Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Guest Craig-NUFC

Stephen Harper ‏@steveharper37 55s

My 10yr old scores a penalty in front of 50,000 people & I smash it straight at a gk who has made it quite clear he's gonna let it in!! #doh

:lol:

Stephen Harper ‏@steveharper37 55s

My 10yr old scores a penalty in front of 50,000 people & I smash it straight at a gk who has made it quite clear he's gonna let it in!! #doh

Add that to the list of why I love Steve Harper

Canny game that and a great reception for AC and our heroes. Atmosphere in the gallowgate seemed canny, and overall a good night.

However..

We got moved into the leazes corner and, christ, it was fucking shit. When it wasn't completely silent, there are people shouting 'who are ya' at the Maldini, etc. You fucking what?

Quite surprised for the amount of love Barton got too (before the tackle). Thought the fans in our end at least would have had more praise for the likes of Beardsley et al. but instead this knacker got a massive majority of the support (besides Harper, obv). Guess it's a sign of the times.

Still was a really good night all in all. Di Canio was playing like it really meant something to him :lol: and half of the players we fielded would put our fucking first team to shame. Really.

Harper though, such a quality bloke  :clap:

Canny game that and a great reception for AC and our heroes. Atmosphere in the gallowgate seemed canny, and overall a good night.

However..

We got moved into the leazes corner and, christ, it was f***ing s***. When it wasn't completely silent, there are people shouting 'who are ya' at the Maldini, etc. You f***ing what?

Quite surprised for the amount of love Barton got too (before the tackle). Thought the fans in our end at least would have had more praise for the likes of Beardsley et al. but instead this knacker got a massive majority of the support (besides Harper, obv). Guess it's a sign of the times.

Still was a really good night all in all. Di Canio was playing like it really meant something to him :lol: and half of the players we fielded would put our f***ing first team to shame. Really.

Harper though, such a quality bloke  :clap:

They played better passing football than our team has in quite a few years :)

Paolo Maldini today paid tribute to the Toon Army after admitting: “You took my breath away.”

The former AC Milan and Italy superstar tackled Steve Harper’s Newcastle United XI in front of a near full house at St James’ Park last night and admitted that he had been taken aback by the passion of the Geordie faithful.

Hundreds of fans waited patiently outside Milan’s city centre hotel yesterday for autographs and pictures with the Serie A greats.

And Maldini along with Franco Baresi, Zvonimir Boban, Mark van Bommel, Alessandro Costacurta and Gianluigi Lentini all played a huge part in raising thousands of pounds for the Sir Bobby Robson and Newcastle United foundations and Great North Children’s Hospital.

Maldini – who won the European Cup five times and Serie A seven times in a glittering career – told the Chronicle in an exclusive and rare interview: “It’s the first time I have ever played here and the fans are amazing. The stadium at Newcastle is always packed. You always enjoy playing at grounds like this.

“Newcastle United is such a big club and deserve to be at the top. I never got the chance to play against them in my career but heard so much about them. I loved the idea of playing here.”

Milan clashed with a star-studded Newcastle team that included Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand, Tino Asprilla and Nobby Solano for Harper’s big night.

And Maldini, playing in a team put together by Azzurri Management, admitted it was an honour to be involved, adding: “We always enjoy playing together. It is always an honour pulling on the AC Milan shirt. I’m not in a perfect shape! But I tried to do well for my team. We always try to enjoy ourselves.”

But he was thrilled to raise money for the trio of Tyneside charities and the man who made 647 appearances in Serie A for Milan, said: “The main thing was we raised some money for charity in Newcastle. That for me is the most important thing. That’s why we accepted the game. It was the main reason.”

:pedro: :fwap:

Thought it was a fantastic occasion, was great seeing legends grace our turf once more. However the game itself never lived up to expectation, the announcer was clueless and the majority of Newcastle fans were kernts for licking Barton's arsehole so much when there was far better players out there who we could have been showing our appreciation to and deserved that sort of reception Barton was given. Was a nice touch bringing the Speed lads on, very moving.

It was mostly bairns there, to be fair. They won't have seen many of the older lot playing.

Even if this was the case, Nolan did far more in his time here than Barton yet he wasn't given anywhere near the admiration Barton was given, found it very strange how much loving he was actually getting considering how much of a rollercoaster career he had with us.

Guest icemanblue

Barton's just a character, people are bound to respond to him.

Yeah, the whole speaking out against the regime counts in his favour, too. It was also his first return to St James', whereas Nolan's had a couple. I can't say his reception bothered me, at all. There was a lot of love in the air, and I don't think it was that important to recognise each player according to their 'success' here.

Barton's just a character, people are bound to respond to him.

Yeah, the whole speaking out against the regime counts in his favour, too. It was also his first return to St James', whereas Nolan's had a couple. I can't say his reception bothered me, at all. There was a lot of love in the air, and I don't think it was that important to recognise each player according to their 'success' here.

:dontknow:

Maybe it was just me baffled then  :lol:

Pedro roaming on the edge of the box  :love:  Dabizas like a Greek god at the back  :love:  Pavs penalty saves  :love:  Ginola  :love:  Rob Lee coming deep for the ball  :love: 

Gillespies cross to Tino  :love:

Cant we have one of these every year  :smitten:

Guest Roger Kint

Cant we have one of these every year  :smitten:

Would be canny to see a 7 a side type tournament at SJP like the 5's at the arena with NUFC legends and Sporting, Ipswich, PSV, Barca etc legends each summer for charity. Make a day of it.