Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

If people want to join NUST theres little wrong with that . If they are joining thinking NUST will somehow help overturn the reality of another failed bid then prepare yourselves for more disappointment .

I may be wrong, but i just assumed the NUST would mobilise a credible push for answers more than anything else.

What you have suggested is fantasy and I hope no one joins in that belief.

Question is, if 10,000 sign up under that belief will NUST care. I doubt it.

Well those 10,000 will - NUST is the constituent of its parts - one member, one share, one vote. If you are a member and unsatisfied stand on that ticket for election to the board at the next election (happens every year), give up all of your spare time for free and try and make a difference.

If members vote for NUST to protest outside the PL building will NUST do that ?

The AGM won't be for a while so that might be a little late - and that would be a strange thing to vote on at an AGM.

All PL staff are working from home btw.

If it would be a strange thing to vote for at the AGM why is the date of the AGM relevant?

Some good questions - I've answered where I can.

Greg, I hope you take this constructively because it isn’t intended on being a ‘dig’.

NUST has such a poor reputation because it appears from the outside the Trust rides on the back of an issue (Rafa leaving, the failed takeover, etc.) to lobby for new members using strong language which leads people to believe action will be taken.

This is necessary because we've picked the Trust up off the floor - when the new board came in we had less than 1000 members, no access to a fully functioning bank account etc. I could go on. NUST was pretty much on deaths door, and hence an entire new board took over to try and get it up and running again. Hence the push for numbers - agree the messaging around that could have been better - but building the numbers is really important - of course we want more members - it is the entire point of the organisation - we want to go the Premier League demanding answers not for 200 people but for 100,000 or more. It costs £2 - perhaps we should manage expectations a little more - I get that.

However, what actually happens was the Trust steps back and takes no action. 6 months later the Trust are back in bed with the club and asking people to buy matchday tickets. How is that a representation of Members views?

The Trust has never been in bed with the club - this is a common misconception on social media - but you do have to understand that a large proportion of our member base do actually still go to games - our members aren't just made up of the 10 or 20k anti Ashley converts on social media (there is still 40k in the ground each week pre covid. Others are in bed with the club - how many fans forum members took free hospitality from NUFC? - refused by the Trust - not appropriate, hence we were highly critical of the fans forum sham from NUFC.

It certainly feels that the Trust board are more concerned about keeping their own profiles and standing within the club, PL or any other circles that they have - rather than actively support Members’ interests. It’s the same with the Chronicle, they’re far too scared to be cut off from the club rather than actively target them. The Chronicle should be going both barrels at the PL right now, but they’re actually doing next to f*** all.

Again this really isn't the case - and there is no standing with the club or PL as such. I don't really understand how you think this is the case in terms of profile? We actively turn down most things that fall into this category? Bar Alex most of the board have very little social media presence or 'profile' at all? I would say a number of former board members fall into this category - three in particular are on social media every day doing this profile building nonsense

George Caulkin is also similarly tame. He has a direct line with Staveley and held an interview with her, but didn’t actually get many answers. He was too happy to leave many things on a cliffhanger to support his articles with comments like ‘can it be bought back, who knows?’ rather than asking direct questions and getting direct answers.

I’m not advocating travelling to PL HQ and throwing eggs at the window, but we have been absolutely s*** on Members strong opinions should be represented fairly. I appreciate the need to engage in constructive dialog with these organisations, but we as a supporter base and the Trust have tried that (and failed) for years. At what point do we stop accept being treated like s*** and actually take some proactive action?

This failed takeover hasn’t such ruined a great opportunity for NUFC, it’s also lost millions of pounds as Newcastle as a city. The current climate will result in thousands of people losing their jobs over the next 12 months and this investment could have been a lifeline. This is bigger than a football club.

There should be huge amounts of pressure put on the PL from all angles, it should be sustained and not allowed to die out.

