen a 100 year old man gain £30m in donations, and 2m people vote for him to be knighted.

You think people here and other NUFC are thinking everything is alright? They aren’t, they are fighting to save anything about the takeover, even if theirs nothing left to fight for. They are doing this because they can’t just lie down, they never have been able too, they have been fighting for their club for too long to even remember when they wern't fighting for it, and they have fought for it when theirs been no hope. They are doing the only thing they know how to do, because when they stop it hurts them, it eats them up, it breaks them.

The people fighting be it via twitter spamming, writing letters and emails, or working with the NUST know it’s virtually over, but that’s why they are doing it, because they haven’t won and when we they haven’t won they have got up, dusted themselves off and gone again, and they will continue to do that until they do win.

👏

I'm not suggesting I have the answers tbh, I'm saying I disagree with the idea that playing by the rules with people like Ashley and the PL won't work. That's all.

Ashley gave a s*** (to an extent) when people started jacking their tickets in.  The PL need targeting accordingly somehow, something that hurts them. Writing letters won't do a f***ing thing, sorry like but it won't.

Sort of agree and disagree with both here. The NUST can’t be seen to be condoning that sort of thing but the spam and attacks on everything the Premier League post isn’t going to make it easy for them to sweep things under the carpet. It’s going to take a lot of effort from all sorts of angles, professional and otherwise, for us to get answers.

Guest ClintonBaptiste

If people want to join NUST theres little wrong with that . If they are joining thinking NUST will somehow help overturn the reality of another failed bid then prepare yourselves for more disappointment .

If people want to join NUST theres little wrong with that . If they are joining thinking NUST will somehow help overturn the reality of another failed bid then prepare yourselves for more disappointment .

Except that, of course, if we don't do anything then there is no chance of avoiding disappointment, but if we support NUST then we are at least in with a chance.

The old "you need to be in it to win it" philosophy, which is so true!

Sort of agree and disagree with both here. The NUST can’t be seen to be condoning that sort of thing but the spam and attacks on everything the Premier League post isn’t going to make it easy for them to sweep things under the carpet. It’s going to take a lot of effort from all sorts of angles, professional and otherwise, for us to get answers.

Totally, wouldn't expect them to endorse it but nor do I expect the PL to react positively to letters etc. Hope to be proven wrong as always mind.

I may be wrong, but i just assumed the NUST would mobilise a credible push for answers more than anything else.

What you have suggested is fantasy and I hope no one joins in that belief.

I may be wrong, but i just assumed the NUST would mobilise a credible push for answers more than anything else.

Question is, if 10,000 sign up under that belief will NUST care. I doubt it.

Well those 10,000 will - NUST is the constituent of its parts - one member, one share, one vote. If you are a member and unsatisfied stand on that ticket for election to the board at the next election (happens every year), give up all of your spare time for free and try and make a difference.

Guest ClintonBaptiste

Well those 10,000 will - NUST is the constituent of its parts - one member, one share, one vote. If you are a member and unsatisfied stand on that ticket for election to the board at the next election (happens every year), give up all of your spare time for free and try and make a difference.

If members vote for NUST to protest outside the PL building will NUST do that ?

The AGM won't be for a while so that might be a little late - and that would be a strange thing to vote on at an AGM.

All PL staff are working from home btw.

Guest ClintonBaptiste

The AGM won't be for a while so that might be a little late - and that would be a strange thing to vote on at an AGM.

All PL staff are working from home btw.

Why would it be a strange thing to vote on ?

Guest Cheesy Beans

Greg, I hope you take this constructively because it isn’t intended on being a ‘dig’.

NUST has such a poor reputation because it appears from the outside the Trust rides on the back of an issue (Rafa leaving, the failed takeover, etc.) to lobby for new members using strong language which leads people to believe action will be taken.

However, what actually happens was the Trust steps back and takes no action. 6 months later the Trust are back in bed with the club and asking people to buy matchday tickets. How is that a representation of Members views?

It certainly feels that the Trust board are more concerned about keeping their own profiles and standing within the club, PL or any other circles that they have - rather than actively support Members’ interests. It’s the same with the Chronicle, they’re far too scared to be cut off from the club rather than actively target them. The Chronicle should be going both barrels at the PL right now, but they’re actually doing next to fuck all.

George Caulkin is also similarly tame. He has a direct line with Staveley and held an interview with her, but didn’t actually get many answers. He was too happy to leave many things on a cliffhanger to support his articles with comments like ‘can it be bought back, who knows?’ rather than asking direct questions and getting direct answers.

I’m not advocating travelling to PL HQ and throwing eggs at the window, but we have been absolutely shit on Members strong opinions should be represented fairly. I appreciate the need to engage in constructive dialog with these organisations, but we as a supporter base and the Trust have tried that (and failed) for years. At what point do we stop accept being treated like shit and actually take some proactive action?

This failed takeover hasn’t such ruined a great opportunity for NUFC, it’s also lost millions of pounds as Newcastle as a city. The current climate will result in thousands of people losing their jobs over the next 12 months and this investment could have been a lifeline. This is bigger than a football club.

There should be huge amounts of pressure put on the PL from all angles, it should be sustained and not allowed to die out.