Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Guest pintofscottsellers

I loved the quick throws to Ben Arfa, something Krul doesn't do much. :smitten:

Yeah, me and my mate were talking about that at the match, wish Krul would add that to his game.

Pardew giving both Elliot and Harper a chance seems to have galvanised the pair of them, because the former did well on Thursday and the latter's performance yesterday was much improved to Everton.

Harper was solid against Everton.

Pardew giving both Elliot and Harper a chance seems to have galvanised the pair of them, because the former did well on Thursday and the latter's performance yesterday was much improved to Everton.

Harper was solid against Everton.

not really

Made a couple of good saves against Reading but he was an absolute statue for their first, much like the two he conceded at Everton, we're missing Krul massively.

Yup second that, think Krul would have saved the first 'goal'. Any idea when Krul will be back anyway?

Yeah I have seen quite enough of Harper standing still and watching morosely as the ball rolls into the net.

He just looks defeated, would rather see Eliott at this point, he at least has a chance to get better with time.

readings first was a mis hit, he was trying to whack it not dribble it into the bottom corner.

kruls still the no.1 and can't come back too soon but harper hasn't done anything wrong as yet, in fact for all krul is the better shot stopper i'm more confident of harper when it comes to coming for crosses.

readings first was a mis hit, he was trying to whack it not dribble it into the bottom corner.

kruls still the no.1 and can't come back too soon but harper hasn't done anything wrong as yet, in fact for all krul is the better shot stopper i'm more confident of harper when it comes to coming for crosses.

Krul is much better at manning his box, and much better collecting from corners in my opinion. Harper barely moves off his line

If this thread were to become a Krul vs Harper comparison then it's getting really silly.

Harper is a decent stand in keeper, great club servant and brings mental strength and experience to the dressing room.

Krul is an outstanding young talent who can become one of the best keepers in the world.

Krul is much better at manning his box, and much better collecting from corners in my opinion. Harper barely moves off his line

Can't see that myself.  Krul's biggest weakness is his judgment on crosses and coming off his line.

Not really a criticism of Harper so much, but Krul saves Reading's second 10 times out of 10.

i don't think any keeper would save that more than 2 times out of ten nevermind Krul saving it 10 times out of 10,  it was a glancing downward header from about 5 yards.  it was virtually in the back of the net before the keeper knew anything about it!

Krul's far more assertive, thought. Harper doesn't really have the height or agility to dominate his box, but his handling and judgement are still very good.

Again, can't agree there.  Harper is far more decisive in coming for crosses - he makes his mind up and commits to it.  I have always found that Krul tends to flap a bit and look uncertain as to whether to come or not.

I genuinely must have missed something about Krul's keeping - I think he is a great keeper but I've never been convinced by him coming for crosses or dominating the box with his aerial presence.  I appear to be in the minority though.

Guest Roger Kint

I genuinely must have missed something about Krul's keeping - I think he is a great keeper but I've never been convinced by him coming for crosses or dominating the box with his aerial presence.  I appear to be in the minority though.

As usual a players injury layoff leads to OTT praise, theres no way that Krul is aerially dominant as Mole says, the idea he is most dominant is RTG levels of mentalness :lol:

I really can't remember the last time Krul dropped a cross or corner etc etc and there was a stat last year where he claimed more successful catches from crosses than any other goalkeeper.

So i don't think it's mental as you say.....

Also i believe i have talked about Krul's aerial prowess before so it's nothing to with him being injured.

Not really a criticism of Harper so much, but Krul saves Reading's second 10 times out of 10.

i don't think any keeper would save that more than 2 times out of ten nevermind Krul saving it 10 times out of 10,  it was a glancing downward header from about 5 yards.  it was virtually in the back of the net before the keeper knew anything about it!

Krul gets to that with his better reactions, agility and wingspan. No doubt about it. Harper almost got to it, and those are his weak points.