This is what we want to do - but in planned, coordinated and targeted way. I do feel we carry a log of baggage of what has gone on in the past with NUST. It seems there is a massive resentment from many - and I do understand that- I wasn't even a member until I was asked if I would support rebuilding the Trust but since getting involved I can honestly say it is a good organisation and really does a lot of good work for the betterment of NUFC and the fans not all well communicated out there- but at the end of the day it is a small group of people running the organisation in theirs spare time. 

We don't have the answers - and we know that - and we've always been open to constructive feedback, offers for help and more. We (as a board) don't have the answers, and we know that - but we set and direct the organisation for the best of NUFC and our fans, treading that fine line at times given we represent both those that still go and those that will never step foot again while Ashley is the owner - all in line with our formal structure and obligations upon us through our rules to harness relations between fans and the club.

A lot of people do forget that NUST set in train and established some of the protest action undertaken a year and a half ago - but it had to be done in a certain way - NUST for example pulled together The Magpie Group back in 2017 as a way of pushing forward with protest outwith the constraints of NUST- it didn't work out and others have taken that forward.

So where do we go now - well we have to try and come together and fight a common purpose - there is a small chance we can get answers from the Premier League - which could aid the process where we finally know for a fact we have a willing seller that wants out - then we need to come together and push forward - we as a board don't have all the answers but the trust exists for Newcastle fans and we all have a common purpose. The one thing I know that will achieve nothing is sitting on the internet having digs at people that give up their spare time to try and do something and to try and stand up for the fans (this is not a dig at you).

So in the coming days we will be working out how the hell we do this - we will have a big online meeting to get feedback, we will be launching a few other ways for members to get more actively involved in the running of the trust and taking action forward. All of this works better with a bigger member base - whatever action we take - doing it on behalf of 100,000 is stronger than on behalf of a few hundred.

Guest Cheesy Beans

:thup:

Some good answers Greg and appreciate them, I won’t quote and respond otherwise we’ll get lost with our conversation but will pick out the key points.

You’re dead right in the first part - NUST needs (as a priority) to manage expectations. They’ve failed miserably so far, and it becomes very confusing. Do you offer a ‘Membership agreement’ at the moment? Maybe this would be good and would outline the key priorities of the Trust to the Members and the expectations of the Trust of Members?

The Trust also aren’t reaching people properly at the moment. I was speaking to an NUFC supporting friend/ST holder yesterday and he’d never heard of it.  I’m not sure how you’re advertising the group at the moment, but this needs to be worked on.

This is also where the ‘profile’ bit comes in. Alex is desperate to raise his profile to further True Faith, it raises a bit of a conflict of interest and a Chair should be wholly independent with no other interests to push.

Maybe the board should split into different committees who hold virtual meetings, which Members are able to join if they want to. For example, one board member could lead on Fan Engagement, another could lead on Matchday Experience and so on... This would clearly outline the work the Trust do and who Members need to contact with ideas, complaints etc. This would also lead to better engagement with the club and other organisations as there would be a lead person.

It’s entirely unclear at the moment who the Trust are, what they represent and how they want to achieve it. They’re the three key points in an organisation like this and this is why there is so much flak heading in the direction of the Trust.

I’m more than happy to do my bit Greg, give me a shout and tell me how I could help and I will. I’m not being critical other than to try and further the direction of the Trust and fanbase as a whole. It’s my primary employment to be a ‘critical friend’, so to speak.

If people want to join NUST theres little wrong with that . If they are joining thinking NUST will somehow help overturn the reality of another failed bid then prepare yourselves for more disappointment .

Except that, of course, if we don't do anything then there is no chance of avoiding disappointment, but if we support NUST then we are at least in with a chance.

The old "you need to be in it to win it" philosophy, which is so true!

Nothing you've said has been true for a long time unfortunately.

Greg, I hope you take this constructively because it isn’t intended on being a ‘dig’.

NUST has such a poor reputation because it appears from the outside the Trust rides on the back of an issue (Rafa leaving, the failed takeover, etc.) to lobby for new members using strong language which leads people to believe action will be taken.

