Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Guest firetotheworks

Nice guy, used to be quite good too. Sad to see him go.

:thup:

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: f***ing unbelievable he's still here.

:clap: Fair play to the lad. It's been said over and over, but he could have forged a pretty good Prem career elsewhere. There were times when you could argue there was little difference between Harper and Given. If he'd been number 1 at a club for 10 years poor lad may have played for England.

Feel like we've cheated him a little. Bloody appreciate his loyalty though.

Cheers Steve :thup:

Naaaah, it was his choice and he was paid handsomely for it. I doubt he'd change much about his career.

His body retired a few years ago, been a well paid passenger since then, can only see this as good news. However I hope he stays around the club, probably the most intelligent person we have in and around the squad and from what I hear been doing a lot of mentoring with younger players.

If he does leave and gets a playing role then fair play to him, enjoy it, but I want him back here ASAP. I'm torn whether he will just be a coach in the future or if he has it in him to become a manager, he's certainly good to listen too.

Been a good, loyal servant. It's been good having decent back-up, something we've been blessed with for a very long time. He'll never know how his career could have gone, or what he could have achieved, I wonder if he regrets not moving when he was younger.

Must have been gutting to see Given leave, then become second fiddle to Krul, though I have no idea what his ambition is like.

They might keep him on in a coaching capacity, wouldn't be surprised seeing as that's probably been happening for some time anyway.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: Fucking unbelievable he's still here.

:clap: Fair play to the lad. It's been said over and over, but he could have forged a pretty good Prem career elsewhere. There were times when you could argue there was little difference between Harper and Given. If he'd been number 1 at a club for 10 years poor lad may have played for England.

Don't get me wrong I think he's been a great servant for the club, but how can we know this given how little he actually played? It's one of those kind of folklore myths that he was as good a Shay and because it can't be disproved everyone seems to have gone along with it. Given was one of the best in the league for a fair period - it's difficult to conclude that someone who has barely played 200 games in nearly 20 years was on a comparable level.

Decent guy. The trouble was Given was one of the greatest keepers during his time here, that meant Harper was always pushed back and hardly got a chance to play. When he did I don't think he was all that confident, as a result he lets in some shockers.

Theirs no doubt in my mind that had he left instead of staying on he would have been an England regular, he really should have left us when Seaman called it a day at international level.

Hope so. Remember getting his autograph at the training ground probably 17 years along with Pedro, Howey, Bracewell et all :lol: f***ing unbelievable he's still here.

Don't get me wrong I think he's been a great servant for the club, but how can we know this given how little he actually played? It's one of those kind of folklore myths that he was as good a Shay and because it can't be disproved everyone seems to have gone along with it. Given was one of the best in the league for a fair period - it's difficult to conclude that someone who has barely played 200 games in nearly 20 years was on a comparable level.

He said "there were times". I certainly think around ~1999, particularly,  it was difficult to choose and as I recall he was preferred for some periods - e.g. 1999 cup final.

Good luck, Steve, true servant  :clap:

Servant?  Not sure that is the right description for an individual that has been rewarded so highly..  He could have left at any point to pursue a playing career, he decided to stick around and take his money!

Dont get me wrong, think he has been a valuable and highly liked memeber of the squand and will be sad to see him no longer part of it.

Personally think he is a top lad.  Good luck Steve. 

He was as good as Given, it's no myth.

He said "there were times". I certainly think around ~1999, particularly,  it was difficult to choose and as I recall he was preferred for some periods - e.g. 1999 cup final.

Spot on - there was a time when he looked better than Given and really looked like he would kick on.