This is necessary because we've picked the Trust up off the floor - when the new board came in we had less than 1000 members, no access to a fully functioning bank account etc. I could go on. NUST was pretty much on deaths door, and hence an entire new board took over to try and get it up and running again. Hence the push for numbers - agree the messaging around that could have been better - but building the numbers is really important - of course we want more members - it is the entire point of the organisation - we want to go the Premier League demanding answers not for 200 people but for 100,000 or more. It costs £2 - perhaps we should manage expectations a little more - I get that.

However, what actually happens was the Trust steps back and takes no action. 6 months later the Trust are back in bed with the club and asking people to buy matchday tickets. How is that a representation of Members views?

The Trust has never been in bed with the club - this is a common misconception on social media - but you do have to understand that a large proportion of our member base do actually still go to games - our members aren't just made up of the 10 or 20k anti Ashley converts on social media (there is still 40k in the ground each week pre covid. Others are in bed with the club - how many fans forum members took free hospitality from NUFC? - refused by the Trust - not appropriate, hence we were highly critical of the fans forum sham from NUFC.

It certainly feels that the Trust board are more concerned about keeping their own profiles and standing within the club, PL or any other circles that they have - rather than actively support Members’ interests. It’s the same with the Chronicle, they’re far too scared to be cut off from the club rather than actively target them. The Chronicle should be going both barrels at the PL right now, but they’re actually doing next to f*** all.

Again this really isn't the case - and there is no standing with the club or PL as such. I don't really understand how you think this is the case in terms of profile? We actively turn down most things that fall into this category? Bar Alex most of the board have very little social media presence or 'profile' at all? I would say a number of former board members fall into this category - three in particular are on social media every day doing this profile building nonsense

George Caulkin is also similarly tame. He has a direct line with Staveley and held an interview with her, but didn’t actually get many answers. He was too happy to leave many things on a cliffhanger to support his articles with comments like ‘can it be bought back, who knows?’ rather than asking direct questions and getting direct answers.

I’m not advocating travelling to PL HQ and throwing eggs at the window, but we have been absolutely s*** on Members strong opinions should be represented fairly. I appreciate the need to engage in constructive dialog with these organisations, but we as a supporter base and the Trust have tried that (and failed) for years. At what point do we stop accept being treated like s*** and actually take some proactive action?

This failed takeover hasn’t such ruined a great opportunity for NUFC, it’s also lost millions of pounds as Newcastle as a city. The current climate will result in thousands of people losing their jobs over the next 12 months and this investment could have been a lifeline. This is bigger than a football club.

There should be huge amounts of pressure put on the PL from all angles, it should be sustained and not allowed to die out.

This is what we want to do - but in planned, coordinated and targeted way. I do feel we carry a log of baggage of what has gone on in the past with NUST. It seems there is a massive resentment from many - and I do understand that- I wasn't even a member until I was asked if I would support rebuilding the Trust but since getting involved I can honestly say it is a good organisation and really does a lot of good work for the betterment of NUFC and the fans not all well communicated out there- but at the end of the day it is a small group of people running the organisation in theirs spare time. 

We don't have the answers - and we know that - and we've always been open to constructive feedback, offers for help and more. We (as a board) don't have the answers, and we know that - but we set and direct the organisation for the best of NUFC and our fans, treading that fine line at times given we represent both those that still go and those that will never step foot again while Ashley is the owner - all in line with our formal structure and obligations upon us through our rules to harness relations between fans and the club.

A lot of people do forget that NUST set in train and established some of the protest action undertaken a year and a half ago - but it had to be done in a certain way - NUST for example pulled together The Magpie Group back in 2017 as a way of pushing forward with protest outwith the constraints of NUST- it didn't work out and others have taken that forward.

So where do we go now - well we have to try and come together and fight a common purpose - there is a small chance we can get answers from the Premier League - which could aid the process where we finally know for a fact we have a willing seller that wants out - then we need to come together and push forward - we as a board don't have all the answers but the trust exists for Newcastle fans and we all have a common purpose. The one thing I know that will achieve nothing is sitting on the internet having digs at people that give up their spare time to try and do something and to try and stand up for the fans (this is not a dig at you).

So in the coming days we will be working out how the hell we do this - we will have a big online meeting to get feedback, we will be launching a few other ways for members to get more actively involved in the running of the trust and taking action forward. All of this works better with a bigger member base - whatever action we take - doing it on behalf of 100,000 is stronger than on behalf of a few hundred.

So it was more important to get numbers (and peoples money) that to be honest with them about the Trusts intentions going forward?

Looked that way at the time, and to see it confirmed is no surprise.

So it was more important to get numbers (and peoiples money) that to be honest with them about the Trusts intentions going forward?

Nope. We've been open and honest about the need to build the membership from day 1.

The Trust doesn't run on magic beans and I can assure you if it was about money it would cost a lot more than £1 for a share and £1 a year for annual membership. We reduced the price so low because it's not about money - it's about making the Trust open and accessible to all.

The money is safe - it's in the accounts - which get audited and filed as they have to.

We've spent a little bit this last year or so but not much - on the work to fight the Strawberry Place developments for example but there's our finances are healthy, and safe, ready for when we need money to do things - like for example........now!

So it was more important to get numbers (and peoiples money) that to be honest with them about the Trusts intentions going forward?

Nope. We've been open and honest about the need to build the membership from day 1.

The Trust doesn't run on magic beans and I can assure you if it was about money it would cost a lot more than £1 for a share and £1 a year for annual membership. We reduced the price so low because it's not about money - it's about making the Trust open and accessible to all.

The money is safe - it's in the accounts - which get audited and filed as they have to.

We've spent a little bit this last year or so but not much - on the work to fight the Strawberry Place developments for example but there's our finances are healthy, and safe, ready for when we need money to do things - like for example........now!

Thanks for the response - my comments came from the reason I haven't joined, which was due to the fact the Trust gained lots of members at times of mass disillusionment, but is there to advocate on behalf of match-going fans, of which I feel there should be none.

I hope the Trust can take a slightly more militant tone going forward. I'll watch developments with an eye open.

Thanks for the response - my comments came from the reason I haven't joined, which was due to the fact the Trust gained lots of members at times of mass disillusionment, but is there to advocate on behalf of match-going fans, of which I feel there should be none.

I hope the Trust can take a slightly more militant tone going forward. I'll watch developments with an eye open.

P.s, Amanda Staveley is a member  :shifty:

P.s, Amanda Staveley is a member  :shifty:

:lol:

Why watch others? Why not do something. Wether militant or not.

All those @ would be much stronger as just one @

Or they could all work together, egos aside. It's not all about one group amalgamating and becoming the biggest/only voice.

Guest neesy111

We've heard this before about uniting.  It won't happen once ego's start coming out.

Yep. Notice how I didn’t point out the “most important” @ they didn’t tag :lol:

Ha.

All those @ would be much stronger as just one @

Or they could all work together, egos aside. It's not all about one group amalgamating and becoming the biggest/only voice.

They could and they should but more @ = more egos unfortunately. Easier to co-ordinate stuff and deploy different action to suitable skill sets as a singular. Ultimately as long as they keep going and trying anything with the best intentions wether it be as one group or not is the main thing.

Look what one guy off his own back can achieve today. Wether it just a little bit of traction it’s still important.

Greg[/member]  Out of interest did Toon For Change consult NUST before sending their letter today to Masters?

Guest Cheesy Beans

Could we not link up with Wigan Supporters Trust and highlight how pathetic the regulation/support voice is in football as a whole?

Greg[/member]  Out of interest did Toon For Change consult NUST before sending their letter today to Masters?

Having seen how they (TfC) operated int he past I doubt they even consulted eachother before sending the letter